General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone done cross canada and back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 PM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
If you're leaving on the 29th of june for a 17 day trip, you'll most likely be passing through alberta on your way home around the second week of July, correct?

So lets see, cldiver will be going through Edmonton, I'll be leaving from Calgary, and we'll both be headed toward saskatoon. hmmm, we could be meet for lunch at SR's house!!

Don't know if you're going to like my marathon ride much though cldiver. I'd really like to make ottawa in 3 days, So I have to get at least Winnepeg the first day, maybe a bit further. As far as accomodations go, I'd be happy throwing my tent up for the night. Then once I scoop up my wife we'll probably be staying in motels.

Oh, and when you come through Calgary we can maybe hook up for a drink or somthing. Sounds like you'll be here when stampede week is on. The city turns into a huge festival with beer gardens and parties everywhere. It's always a good time.
The plan so far is, Leave kamloops on the 6 july to Evansburgh AB, 7 july, evansburgh to Saskatoon.

If everything goes right, I should hit Saskatoon around supper time. Google maps says that leg is 808 km, I suspect at least 110 kmh with probably a total of a one hour, maybe 1.5 hrs, stop thru out the day, roughly 9.5 hr ride (I didn't do the math). I have no idea what time I'd leave Evansburgh, probably around 8;00. I'll buy the beer, that should provide so incentive(smile).

Using my route as a rough guide that is around 4000 kms, which means you'll be doing around 1300 a day !! Long Days. I'll be interested to hear how it worked. How many hours a day are you planning on riding, 14 or so ? I did a little over a 14 hr day this summer, it wasn't so bad..but 3 in a row. Hopefully your wife lets you rest for a day or 2 before the next part of the trip. Just checked google maps Cal to Winn is around 1300, at 110 that's about 13 hrs straight riding. Are you going to cut thru the states?

I plan to go from Regina to Drumheller then to kamloops. It was the beer that got my attention. After I stop, in Calgary, I may have to alter my plan(smile). Is the traffic bad on the trans can, thru Calgary, during the stampede?

Last edited by cldiver; 10-24-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cldiver
The plan so far is, Leave kamloops on the 6 july to Evansburgh AB, 7 july, evansburgh to Saskatoon.

If everything goes right, I should hit Saskatoon around supper time. Google maps says that leg is 808 km, I suspect at least 110 kmh with probably a total of a one hour, maybe 1.5 hrs, stop thru out the day, roughly 9.5 hr ride (I didn't do the math). I have no idea what time I'd leave Evansburgh, probably around 8;00. I'll buy the beer, that should provide so incentive(smile).

Using my route as a rough guide that is around 4000 kms, which means you'll be doing around 1300 a day !! Long Days. I'll be interested to hear how it worked. How many hours a day are you planning on riding, 14 or so ? I did a little over a 14 hr day this summer, it wasn't so bad..but 3 in a row. Hopefully your wife lets you rest for a day or 2 before the next part of the trip. Just checked google maps Cal to Winn is around 1300, at 110 that's about 13 hrs straight riding. Are you going to cut thru the states?

I plan to go from Regina to Drumheller then to kamloops. It was the beer that got my attention. After I stop, in Calgary, I may have to alter my plan(smile). Is the traffic bad on the trans can, thru Calgary, during the stampede?
You really had me going there for a minute, even google didn't know what you were talking about. haha. It's Edmonton, not Evensburgh. Well, anyway I don't have solid plans yet, google tells me Calgary to Ottawa is 3500 km or 3300 km if I shortcut through the states. Winnepeg is 1300 as you say, but you can average way more than 110. The speed limit is 120, so you can ride probably 130 and not get a ticket. I don't know if you've ridden the praires, but they're pretty striaight, flat, and fast. We'll see how it goes, but I think ottawa in 3 days shouldn't be a problem. I don't think I will go through the states. When I crossed the border to go to sturgis last year, I was detained for about 2 hours, they wanted to know what bike club I ride with, which club I'm meeting in sturgis, and what I was in jail for. None of which is true. In the end I got across, but I have to say I was pretty worried. I was afraid they were going to pull out the rubber gloves, lucky it never happened. So for the 200 km, I don't think it's worth the hassel. Crossing with my wife is a different story, we don't get the same 3rd degree treatment.

Regarding the Stampede in Calgary. Don't worry about the traffic. But don't expect to find a campground or hotel, everything will be booked up. But sounds like you'll be cruising though anyway, so you don't have to worrry about it. But give us a shout, we'll hook up for a stampede coctail, maybe Shredding Rubber might be around as well.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Did it yrs ago,, haven't for a while

Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have done most of that ride at one point or another, but never in one stretch. Saskatoon is a beautiful city and a great place, but WAY out in the middle of nowhere. Winnepeg is another great place. You will have to spend some time on the river walk and riverfront area. Calgary is absolutely nuts during the Stampede, take care. West of Calgary take some time in the mountains. Banff, lake louise and the park in general is not a place to rush through. Get out and enjoy your time there. It should not be done in a day.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

Well, 7 days to go and everything is ready. I tested loaded the bike today and everything fits with some room to spare. The waiting is killing me and the weather is not looking good for the first couple days but I really don't care

I look forward to meeting some of you out there. The route I outlined in the opener is still the plan but it's very flexible. Keep an eye out for a black and blue 2011 superglide with Nova Scotia plates. There won't be very many out there.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 PM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I wish maybe one day!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 AM
cldiver
Cruiser

The plan as of today (subject to change on a whim)

30 Jun - hfx to trois riviere
1 jul - to Val d or area (maybe further if I feel good)
2 jul - to Geraldton Ont
3 jul - to Kenora Ont
4 Jul - to Moosejaw SK
5 jul - to Fernie BC
6 Jul - to Vernon area
7 jul - to edson AB(may alter trip to end in Jasper)
8 jul - to Saskatoon area (kinda flexible here relatives in area)
9 Jul - to Portage la Prarie MB
10 jul - to Thunder bay area
11 jul - to Timmins Ont
12 jul - to kingston Ont
13 jul - to Rivere du loup Qc
14 jul - to home or Saint john NB.

I look fwd to meeting people out there but pls remember that I have to do somewhere around 750 kms a day so stopping for more than hour in the middle of the day may be a problem.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

After your leave Vernon I hope you are riding through the mountains from Banff to Jasper. It's a must see if you'r out here.

Last edited by Silver Fox; 06-24-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was working up there for a few years and heard a comedian talk about the road across southern Canada. He said there is a bill-board somewhere between Saskatchewan and Alberta and "oh you'll be slowing down to read that..." meaning it's pretty bare out there.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: anyone done cross canada and back?