General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to tell if a helmet is DOT or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just downloaded the Nolan N102 spec sheet from Nolan's website to my phone so at least I have that going for me, now if I could just find something from EPA to cover my exhaust..

Old 10-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,852 Likes on 19,334 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Where in Virginia did you encounter a motorcycle checkpoint? I've never seen one in my travels.
I ran into one between Cherokee and Robbinsville NC on my way to the Dragon at the intersection of US 74 and NC 28 the second week in August .... just after I purchased a leagl DOT helmet for the trip. I'd been wearinf a skull helmet for many years in Michigan and had never had a problem .... I guess it was worth the purchase price after all.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by horseplay
Was out riding with some friends yesterday in a pretty popular area of North Ga yesterday and we came to a police checkpoint. They were doing a license and helmet check. When it came time to check my helmet the cop told me it was not legal, I told him under one of my stickers in the back showed the DOT endorsement and when I purchased it, it was advertised as DOT approved. He looked at the tag on the inside of the helmet and told me he wasn't sure at that point and it was "arguable" at best? That confused me, I played stupid and he told me after Jan 1st I could receive a ticket even though he honestly didn't know if it was legit or not. Then he went on to say that all novelty helmets all have the DOT sticker on the back of the helmet which I just listened and played dumb at that point.

I looked on the inside of the helmet and it says nothing about being DOT approved on the label. So I looked at my wife's helmet and once again hers has a sticker on the back but nothing on the label, cop never said anything about hers not being DOT approved. Then he told me to compare how thick my helmet was compared to one of my buddy's helmets and told me mine wasn't thick enough. I checked 2 other DOT helmets I have here and neither of them have DOT on the inside of the helmet either. I know when I used to drag race my helmets would either have a sticker on the back of the helmet or label on the inside of the helmet.

Now I am kinda pissed and not wanting to buy another helmet. Anyone have any experience or advise about this situation?
Most DOT Helmets, the DOT sticker is lamented under the clear coat, on the back outside, of helmet.You can't peal the DOT off a DOT approved helmet.Most Novelty helmets the sticker can be peeled off!!!

Last edited by arealinvestor; 10-23-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Most DOT Helmets, the DOT sticker is lamented under the clear coat.You can't peal the DOT off a DOT approved helmet.Most Novelty helmets the sticker can be peeled off!!!

Outlaw helmets are DOT but the DOT sticker can very easily be pealed off.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:52 PM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am not mistaken, the DOT cert on a helmet says it meets the Federal DOT standard. And I also read somewhere that the foam padding had to be a minimum 1" thick to meet that cert along with some other tests.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

contact the company...

Old 10-23-2011, 07:59 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

move to a non-commie state. sorry, but it sounds like a motorcycle only checkpoint, am i right? no way can that be legal, to hell with the state, its the feds. that would be like setting up a checkpoint to only stop minivans, not gonna fly.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 PM
horseplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by grf000
Does the helmet look DOT with the thick styrofoam? Or like a shell bennie? I can see some not liking labels on outside but getting to point were the inner label stuck to the foam should be left alone. Most void warranty when pulled and leave the label void still on after pulling off. And what ever you do do not DOT a non DOT. I know in NY the fine goes from a few hundred to a $1000.
I compared the styrofoam thickness to my wifes DOT tonight and its the exact same. I really think the trooper has no clue what he was looking for!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM
horseplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
contact the company...
I sent them an email this afternoon stating my situation. I asked them to provide paperwork for the helmet in a nice way, we will see if they respond.

There is no way the DOT can be peeled off of the back of the helmet, I checked this as soon as the helmet arrived at my house.

I'm just going to remove the sticker that covers it and ride with the damn thing. If I get a ticket, I will gladly goto court and fight it. Basically Ga law says you have to have protective headgear and eye coverage.

I will also stop by some cycle shops and look at their helmets and the labels inside them and see if they say anything about being DOT approved.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 PM
horseplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by dieselguy65
move to a non-commie state. sorry, but it sounds like a motorcycle only checkpoint, am i right? no way can that be legal, to hell with the state, its the feds. that would be like setting up a checkpoint to only stop minivans, not gonna fly.
One of the guys in our group said that he had heard the State Patrol was going to start doing these kind of checkpoints. The road we were on US129, is very popular for bikers and the crotch rockets are the ones that keep the heat on the mountain the way they fly up and down. The cops were looking for seatbelts in cars and handing out a flyer that was talking about "legal motorcycle riding in GA"

So basically they were waving the cars thru and pulling the bikes to the side of the road.

Quick Reply: how to tell if a helmet is DOT or not