General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to tell if a helmet is DOT or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:21 PM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to tell if a helmet is DOT or not

Was out riding with some friends yesterday in a pretty popular area of North Ga yesterday and we came to a police checkpoint. They were doing a license and helmet check. When it came time to check my helmet the cop told me it was not legal, I told him under one of my stickers in the back showed the DOT endorsement and when I purchased it, it was advertised as DOT approved. He looked at the tag on the inside of the helmet and told me he wasn't sure at that point and it was "arguable" at best? That confused me, I played stupid and he told me after Jan 1st I could receive a ticket even though he honestly didn't know if it was legit or not. Then he went on to say that all novelty helmets all have the DOT sticker on the back of the helmet which I just listened and played dumb at that point.

I looked on the inside of the helmet and it says nothing about being DOT approved on the label. So I looked at my wife's helmet and once again hers has a sticker on the back but nothing on the label, cop never said anything about hers not being DOT approved. Then he told me to compare how thick my helmet was compared to one of my buddy's helmets and told me mine wasn't thick enough. I checked 2 other DOT helmets I have here and neither of them have DOT on the inside of the helmet either. I know when I used to drag race my helmets would either have a sticker on the back of the helmet or label on the inside of the helmet.

Now I am kinda pissed and not wanting to buy another helmet. Anyone have any experience or advise about this situation?

Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

simply remove the sticker over the DOT.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM
11glide103
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, the sticker HAS to be Visible or it HAS to have it on the INSIDE. Tahts what the last Police Officer told me at the last check we went through in Virginia.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
simply remove the sticker over the DOT.
I offered to do that and he told me it was not necessary. I was more than cooperative and not my usual smart *** self.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 11glide103
Yep, the sticker HAS to be Visible or it HAS to have it on the INSIDE. Tahts what the last Police Officer told me at the last check we went through in Virginia.
Where in Virginia did you encounter a motorcycle checkpoint? I've never seen one in my travels.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,979 Likes on 4,171 Posts

Does the helmet look DOT with the thick styrofoam? Or like a shell bennie? I can see some not liking labels on outside but getting to point were the inner label stuck to the foam should be left alone. Most void warranty when pulled and leave the label void still on after pulling off. And what ever you do do not DOT a non DOT. I know in NY the fine goes from a few hundred to a $1000.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-23-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my two DOT and CE approved helmets don't say anything on the inside but I sure would google the company's website where they show it's DOT certified.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhere on the inside tag it should read: FMVSS218. That should mean it's legal. It has nothing to do with the thickness, those officers need to quit living in the 80's. My carbon fiber helmet is no bigger than my Novelty helmet but it is legal.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

whatever you do DON'T put a dot sticker on a novelty helmet. that's, from what I've been told an even heavier fine than having a novelty helmet without a dot sticker.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Quick Reply: how to tell if a helmet is DOT or not