General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to tell if a helmet is DOT or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

In Connecticut you must have a state approved dew rag when riding with no helmet, or be bald with really cool (cheap) sunglasses.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's doorag.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:06 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem with the external label thing is that at one time FMVSS 218 did NOT require external labeling. So, you could own a helmet that fully complies with the "safety" requirements of code but it might not have a sticker (most likely if it was manufactured before 2000).

If I'm not mistaken, this was challenged in court by an individual (who received a ticket for an improper helmet) whose helmet met the safety requirements of the standard but simply didn't have a sticker on it. It was challenged (and charges dismissed) based on the fact that there are a lot of helmets out there that do have DOT stickers that don't meet the requirements of the standard.

BTW, I heard the next law that's going to be passed pertaining to motorcycles is that big brother is going to make us all shave the back of our heads and get an "M" tattooed on the back of our heads to prove that we have a motorcycle license.

Last edited by FBFletch; 10-26-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Ignition interlock. Bike won't start unless you are wearing an approved helmet. Or doorag.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

Skullcrush with DOT under the finish. Krylon clear & a little wet sanding works wonders.

Attached Thumbnails how to tell if a helmet is DOT or not-dot.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
All of these back and forth assertions made me curious, so I checked our 3 helmets, all of which are new within the last year:

My Bell RS-1--DOT/Snell sticker is on TOP of the clear coat (as you can clearly see in the photo) and could easily be peeled off. The label inside, on the chin strap, only talks about replacing the helmet if dropped or damaged. No mention of DOT or Snell.

My HJC half helmet--DOT sticker is on TOP of the clear coat and could easily be peeled off. Same story on the label inside. No mention of DOT.

My wife's Bell Revolver--DOT sticker is on TOP of the clear coat and could easily be peeled off. Same story on the label inside. No mention of DOT.

Both the Bell helmets have trapezoid-shaped labels that include the helmet model name, so they don't look like the fake stickers. The HJC sticker just says DOT and looks more generic as you can see in the photos.

In light of this, it seems to me that a fake sticker is likely to keep your helmet from even being looked at, unless it is obviously a novelty helmet with little or no cushioning lining.
FMVSS testing compliance is a self-certification process. This means it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to ensure that their product meets or exceeds all of DOT's requirements for their product if it is labeled or marketed as such. Generally this is done through independent testing.

If a product is found to not be compliant, the government can sue the manufacturer, as they did to NexL Sports in 2004, and Advance Carbon Composite in 2008 and again in 2010.

If your three helmets do not meet the requirements I listed previously, then they are not DOT compliant and are, in fact, guilty of false advertising, opening them up to lawsuits.

Actual tests conducted from FY 2000 through FY 2008 are available here:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/

Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone who is going to wear a helmet go to all this trouble to avoid wearing a helmet that will actually provide some protection?

"Yeah, I stuck it to the man! I totally put a fake DOT sticker on my untested novelty helmet! **** yeah! Of course, after my accident, I eat through a tube and get coloring books for Christmas but I stuck it to the man, man!!!!!"

Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by MattInFla
Why would anyone who is going to wear a helmet go to all this trouble to avoid wearing a helmet that will actually provide some protection?

"Yeah, I stuck it to the man! I totally put a fake DOT sticker on my untested novelty helmet! **** yeah! Of course, after my accident, I eat through a tube and get coloring books for Christmas but I stuck it to the man, man!!!!!"
Op's question was " how do you identify DOT helmet". First step to compliance. And gawd knows we all want to comply. We must comply. We must comply.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
Skullcrush with DOT under the finish. Krylon clear & a little wet sanding works wonders.
Lmao I like your style.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Look for the DOT sticker on the out and Insdie

Quick Reply: how to tell if a helmet is DOT or not