General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10% Ethanol in your Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 10% Ethanol in your Fuel

Paul G Date 11/28/2006 6:51:12 PM
We can not wean ourselves from OPEC quickly enough. I say, let the OPEC nations figure out a way to eat there oil when we stop buying it.
If we could tell OPEC to stick up their back sides, do you know how many foreign policy issues this would resolve? We could stop making all the camel jockey's rich and there wouldn't be much of a war on terror since they'd all be broke.

I know that wasn't a PC comment, but i really don't care....

Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,484 Likes on 4,379 Posts

Well...
One of the big refineries here is undergoing a unit addition to use the goop that comes from the undeveloped Canadian oil tar sands. When oil is above $20per barrel (42 gallons)... which it damn sure is!... the economics work. The technology of getting it out of the ground and moving it through pipelines has been perfected now with several methods depending on the goop in the reserve. Conoco-Phillips has some good info available on what's underway. The map of the reserves is awesome.

Hold onto your chaps now!... the oil sands deposits are enough for the next century, depending on how much the developing countries may incr. their appetite for energy. Other oil refineries in the North are on tap for new units too, to get into production.

It is more than a little ace in the hole for North America (go kiss a Canadian!). OPEC can go find a way to convert camels to their crude. If this truly does progress, as it finally is possible, then you are right about some of the political and balance of power issues in the world.

This will be a North American production boost that Hillary and her friends can't quash cause the source is not the U.S.

And... Harleys can survive and thrive!
ORIGINAL: Tin Gizel

Paul G Date 11/28/2006 6:51:12 PM
We can not wean ourselves from OPEC quickly enough. I say, let the OPEC nations figure out a way to eat there oil when we stop buying it.
If we could tell OPEC to stick up their back sides, do you know how many foreign policy issues this would resolve? We could stop making all the camel jockey's rich and there wouldn't be much of a war on terror since they'd all be broke.

I know that wasn't a PC comment, but i really don't care....

Old 12-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

One thing about the Ethanol...........

Up here in Indiana, all of the gas station have up to 10% Ethanol in their gas, however there is one company's gas that makes a huge difference.

BP/Amoco. They use an alcohol (i.e. Ethanol) that is called isoprofilene. This is the most expensive alcohol you can buy.

This has one very distinct advantage - hardly any water seperation. (I.e. no pool of water at the bottom of the tank.) All of the other fuel manufacturers use a cheaper alcohol. If you let the competitors gasoline sit dormant for a period of 3 months or more - the gasoline would seperate into pools of gas and water. Since gasoline is lighter it would be sitting on top of the water that is pooled at the bottom of the tank. If you started your machine when it is like this - you would be sucking in nothing but water.

So, I recommend - BP/Amoco Ultimate Gasoline for storage purposes. No water pooling in your tank!

Old 12-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Paul G
Advanced

I have always prefered Amoco or now BP for my fun cars and bikes. My second choice is Mobil. I use anything cheap in the DD's.