General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone done cross canada and back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 AM
vincentostapowich
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know he was at my place overnight west of Winnipeg ,but I haven't heard from him since he got home.
Probably busy at work.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys, My girlfriend has developed kidney stones (I thought that was only for us ...who knew), so Ive been going thru the revolving doors of the medical system. I"ll sit down tonight and get the pics up.

Vincent I'm truly sorry I haven't emailed you. I'll get back to you tonight or tomorrow night.

Zeus..I'll write a trip report as well.

Are one of you guys good at loading pics as I've had trouble before? I have 200 but probably only need to load 20 or so.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

For pictures, it's best to load them to a third party site. I use photobucket.com. It's free. Load your pics there, then once loaded you can click on the image url button, and paste it to your message here on HDforums. The picture will show up full size.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

I had trouble uploading so I checked around and others said the same so I'll try that tomorrow.

The trip report....

day 1 Halifax to trois riviere (1130 kms), cold dampish start cleared up by NB. The ride thru NB was nice, I'll really enjoyed northern NB and the ride to riviere du loup, beautiful scenery, great road, little traffic. Hit a big thunder storm just outside quebec city, saw it coming for 30 mins before it hit, actually timed the donning of rain gear perfectly. I've never been in rain so hard, had to pull over as I couldn't see, so dark my speedo was lit up. Tucked under an overpass to wait it out with 3 other bikes, never spoke to any of them. The raon lasted maybe 15 mins then blew past us and i kept going. Quite tired by trois rivere.

Day 2 Trois Riv to kirkland lake Ont (via val d or)(850 kms). the Mont tremblant area is spectacular, really scenic but a lot of traffic. I really enjoyed the ride to Val d or. I like the wilderness areas, traffic thinned out and there is a gas station about halfway. Nothing special about any of the towns, all mining.

Day 3 Kirkland lake to Geraldton Ont(600 kms) very relaxing ride, very hot once sun was fully up. One of the nicest parts of the trip, surprising flat and straight roads. Stopped at a rest area, met a fellow coming from BC going somewhere east and another guy coming from Labrador going to Dryden Ont. The fellow from lab had been following me for a while, I was riding with no hands and steering by extending my hands out the side. He dropped way back at the first couple of tries at no hands then zipped by me. He had just got a new motor and couldn't keep it at a steady speed for long (I think I made him nervous(smile)) Camped at a campground close to Geraldton, nice place and a nice night..right beside a beautiful lake.

Day 4 Geraldton to Kenora (720 km) Very hot right from wake up, the first part of the ride was great. As I got closer to Lake Nipigon the terrain changed dramatically, from basically flat to the huge cliffs of the Pallisades. Stunning scenery, one of my "must go back to" places. The ride from Nipigon to Thunderbay was scenic as I could see the sleeping giant and some of Lake Superior, the temp dropped about 15 degrees as I got close to the lake. The speed limit is 90, I was steady at around 103. I caught up to a car that was going from 80 to 110, drove me crazy so I passed him in a passing zone but stayed around 105. I noted, as I was passing, that a black SUV was right on my tail so I pulled over to let him go. As it slowly went by I saw the letters OPP on the fender. I figured I was alright as he didn't seem interested in me too much but he was definitely going faster than me. He did eyeball as he went by. I was a little worried about gas from Thunderbay so stopped to get gas just as I started on the 17. They only had reg so I asked where the next premium would be. He told me dryden, 400 and some Km away. I wasn't sure what to do so I topped with reg and carried on. The first gas station had no premium (about 75 km ??) but the next did, it was only around 120. The guy with the reg lied to me. After that I never worried about gas again. The geology around Kenora is amazing, never seen rocks like that before. Kenora was really hot, very close to 40 c. I camped in a nice campground just before kenora. Not a big fan of Kenora, reminded me of a town in a Stephen King novel. Nobody really talks to you, seems like a well to do town but has some terrible secret that will kill you if you stayed (smile)

Day 5 Kenora to Moosejaw (890 km) Day started with a 40 kph head wind that got worse as I got into Manitoba. I really liked that part of the ride despite the wind. It was neat to watch the terrain go from hilly to flat. As I approached winnipeg I could see the dark clouds ahead, it got much darker as I got closer. As I was on the road around Winnipeg I hit the most spectacular lightening storm I can remember. The bolts seemed to last for 5 sec and it was touching down all around me. It rained but after quebec it seemed light. The final bit of that storm was a tail wind I was doing 80 and could feel the wind pushing against my back. Fantastic storm. Rode thru it in about 15 mins. After Winnipeg the terrain stayed flat but not as flat as I had thought, lots of turns and small rising that gave great views of the country. Aside from the headwind I loved the ride. I could smell the flowers as I went by the huge fields. Not much variety as I rode to Moosejaw but I really liked. I had the throttle locked most of the day, leaned back against the back rest and watched the scenery go by....really great day. Moosejaw is a very neat town, I would like to go back and spend some time there.

I'll do the rest tomorrow and see about the pics.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 PM
vincentostapowich
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone put out an apb on this guy!
He drank half a bottle of my rum!

Attached Thumbnails anyone done cross canada and back?-wade.jpg  
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM
cldiver
Cruiser

I don't remember much after 1/3, but I'm pretty sure you were looking a little wobbly when I crashed. Good rum too. If you come this way I'll get an extra special bottle and have no plans for the next day
Great little trailer, by the way.
We'll definitely have to do it again and go for a longer ride. I think I may go to Gimli next year. I'll give you a heads up well before, maybe we could plan a trip somewhere new to us both.

I really enjoyed that night, very relaxing....next day was OK but I wasn't real picky looking for a hotel in Thunderbay...got a roof and walls..it'll do(smile)