General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone done cross canada and back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:52 AM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the look of the restaurant. I'm going to try to eat somewhat normal food out there, but fast food is just so handy sometimes..just in and out quickly (the food and the time (smile))

Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 AM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rocknrod
I was working up there for a few years and heard a comedian talk about the road across southern Canada. He said there is a bill-board somewhere between Saskatchewan and Alberta and "oh you'll be slowing down to read that..." meaning it's pretty bare out there.
I've taken a train across and remember the flatness and general lonely nature of the place. I've looked at portions of my route on google maps and it looks a little monotonous there but I figure by the time I'm there I'll have perfected the art of keeping myself entertained on the road.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

done east to west and back several times but havent on two wheels "YET", but its coming. maybe next summer

Old 06-24-2012, 03:35 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
done east to west and back several times but havent on two wheels "YET", but its coming. maybe next summer
Yeah , I flown several times driven twice and took a train in the 80's but this will be better.

Your picture looks like the "stig' only black.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rode Vancouver to Quebec city and back through the US

on a Honda V-65 magna. Parts of the prairies can be a bit boring but watch out for those little farmer underpasses. As you climb up over the crossing the cross winds can catch you off guard and knock right into the other lanes or worse. You''ll love the trip. I wish I had taken more pictures.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 AM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

That is a lot of riding in a short time, you sure you can't take a couple more weeks? You might wish later that you had!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:24 AM
cldiver
Cruiser

If I run out of time I can take a few more days off. I've done a lot of 700 km days and 12 hr rides but only a few back to back.
My plan is to cover a lot of distance in the first day so I have a little time in hand for construction or other delays then settle into a routine. My biggest worry is the weather, 4 days of rain could be a draining experience.

I've been saving for almost a year so I have the flexibility to get motels if the weather's bad or my body starts to hurt too much.

I will probably miss some cool places, hopefully I'll be able to do it again when I retire and take a longer time.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you need a place to crash while in Saskatoon shoot me a message,and a couple days notice

Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 AM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
If you need a place to crash while in Saskatoon shoot me a message,and a couple days notice
I have an ex brother in law in Saskatoon, he's a great guy..wife not so much so I may take up your offer. I contact you later (at work now) to see how the dates and times work out for you.

Thanks for the offer

Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cldiver
2 Things I had forgotten about!! I have really wanted to see the badlands and the royal tyrell dino museum. Thanks for reminding me, they're on the list. Well worth a few hours.

I may have to get a new camera...christmas is coming and now they have a theme...Dad's trip(smile)
If you're staying on the Trans Canada (Hwy 1), you can turn on Hwy 56 to go up to Drumheller (approx 70 km). If you're going on the Yellowhead, cut across from Saskatoon on Hwy 7 and then go south on 56.

There is also Outlaws Saloon in Wayne (http://youtu.be/z8kVm8t8tNo) which features a restored frontier saloon and a nice little side trip full of twisties. You would have to check, but I think there is a prize if you can locate all the bullet holes in the wall.

Quick Reply: anyone done cross canada and back?