General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting article

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:34 PM
TheBreeze521
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting article

Interesting article

Two interesting points to me:

1) Registered motorcycles went up 68% in SC, deaths went up 9%. My guess is riders are owning more than one motorcycle and many who buy motorcycles don't end up riding much.

2) Motorcycle riders contributed to 80% of the motorcycle deaths. I always thought intuitively 2/3 of the risks of motorcycling could be controlled by not doing dumb things. In these statistics anyway the controllable risks were even higher.

Riders can learn from these statistics and from reports from individual crashes.

I prefer to not be road pizza if I can help it.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Interesting article

heres a statistic,,,
reading statistics, will make you a statistic

Old 11-28-2006, 07:42 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member

You can make stats say anything...

Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 PM
TheBreeze521
Cruiser

Easy now. I wasn't suggesting anything like...laws.

There are those who analyze and those who don't see the need.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:15 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ineresting article. I think that some of it just shows that when we are reckless than we become a victim or our actions.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: randy78045

Agree. Analyze all you want, it still means different things to different analists. Is **** the root here?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those are surprising statistics. I would of thought that cagers would contribute to over half of motorcycle fatalities.
Then again I have been riding off and on for 35 years and the only accident I have had with a motorcycle was my fault.
I have had countless close calls due to the action of some cager.
Tom

Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 PM
RKGary
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: randy78045

Your conclusions are how you interpret the info. "** In almost three-fourths of the fatal crashes - 74 of 102 - bikers contributed to their own deaths. Eighteen bikers were driving under the influence. Thirty-one were speeding or going too fast for conditions" this is not exclusive of a cager pulling in front of you and you die? The info is not exclusive in each statement, it is presented to shock you. Presented by cagers to shift blame for the initial problem??

Old 11-28-2006, 09:30 PM
siramazing
Cruiser

We are taught in Motorcycle Safety Courses to manage risk by always thinking ahead. That concept resounded with me because I am a pilot, and as pilots, we are always taught to manage risk. Pilots are always reading about aviation accidents to see what the causes were, hoping to be able to avoid those same conditions in our own flying. Motorcycle riders must look at the same conditions to avoid being put in the same position as someone who has had an accident. Yes, there are circumstances that cannot be managed away: the guy who runs a red light and hits you, the guy who isn't looking at what is ahead of him and rear-ends you, etc. It is foolish to not accept that riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous, simply because when someone hits you, or you hit someone, you have no protection around you, and you are going to be injured. The only solution is to accept the fact that there is risk, and then do all you can do to manage that risk beforehand. I am learning. I have just passed my first 1,000 mile mark, and have learned a lot in that time, and hopefully will continue to learn how to be a capable, safe, rider. As pilots, we are told that the first 200 hours after we get our licenses is a learning experience, and if we survive the first 200 hours, the chances of our becoming long-term, safe pilots, is increased exponentially. Looking back at my first 200 hours, I see the truth in that. I now realize that my first 1,000 miles on my bike has been the same, and I know I am not through learning.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:48 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RKGary
Your conclusions are how you interpret the info. "** In almost three-fourths of the fatal crashes - 74 of 102 - bikers contributed to their own deaths. Eighteen bikers were driving under the influence. Thirty-one were speeding or going too fast for conditions" this is not exclusive of a cager pulling in front of you and you die? The info is not exclusive in each statement, it is presented to shock you. Presented by cagers to shift blame for the initial problem??
I see your point(s). I had the same thought when I read that article this morning. They sort of slant it toward "it's the biker's fault" with the "contributed" remark.

If I blending with the traffic around me by riding 10 mph over the posted limit and a car turns left across my path (or pulls out in front of me) and I die, is it my fault? Hell no!

I do think that there are a LOT of inexperienced riders on the roads...at least on weekends when it's 70F or above. I know it's a very wise idea to take the motorcycle safety course. I also KNOW that every cage driver should take a driver safety course!

Of course, people are only human and mess up routinely...hence why I ride using the old "like I'm invisible"!