Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Francisco Police Department Considering Dumping Harley, Leasing Other Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:02 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Well let's see. Those jap bikes seem to run forever and are cheap. I wonder what union represents them. The unions only purpose it to keep useless,barely educated enough to spell properly,lazy people working. Inflating costs passed down to us,the consumer. You can thank the precious union for all those jobs going to Mexico. They pay idiots far too much to turn the same 4 bolts all day long costing productivity and in the end money. Now ditch the union,wonder how much that would save right off the top,pay the factory workers what they are worth(come on 35 an hour to impact wrench the same 4 bolts) and maybe products would be more affordable for us people buying it and we could buy more. Thereby keeping those people working because demand would go up. I saw it in construction. The unions rolled in. Some crews joined up. Promising big bucks. Then the cost of building a house went up. So much so that regular folk needed a 50 year mortgage to even buy one. And once it was all said and done the construction companies never got anymore money cause it went to the unions. The working man got a raise but in the end it went to the union. and workmanship suffered because everyone thought the world revolved around them
Let's recap. The the union crews left. People could afford houses again so demand went up,so we got to build more houses. We chased off the union fat,because all that extra promised money went into the union. Yup. Bye bye union. Hello products we can afford.
If you listen to these brainwashed union breathing people the world would end. Corporations would make slaves of the employees and the west would be nothing but sweatshops. Give me a break. Ditch the union. Make a few bucks less AND KEEP YOUR JOB. Or keep the unions,companies set up overseas and you works at McDonalds. If the union is the cure what kind of monstrosity is the disease. The union is the death of American manufacturing. Look around. It speaks for itself.
Yaaaaaa union. Thanks for taking care of the American worker. Took their money and cost them their jobs. Betcha those executives aren't unionized band neither are Mexicans.
Blah, Blah, Blah.
Unions have and have had their place in making this country what it is, sure they union by-laws could be rewrote to allow them to weed out the excess and/or the lazy people that have seniority. With out the union what would "Made in the USA" be today? It would be the same as made in China!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:04 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
why do you care
Evidently the owners of this forum care enough to have the article posted here, if you did not agree with it, why post anything, just move on.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:37 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yours is just another ignorant diatribe

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Well let's see. Those jap bikes seem to run forever and are cheap. I wonder what union represents them. The unions only purpose it to keep useless,barely educated enough to spell properly,lazy people working. Inflating costs passed down to us,the consumer. You can thank the precious union for all those jobs going to Mexico. They pay idiots far too much to turn the same 4 bolts all day long costing productivity and in the end money. Now ditch the union,wonder how much that would save right off the top,pay the factory workers what they are worth(come on 35 an hour to impact wrench the same 4 bolts) and maybe products would be more affordable for us people buying it and we could buy more. Thereby keeping those people working because demand would go up. I saw it in construction. The unions rolled in. Some crews joined up. Promising big bucks. Then the cost of building a house went up. So much so that regular folk needed a 50 year mortgage to even buy one. And once it was all said and done the construction companies never got anymore money cause it went to the unions. The working man got a raise but in the end it went to the union. and workmanship suffered because everyone thought the world revolved around them
Let's recap. The the union crews left. People could afford houses again so demand went up,so we got to build more houses. We chased off the union fat,because all that extra promised money went into the union. Yup. Bye bye union. Hello products we can afford.
If you listen to these brainwashed union breathing people the world would end. Corporations would make slaves of the employees and the west would be nothing but sweatshops. Give me a break. Ditch the union. Make a few bucks less AND KEEP YOUR JOB. Or keep the unions,companies set up overseas and you works at McDonalds. If the union is the cure what kind of monstrosity is the disease. The union is the death of American manufacturing. Look around. It speaks for itself.
Yaaaaaa union. Thanks for taking care of the American worker. Took their money and cost them their jobs. Betcha those executives aren't unionized band neither are Mexicans.
Comment without any factual or even intelligent comments. Rants like yours belong on a Fox network blog.
The one thing most anti union bozo's like you don't realize is the only reason non union shops might pay a decent wage, is to keep unions out. Why do you think that is? What do you really believe would happen to the work environment if unions (or the threat of a union) wasn't there? Without a union (or the threat of) wages would be so poor that, what we are seeing with the disparity between those that have and those that don't would most likely reach a critical mass and your cozy little life would only be a dream.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 AM
cam-921
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do all you anti-union guys really believe that Harley or any other companies would pass the savings on to you if they saved money by paying untrained idiots less money? Prices would not drop, profits would go up. Executives and stock holders would get the money instead of the working man.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 AM
cam-921
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot compare a lowest bidder type industry like construction with Harley. If you want a Harley, there is only one company that makes them...

Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I doubt this thread was intended to be a union discussion, but it is hard to sit back and not provice another viewpoint. I believe that once upon a time there was a need for unions. Go back and read history - read more then union literature. Get plenty of background to make a informed decision. Unfortunately many unions think they know how to run the business, which is the farthest thing from the truth. The unions are only there for 2 reasons, increase their membership (so they can improve their revenues) and give the appearance that they improving their members overall lifestyle. Having to deal with zealous union workers on an ongoing basis who really believe that they know better then you, it amazes me how misinformed they truly are. They think just because they are working, that the company is rolling in dough.They don't have any clue as to what their productivity means to the bottom line, how their abuse of the equipment costs the company much needed resources, and their work rules require the company to cut corners elsewhere. Before you union mongers start yelling, let me tell you that in the end only 2 things happen, either the customer steps up and pays more or you do what I am about to do and that is shut down 2 locations due to this ridiculous situation. I feel bad for some of the people at these locations, but those staunch supporters - I hope that they can make their mortgage payments once they don't have a check coming in. Hey, maybe their business manager can help them out as I am sure his pay will not be affected!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:18 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Pardon me but fuc off and die with the anti union dribble will ya , you want your precious bike built in Mexico or India ? That's what's coming next , and you think they have warranty issues now just wait till you get a bunch minimum wage idiots involved get fuggen real .
I think the point of the anti-union dribble is that the unions are WHY stuff is built in Mexico and India. The only purpose of a union is to price labor higher for their members than the market rate, but they can only do that if they can control the labor pool. Opening up easier trade with foreign countries in the last few decades opened up labor the unions can't control, so the job naturally went there. If not for the unions, stuff wouldn't be made in Mexico and India - it would still be made here and it would cost a lot less.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Unions , this crap again, LOL

Unions are good at creating a work force of lazy cry babies, wanting their high wages and a bunch of breaks. Union don't mean better quality then non union.

A big percentage of union workers be out of a job if they acted and work the way they do without the union protecting them. It's the truth.

I'm not against unions, but I hate the cry babies.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:45 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

A lot of departments send a couple of motor unit officers to school to learn service on the H.D. bikes and things like replacing clutches...tires...etc...As far as replacement parts go...Harley parts are a lot cheaper than metric parts...with a lot more options of after market replacement parts...After a couple of years I bet they will come back to Harley...The grass always looks greener on the other side....Could be because it gets more fertilizer...And we know what that is made of.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't get the cheaper maintenance cost statement. My friend had a Bmw and the main reason he ditched it was the cost of the maintenance. The schedule for service, and the cost per hour were alot more then what Harley recommends and charges. And from what, I hear Bmw won't train police dept mechanics to do the service on the bikes, so they would need to be taken to the dealer for simple oil changes if there is such a thing. It seems every so often the threat of using foreign made vehicles comes up just to see how opposed people are to the idea. If they get the not made in the "US of A" uproar, they drop the idea until the next time their due for replacements.,,

Quick Reply: San Francisco Police Department Considering Dumping Harley, Leasing Other Bikes