General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone done cross canada and back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 PM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone done cross canada and back?

I'm planning a cross canada trip (east to west and back) next summer. I have my girls permission, the time off (17 days), and will be able to save enough to make it comfortable. I plan on around 800 kms(500 mi) a day.

I have a new superglide (stock) and have done several 800 km days with no problems. I will join CAA and get a cell phone.

Has anyone else done this as I'm looking for cool places to visit. I'm starting in Halifax and I plan to head north from Montreal (117) to val d or then onto 11 to thunder bay. Winnipeg, Calgary and Kamloops where I'll head north to Edmonton, saskatoon then back home thru Sudbury, Ottawa and Quebec.

Any neat places/things to see suggested?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Check the advrider.com forum. At least a couple of riders did it and reported it with pics. I just did western Alberta, northern BC and Yukon to Alaska but that seems west of where you plan on riding. I did really like Canada and the Canadians that I met along the way. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Haven't done it but it sure would be great. I live in the middle ( sort of ) of canada so I'd have to go west then al the way back east then home.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been from Yukon to Toronto & back. Things you might want to see starting in Yukon.
Kluane National Park
Do #37 from just West of Watson Lake to Meziaden BC, then down to Prince George, then East to Jasper & Banff either going up or down.
Alternative route is Banff to Grand Praire, then Alaska Hwy to Whitehorse, then 100 miles West to Kluane. There at Haines Junction you can go to Haines Alaska, take the ferry to Skagway, then to Watson Lake and catch the #37 South.
When going from Banff Eastbound, once past Calgary it's prairie travel with a constant wind from the South & you will wear off the other side of your tire to match the one that you wore off on the way West. Also once in the Yukon, go to Dawson /city and take the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik on the Arctic Ocean. From Calgary East, not a lot to see except praire, but take the route North of the \great Lakes, or drop down from Winnipeg into the US and take the #2 East and cross the narrows into the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, then down just south of Detroit and East back into Ontario.
A few places to see are Kakabeca Falls, Niagara Falls.
Have a good trip.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I entered from International Falls in Minnesota and rode to Ragina on Highway One. Lower speed limits and going through towns made what should have been a one day trip into two.

From Winnipeg to Ragina is very sparsely populated and few services. Worth doing though to see the expanse of the plains there and the huge crop fields.

Going through the Lake of the Woods area was very scenic.

That ride was this year. Two seasons ago, I did from I-35 in the US to Calgary, Edmonton and to Dawson Creek. Took the Alaskan Highway from there to Fairbanks. Very good roads and services. We were on a schedule so we did not look up area activities.

The one notable experience was that the Canadian drivers were far more courteous than on the US side. On the Alaskan Highway cars would pull over and let us pass and they were going the speed limit.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-20-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

hey, cool. Me and the wife are doing a cross canada trip next summer as well. What is your planned time frame? Maybe we can do a few miles together. To make it easier on her, I'm going to send her to ottawa by air, and I'll marathon out on the bike and pick her up there and start our sightseeing trip. On the way back she might just fly home from Halifax or NYC depending on where we get to. Then I ride back 16 hrs/day. so If you want some company going across the praries let me know.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Here is the ride:

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...nt.cfm?DocID=6
90 hours for the regular ride, 75 hours for the gold.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:36 AM
harley_nova
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in Nova Scotia are you?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by zeus33
hey, cool. Me and the wife are doing a cross canada trip next summer as well. What is your planned time frame? Maybe we can do a few miles together. To make it easier on her, I'm going to send her to ottawa by air, and I'll marathon out on the bike and pick her up there and start our sightseeing trip. On the way back she might just fly home from Halifax or NYC depending on where we get to. Then I ride back 16 hrs/day. so If you want some company going across the praries let me know.
Neat idea, I'll be leaving Halifax on the 29 jun, to take advatage of the long weekend. Where are you starting? I would look forward to meeting out there, even just to have a coffee.
I did a 14 hr ride around the Cabot trail this summer. It wasn't so bad. I just didn't see much. I find the SuperGlide is great on long hauls, even with the stock seat. The longest day I'm planning is the first day. I want to get to at least Quebec city (around 1000 Km), further if I feel good and have daylight.
Not sure if my girl will fly out and meet me somewhere or not, too far away yet.
Are you guys camping/hoteling? I plan on camping off the road as I go thru northern Quebec and Ont, but am VERY flexible with that part of the plan. A bed is a great thing after sleeping on the ground for a few days.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:13 AM
cldiver
Cruiser

[quote=arcticharleyman;8955964]I've been from Yukon to Toronto & back. Things you might want to see starting in Yukon.
Kluane National Park

The yukon will be my next long trip. I promised my Dad I would take his ashes up there. I've started looking at stuff about the Alaskan highway...it looks like an OK road, But, man, it a long haul. The scenery must be stunning.

When going from Banff Eastbound, once past Calgary it's prairie travel with a constant wind from the South & you will wear off the other side of your tire to match the one that you wore off on the way West.

I was wondering about the wind on the Praries. I thought it would be from the west. I can imagine it must be a long haul thru there. I done it in a car and a train and couldn't believe how damn flat it was. At night, you see headlights for a looong time before the car goes by.

Speaking of tires, did you have to get new ones anytime thruout the trip?

but take the route North of the \great Lakes, or drop down from Winnipeg into the US and take the #2 East and cross the narrows into the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, then down just south of Detroit and East back into Ontario.

I may alter my route on the way home to do just what you've suggested. A buddy rode from Halifax to Tennesse last year and toured thru the Appalachians coming home. He really talked up the whole area. He said it was one of the best places he's rode

Quick Reply: anyone done cross canada and back?