General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone done cross canada and back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey cldiver,

Have a great trip. My plans fell through for the x-canada excursion. Turns out my sisters daughter want's me and my family to come out to Boston in October. So that's going to eat my vacation time and bank account. We will do x-canada next summer, almost for sure.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:30 PM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hadn't forgotten the royal tyrell. I was thinking that I will make the call the day before on the way out. If I have a little time in hand I will probably take the time to go.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by zeus33
Hey cldiver,

Have a great trip. My plans fell through for the x-canada excursion. Turns out my sisters daughter want's me and my family to come out to Boston in October. So that's going to eat my vacation time and bank account. We will do x-canada next summer, almost for sure.
Thanks. I hope the weather is good when you're able to go.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by cldiver
The plan as of today (subject to change on a whim)

30 Jun - hfx to trois riviere
1 jul - to Val d or area (maybe further if I feel good)
2 jul - to Geraldton Ont
3 jul - to Kenora Ont
4 Jul - to Moosejaw SK
5 jul - to Fernie BC
6 Jul - to Vernon area
7 jul - to edson AB(may alter trip to end in Jasper)
8 jul - to Saskatoon area (kinda flexible here relatives in area)
9 Jul - to Portage la Prarie MB
10 jul - to Thunder bay area
11 jul - to Timmins Ont
12 jul - to kingston Ont
13 jul - to Rivere du loup Qc
14 jul - to home or Saint john NB.

I look fwd to meeting people out there but pls remember that I have to do somewhere around 750 kms a day so stopping for more than hour in the middle of the day may be a problem.

Looks like you are going to skirt right around Calgary. I'm wondering how you're getting from Fernie to Vernon? North on 95 then over the Rogers pass on the number 1? That's the way I'd recommend. I hope you're not planning the #3 to Osoyoos then north on 95. I don't know if you can even do that in a day, it's a very windy road and loads of little towns to slow you down. It would be more scenic but maybe over 2 days.

Then you're going all the way to Edson? Probably going through Kamloops? If so you'll miss the Icefields parkway, you could have stopped at Moraine lake, one of the most beautiful places in the world.

hmmm, thinking about it, I bet you are doing Fernie-Osoyoos-Vernon-Lake Louise-Jasper. But in 2 days??? That's a hell of a lot of riding for 2 days.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

hmmm, thinking about it, I bet you are doing Fernie-Osoyoos-Vernon-Lake Louise-Jasper. But in 2 days??? That's a hell of a lot of riding for 2 days.[/quote]

Yeah that's the way except I don't know where lake louise is. I'll be on the 3 from Fernie to Osoyoos, 97 to Kamloops, and 5 to Alberta. I'll go as far as I can each day. I hope to do at least 700 a day but hopefully I can make up some time on the praries going out and back if I have to. I'm really hoping that the weather is with me. Bad weather could completely wreck everything.
I'm not really worried too much about time as I can call work and take another week if I need it (want it). My boss rides and says if I survive it he'll do it next year. I figure I'm his test dummy.
I'll be going from Moose jaw to Fernie via medicine hat and lethbridge. Do you know that section at all?

Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

I'll marathon out on the bike and pick her up there and start our sightseeing trip. On the way back she might just fly home from Halifax or NYC depending on where we get to. Then I ride back 16 hrs/day. so If you want some company going across the praries let me know.
Looks like I'm not the only ambitious one(smile)

Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Yeah that's the way except I don't know where lake louise is. I'll be on the 3 from Fernie to Osoyoos, 97 to Kamloops, and 5 to Alberta.
Why are you going to Kamloops and north on #5? I mean is there a reason for that? I would recommend from Vernon take the 97 north till you hit the TransCanada at Sicamous, then go east through Revelstoke, the Rogers Pass, Golden then when you hit Alberta you'll be in Lake Louise. You can go see Moraine Lake, it's right there. Then take the 93, also known as the Icefields Parkway north from Lake Louise to Jasper. It's a much more scenic route than the #5 north of Kamloops to Jasper.

I'll be going from Moose jaw to Fernie via medicine hat and lethbridge. Do you know that section at all?
Yes I know that road too. Prarie roads. You can set your cruise control, bungie the handle bars straight and have a nap. lol. Nothing too challenging or exciting. Every 20 minutes or so you might meet a curve in the road or go over a 20 foot hill. You can make good time though, you'll easily average 120.

Once you get to BC, or actually just before it, the speed limit will drop to 90 and the road is a lot more twisty with a lot more towns and slow moving traffic on 2 lanes with double solid. So your leg from Fernie to Vernon will be a long day.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

Why are you going to Kamloops and north on #5? I mean is there a reason for that? I would recommend from Vernon take the 97 north till you hit the TransCanada at Sicamous, then go east through Revelstoke, the Rogers Pass, Golden then when you hit Alberta you'll be in Lake Louise. You can go see Moraine Lake, it's right there. Then take the 93, also known as the Icefields Parkway north from Lake Louise to Jasper. It's a much more scenic route than the #5 north of Kamloops to Jasper.

I may do that. I'll see how I feel when I'm there. The only reason for taking the 5 is that it looked like it may be an interesting ride towards Edmonton. I've never been to this area before so I'm thinking I will adjust my ride on the fly to suit the moment.

Yes I know that road too. Prarie roads. You can set your cruise control, bungie the handle bars straight and have a nap. lol. Nothing too challenging or exciting. Every 20 minutes or so you might meet a curve in the road or go over a 20 foot hill. You can make good time though, you'll easily average 120.

How are the cops with that speed? My engine loves that speed ...my gas tank...not so much. I figured my throttle lock will get a workout in the praries.

Once you get to BC, or actually just before it, the speed limit will drop to 90 and the road is a lot more twisty with a lot more towns and slow moving traffic on 2 lanes with double solid. So your leg from Fernie to Vernon will be a long day.
I'm really looking fwd to that part. I really like little towns. They do slow you down tho. Crap, screwed up the quotes

Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I guess that if you see a radar cop on the praries you could get a ticket. But they are more lienient than the ones in BC. I think the speed limit is 110, so you can go 120 and safely not get a ticket. I've gone through radar traps at 130 and didn't get stopped, and I even got pulled over once at 140 and the cop was nice enough to let me go. So it's up to you, what chances you want to take with the radar cops. Usually speed limit + 10 is okay.

I'm really looking fwd to that part. I really like little towns. They do slow you down tho. Crap, screwed up the quotes

When you're taking the #3 make sure you study the map so you don't miss a turn. I've done that. For example remember to turn left in Creston and go over the bridge, if you go straight you'll end up on the east side of kootney lake on the road to nowhere (I've done that).

You'll like the Creston-Salmo pass, thats cool.

You should go through Trail and Rossland rather than Castlegar, it's more scenic and the hills are fun. Same distance.

If you want to take a short cut, and skip half of the Okanagan take hwy 33 into Kelowna from a turn off just past Grand forks (check the map). You won't see Osoyoos, and Penticton if you go that way. It's like a desert down there, lots of fruits are grown there because it's so hot, nice lakes too. Depends on your time, just giving you options. hwy33 is a good road I've taken it a few times.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I have to agree with Zeus33 on the route of Rogers Pass, Golden and Lake Louise.

Quick Reply: anyone done cross canada and back?