General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avons vs Dunlop vs Metzler

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011 | 09:44 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

How many miles do you have on the tires? Why are you riding on tires that are dry rotted and you don't trust?

Very strange! I've never had that experience with Avon Venoms, nor has anyone I ride with.

Originally Posted by zukeeper
ohhhh...well in that case , ya ...you got me beat on the miles lol.................

the venoms I'm running now...2 years old , front 21 inch is dry rotted, rear looks ok....was running 75/80 in eastern tn in a heavy rain, front and rear both lost traction ....bike literally shifted/slipped a foot left....wife was staggered behind me ( on dunlops no less) she asked me at a gas stop what happened..she just seen bike break free....
second time in light rain , sweeping left curve in southern IL ....front tire lost traction...damn near put me on a soft shoulder....I've backed off since then when the pavement is wet , I just don't trust them

Old 10-26-2011 | 09:59 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I'll stay with the lops,, had good luck with them.

Old 10-27-2011 | 09:15 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
How many miles do you have on the tires? Why are you riding on tires that are dry rotted and you don't trust?

Very strange! I've never had that experience with Avon Venoms, nor has anyone I ride with.
really have no idea on the miles ,I'd have to sit and figure it out . I don't pay much attentin to the odometer...its always on the trip so I know how much fuel I have

I don't trust them on wet pavement , on dry they are fine..........never had a dryrotted tire on a car cause me grief , wasn't worried to much about that part...hoping the tube is still in good shape lol

as far as never hearing about it , theres a guy on page 1 of this thread that had the same thing

Old 10-27-2011 | 01:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by zukeeper
really have no idea on the miles ,I'd have to sit and figure it out . I don't pay much attentin to the odometer...its always on the trip so I know how much fuel I have

I don't trust them on wet pavement , on dry they are fine..........never had a dryrotted tire on a car cause me grief , wasn't worried to much about that part...hoping the tube is still in good shape lol

as far as never hearing about it , theres a guy on page 1 of this thread that had the same thing
If a tire is old enough to look dry rotted or weather checked it's gotten hard no **** you don't trust it when wet think about it man , that will happen with any brand in that condition .

Old 10-27-2011 | 01:49 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain

Never met one who wasn't shilling a particular brand , usually what ever they had a big stock of .
Not always true I should have said Honest tire guy, the good ones will tell you which ones are good and which have the most complaints. I go to an indy dealer that sells all the brands the brand he sells the most Dunlop. Is that the best tire for every bike and situation? Probably not and its good tires do wear try all the brands and make your own decision. YMMV

Old 10-27-2011 | 01:53 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
[/B]

Never met one who wasn't shilling a particular brand , usually what ever they had a big stock of .
Not the Honest tire guys, the good ones will tell you which ones are good and which have the most complaints. I go to an indy dealer that sells all the brands the brand he sells the most Dunlop. Is that the best tire for every bike and situation? Probably not and its good tires do wear try all the brands and make your own decision. YMMV

Old 10-27-2011 | 06:13 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
If a tire is old enough to look dry rotted or weather checked it's gotten hard no **** you don't trust it when wet think about it man , that will happen with any brand in that condition .
its hardened ?? no ****??, I didn't know that....screw that, its coming off

Old 10-27-2011 | 06:22 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

I have Avon venoms on my v-star and they stick like glue to the road. I put 10000kms on them before replacement. I have dunlops on my Harley. They get a bad rap but honestly I have gotten amazing mileage out of them and been caught in many a downpour and not once did I feel unsafe. And even at 60 mph in a torrential rain they were planted. I will try metz simply because of the rave reviews I read in the forums. He is my take though. Metz and Avon = great traction and reasonable mileage. Dunlop= incredible mileage however traction may be questionable. Jmo

Old 10-27-2011 | 06:55 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Yes, I've done the thread searches, and now I'm more confused than ever. I was going to try the Metz 880's but there has been some fierce negative reaction lately. I never heard a solitary thing bad about the Avons, but so few people seem to run them in the US.

Is it because they're British and less popular in the States?

Do they wear out quickly?

Which models ones are the "good ones" for Softails? For touring? I've looked at the website, but I know so little about them. Thanks all.
Bottom line is, all 3 are top quality and good namebrand tires, after that it is all opinion and will confuse anyone.

Old 10-27-2011 | 07:19 PM
TORQUEY
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
Bottom line is, all 3 are top quality and good namebrand tires, after that it is all opinion and will confuse anyone.

You've got that right!

I wish I could tell what the actual width of Metzler tires are. I will meed a 200 rear tire or perhaps a 210 if it will fit. I remember years ago on my dirt bike, my 5.0 Dunlop knobby was not as wide as my Metzler 4.5!

Quick Reply: Avons vs Dunlop vs Metzler