General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone done cross canada and back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I would recommend from Vernon take the 97 north till you hit the TransCanada at Sicamous, then go east through Revelstoke, the Rogers Pass, Golden then when you hit Alberta you'll be in Lake Louise. You can go see Moraine Lake, it's right there. Then take the 93, also known as the Icefields Parkway north from Lake Louise to Jasper. It's a much more scenic route than the #5 north of Kamloops to Jasper.

Just an update, in case you take my (and Silverfox's) advise. Sicamous is flooded out, the road is gone. No problem though, just take the 97b from Armstrong to Salmon Arm. Then you can take the Trans Canada back to Revelstoke and beyond.

By the way, if you have time you can ride to the top of Mt.Revelstoke. You'll get a great view of the mountains it's one of the highest peaks in that area.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 PM
el chivito76
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Haven't done it but it sure would be great. I live in the middle ( sort of ) of canada so I'd have to go west then al the way back east then home.
i always belived sask was the middle of canada. but i have been wrong before

Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 PM
vincentostapowich
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cldiver
I'm planning a cross canada trip (east to west and back) next summer. I have my girls permission, the time off (17 days), and will be able to save enough to make it comfortable. I plan on around 800 kms(500 mi) a day.

I have a new superglide (stock) and have done several 800 km days with no problems. I will join CAA and get a cell phone.

Has anyone else done this as I'm looking for cool places to visit. I'm starting in Halifax and I plan to head north from Montreal (117) to val d or then onto 11 to thunder bay. Winnipeg, Calgary and Kamloops where I'll head north to Edmonton, saskatoon then back home thru Sudbury, Ottawa and Quebec.

Any neat places/things to see suggested?
If you figure out when your going to be just west of winnipeg drop me a line.
If you are into camping I have a huge yard,shop if you need repairs ,fresh coffee in the morning ,hot shower,and drinks and some dinner the night before.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by el chivito76
i always belived sask was the middle of canada. but i have been wrong before
Well I'm not sure if it's the middle either but I sure know it's along way to travel from here to east or west and to its opposite coast and back home again and I don't think my 2 weeks holidays would do it.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Driving across Canada twice, east to west, west to east in 14 days sounds like a lot of four lane droning and not much fun with no time to spend exploring the places you pass through.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun, and look out for Euros in huge rented motorhomes that don't have a clue how the rules of the road work - there are f**** tons of em around here this time of year (North Thompson / Wells Grey Park through to Jasper etc..)

Last edited by Midgard; 06-27-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Just an update, in case you take my (and Silverfox's) advise. Sicamous is flooded out, the road is gone. No problem though, just take the 97b from Armstrong to Salmon Arm. Then you can take the Trans Canada back to Revelstoke and beyond.

By the way, if you have time you can ride to the top of Mt.Revelstoke. You'll get a great view of the mountains it's one of the highest peaks in that area.
One of my drivers told me that there are significant delays around 3 Valley Gap as well due to mudslides. Sliding around on that greasy clay isn't a pleasant experience and will be an item to be aware of as residue will linger for several rains after the fact...

Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I might try it next year although a friend wants us to load up 4 HD's in a trailer and then go. Not to crazy about trailering but then again I'm not to fond of riding across the boring prairies.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 PM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman336
One of my drivers told me that there are significant delays around 3 Valley Gap as well due to mudslides. Sliding around on that greasy clay isn't a pleasant experience and will be an item to be aware of as residue will linger for several rains after the fact...
I figure I"ll get some info when I get close to that area and should be able to adjust to it. It must have rained a ton or melted a bunch of snow to create these problems. I will definitely be asking everyone I meet about what's happening on my route in the mountains. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: anyone done cross canada and back?