General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10% Ethanol in your Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:02 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 10% Ethanol in your Fuel

ORIGINAL: Legendary6301
P.S. I know with all the gas issues in the world that Ethanol is the way things are moving to right now. I wonder if my carbs are gummed up? Carb cleaner to the rescue?
E10 does not gum up anything, it does the opposite. If you have an older vehicle that has never seen E10, then you are probably going to need to change the fuel filter. And if you stay w/E10, you may want to fatten up the jets.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:12 AM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think E10 has arrived here...

Old 11-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Legendary6301
Cruiser

I have a 2004FatBoy (carbed). I had my biked dyno'd a few months ago by an INDY and they said everything looked good. Made some minor adjustements to the jets. You suggesting to replace the fuel filter? Seems to only run rough when it is 70 degrees and higher out, gets especially bad in stop and go traffic.

I have had all sorts of suggestions for oil coolers and it is overheating and air cooled theory. My buddy rides a 2003 Dyna Low Rider and has never had any similiar experiences. Nor have I heard much from anyone else about the stalling at lights or riding rough...rides fine when moving down the highway.

This started happening for me when I got the new exhaust and stage 1 kit. I've had the bike rejetted 3 times and it still does it. I guess I have to live with it. Still love my bike anyway.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:26 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: huffhuff
Ethyl was a higher concentration of lead additive to increase octane. being raised in a gas station/harley shop first question to the drive up car was "fill it with ethyl?"
ORIGINAL: grunt

E10 has been around for decades. Parent used it in their cars all the way back to the early 80s. Think it was just called Ethyl or something like that.
Wish I could remember the E10 name we had back then. Durn somtimers disease! [:@]

Old 11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Legendary6301
I have a 2004FatBoy (carbed). I had my biked dyno'd a few months ago by an INDY and they said everything looked good. Made some minor adjustements to the jets. You suggesting to replace the fuel filter? Seems to only run rough when it is 70 degrees and higher out, gets especially bad in stop and go traffic.
Higher temp problems seem more like a vapor lock/delivery problem. Unless very polluted w/water, E10 should have no problems. Ethanol itself evaporates quicker, but it takes it being a majority % for that to manifest, and even then the temps would have to be 'south' hot.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,484 Likes on 4,379 Posts

Hey, you old coot! It was called gasohol back in the dark ages

Ethyl was a higher concentration of lead additive to increase octane. being raised in a gas station/harley shop first question to the drive up car was "fill it with ethyl?"

E10 has been around for decades. Parent used it in their cars all the way back to the early 80s. Think it was just called Ethyl or something like that.
Wish I could remember the E10 name we had back then. Durn somtimers disease! [:@]

Old 11-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,484 Likes on 4,379 Posts

Ok... before you say it... I remember it too[&o]
ORIGINAL: Big Sled

Old 11-28-2006, 01:27 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look on the pump, it should say that it contains E10. I don't know of a gas in my area that does not have it. i.e. South Jersey. Don't seem to have a problem except my last tank (yesterday) was short 20MPG. But I think that is some other "winter additive". I noticed the E10 months ago.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:01 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Big Sled
Ah yes .. .I remember it well

Old 11-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

With a carb Sportster all you need to do is open the starting jet slightly to increase the fuel/air mixture. No more low idling rev caused by the corn then. Downfall is lower gas mileage, of course.

Wonder what the benefits are if the mileage goes down so much? Just a government con or what?

I can see switching over to corn if it solves our oil dependancy, sure. Yet is seems we should do that with much higher corn content and with new vehicle fuel supply design and a new pump for corn fed only, like the one for diesel. Then we slowly phase out gasoline just as we did lead additive, but over ten or twenty year period as the gas machines die.

We will then find all of our old bike and cage gas tanks too small after we redo the jets and air, etc. It takes a lot more corn fuel volume to power an engine than gasoline. It also burns hotter, I think so maybe the odd pump becomes a gas pump after all.

Quick Reply: 10% Ethanol in your Fuel