General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone done cross canada and back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:57 PM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 108 Posts

The ride between Winnipeg and Calgary is about 12hrs saddle
time. Done it may times. Aint so bad. Watch yer speed between Winnipeg and Regina (6hrs)..Mounties are hardcore around outskirts of the city. I'll watch your posts for your schedule.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 PM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we did the trip out west a few years ago, we did the badlands, just before calgary. Think this is a cool area to see. Also we checked out the dinasor exibit too. these were things we hadn't really seen anywhere else before.

Where ever you go be safe and take lots of pics

Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NewfieHarley
sent the OP a PM, planning on riding from the prairies to the west coast, then all the way to the east coast (and a little further) next summer myself... My only advice, soon as you hit sault ste marie, or thunder bay, head south through the states. Roads are in better condition, scenery is a little better, things are cheaper. Riding through the prairies SUCKS!!! Trust me, been living here for 8 years, taking the next train outta here!!!!
Dont let the prairie doors hit ya in the *** when you leave.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:41 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hawwk
When we did the trip out west a few years ago, we did the badlands, just before calgary. Think this is a cool area to see. Also we checked out the dinasor exibit too. these were things we hadn't really seen anywhere else before.

Where ever you go be safe and take lots of pics
2 Things I had forgotten about!! I have really wanted to see the badlands and the royal tyrell dino museum. Thanks for reminding me, they're on the list. Well worth a few hours.

I may have to get a new camera...christmas is coming and now they have a theme...Dad's trip(smile)

Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cldiver
I wouldn't want company the whole time across the praries but I'd welcome some company for part of it. I'll make some posts just before I leave and you give me your number. I'll call when I get close to Saskatoon. For me, that will be heading east. I'll be heading past regina on the way to Kamloops.
Well this forum has already gotten me out to meet a couple of great members so another sounds great. And I would be up anytime for a day ride so when your passing thru you can stop in,we will feed ya,then I can keep you company for a few hours on your journey. If you are running into Zeus I would be happy to run that way and have a beer with him too. People can say what they want about the prairies however they are beautiful in their own way and just a part of what makes this nation of ours great. You sir will be riding out a dream. Coast to coast,not riding the same road twice. Seeing all of what this country has to offer,and a great network of friends this forum helped make.
My girl and I will be going west next summer to coincide with the sturgis north event. We have no real destination,it's all about the journey.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like an awesome ride for you canucks, hope some of you guys hook up and post some pics, ride safe.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=cldiver;8956681]
Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
I've been from Yukon to Toronto & back. Things you might want to see starting in Yukon.
Kluane National Park

The yukon will be my next long trip. I promised my Dad I would take his ashes up there. I've started looking at stuff about the Alaskan highway...it looks like an OK road, But, man, it a long haul. The scenery must be stunning.

When going from Banff Eastbound, once past Calgary it's prairie travel with a constant wind from the South & you will wear off the other side of your tire to match the one that you wore off on the way West.

I was wondering about the wind on the Praries. I thought it would be from the west. I can imagine it must be a long haul thru there. I done it in a car and a train and couldn't believe how damn flat it was. At night, you see headlights for a looong time before the car goes by.

Speaking of tires, did you have to get new ones anytime thruout the trip?

but take the route North of the \great Lakes, or drop down from Winnipeg into the US and take the #2 East and cross the narrows into the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, then down just south of Detroit and East back into Ontario.

I may alter my route on the way home to do just what you've suggested. A buddy rode from Halifax to Tennesse last year and toured thru the Appalachians coming home. He really talked up the whole area. He said it was one of the best places he's rode
The actual name of the highway is the Alcan...Alaskan-Canadian...but everyone here calls it the Alaska Highway, it is a long haul Dawson Creek BC Mile 0 to Delta Junction Alaska Mile 1500+..and the scenery is many cameras full.
The prairies are looooooooong and the wind comes from the South. I did the whole trip on one set of tires...but they were due for a change-out by the time I got home.
Have a great trip and take your time to take millions of photos of scenery and wildlife. Stop at Liard Hotsprings between Ft. Nelson BC and Watson Lake Yukon. Natural hot water springs. Don't plan on driving afterwards as you will be too bagged to. Go to your campsite, lite a fire and have a few drinks, then crawl into the sack and have the best sleep you ever had.
Have great trip.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Well this forum has already gotten me out to meet a couple of great members so another sounds great. And I would be up anytime for a day ride so when your passing thru you can stop in,we will feed ya,then I can keep you company for a few hours on your journey. If you are running into Zeus I would be happy to run that way and have a beer with him too. People can say what they want about the prairies however they are beautiful in their own way and just a part of what makes this nation of ours great. You sir will be riding out a dream. Coast to coast,not riding the same road twice. Seeing all of what this country has to offer,and a great network of friends this forum helped make.
My girl and I will be going west next summer to coincide with the sturgis north event. We have no real destination,it's all about the journey.
I'll post when I'm leaving and my plan, prior to leaving. It shouldn't be too hard to hook up and I look fwd to meeting people out there. I'll be quite pleased if you and your girl would be a part of the experience. I'll buy a cell and may be able to use a computer somewhere to update where I am.
I've crossed the praries several times and my ex was from a small town just north of Saskatoon (sorry, don't remember the name). When we crossed from west to east in 83 I found the praries so different from anything I'd seen that that alone made them interesting. The only places I'll travel thru quickly is NS, NB, as I've lived in this area for most of my life and traveled most of it. I'm really looking fwd to the part from Montreal to Thunder Bay..totally new area, never even flown over it.
Thanks for the offer to feed me, that will be a welcome thing out there...I'll buy the beer.

Your last sentence is absolutely right. I think I'll be a little sad to hit Que City on the way home.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 PM
NewfieHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always sad to come to the end of a trip

Old 10-24-2011, 01:51 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cldiver
Neat idea, I'll be leaving Halifax on the 29 jun, to take advatage of the long weekend. Where are you starting? I would look forward to meeting out there, even just to have a coffee.
I did a 14 hr ride around the Cabot trail this summer. It wasn't so bad. I just didn't see much. I find the SuperGlide is great on long hauls, even with the stock seat. The longest day I'm planning is the first day. I want to get to at least Quebec city (around 1000 Km), further if I feel good and have daylight.
Not sure if my girl will fly out and meet me somewhere or not, too far away yet.
Are you guys camping/hoteling? I plan on camping off the road as I go thru northern Quebec and Ont, but am VERY flexible with that part of the plan. A bed is a great thing after sleeping on the ground for a few days.

We haven't figured out when we'll be leaving. It will depend on a couple of things so we won't know for a few more months. If you're leaving on the 29th of june for a 17 day trip, you'll most likely be passing through alberta on your way home around the second week of July, correct? That works for us, because we were thinking mid july for our departure.

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber

So lets see, cldiver will be going through Edmonton, I'll be leaving from Calgary, and we'll both be headed toward saskatoon. hmmm, we could be meet for lunch at SR's house!!

Don't know if you're going to like my marathon ride much though cldiver. I'd really like to make ottawa in 3 days, So I have to get at least Winnepeg the first day, maybe a bit further. As far as accomodations go, I'd be happy throwing my tent up for the night. Then once I scoop up my wife we'll probably be staying in motels.

Oh, and when you come through Calgary we can maybe hook up for a drink or somthing. Sounds like you'll be here when stampede week is on. The city turns into a huge festival with beer gardens and parties everywhere. It's always a good time.

Last edited by zeus33; 10-24-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone done cross canada and back?