Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avons vs Dunlop vs Metzler

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
Damn these threads confuse the hell out of my decision. Now I'm back to Metz. But what's known to me and I have not had any problems with is the stock rear Dunlop and my 21" front Dunlop e3. Now I'm nervous to drop that coin on either and have it suck. But I guess I'll never know till I try it.
Yeah, I'm the OP who said that previous threads confused me...now, just as confused as ever! I'm also interested in width. I cannot get ANY info on physical size on the Metzler site. From what I hear, he Metz seem to run wider than Dunlops at the same posted size. Anyone know for sure???

Old 10-23-2011, 01:25 PM
henrybennett
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Avons for me. Felt more secure straight away after the Dunlops

Old 10-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought avons due to a lot of reviews I've read. I put them on probably mid summer. Did ALOT of rain riding in them, easily 2-3x the tire the stock dunlops are. The grip in rain is absolutely excellent. The dry grip is excellent. They don't latch on to tar snakes. I noticed improved grip, and braking when just switching to an avon rear. I'll buy another one for the front when the time comes.

I was looking at Metz's but read quite a few reviews where people said the tires had early cupping and even some that said the tires were out of round when they were getting them mounted.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never run Metzlers but I've seen a lot of complaints about the ones made in Brazil.

My old bike came with Bridgestones which didn't last long and didn't handle well.

Put on Avon Cobras and they lasted better and handled MUCH better. I'm pretty well sold on them.

My current stock Dunlops handle well, but I don't know how long they'll last.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try the Avon Venoms. After you do, there is a good chance you won't ride on any other brand.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:09 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

It really boils down to how you use tires, and what you feel you need from the current tires that they are not giving you

Avons, Metzlers, Continental, Dunlop (both OEM, and Elite-3), Pirelli, etc.... all "good" tires.... but folks will all have different opinions

Heck... I know folks that buy tires based on the size of the white wall.....(go figure)

In the MOST general of terms... tread construction plays a big part in the tire. Many tires have "concentric" treads... these tend to "follow" tar snakes, paving seams, and the such. Tires with a crossing pattern ( M-880, Venom, Elite-3, Milestones) tend to no follow those.

Me?? I'm in the Dunlop Elite-3 camp.... but.... if the new American Elite came in my size.... I'd give them a shot

Old 10-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Try the Avon Venoms. After you do, there is a good chance you won't ride on any other brand.
I've tried them all and was astonished by the performance of the Avon Venoms...12-15k miles on my Ultra. It's the only tire I will use.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Well with the odd size on the front, I run a Avon RR and a E3 Dunlop on the rear.
I get 14k off both the front and the rear, my second set will be after the first of the year. Oh and I ride it too, just love them twisties too!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:42 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,106 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Which model Avons do you like?
Cobra

Old 10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

FWIW, I have Metz 880 on front and rear,rear "sings" a little, but really handle well in rain and high heat. Certainly will go back to them next time around.

Quick Reply: Avons vs Dunlop vs Metzler