General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone done cross canada and back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 AM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harley_nova
Where in Nova Scotia are you?

I live in Dartmouth. Where are you at? This weather is playing with my head. I was going to put the bike away this weekend but it looks like it will be nice, so I'm waffling.

Last edited by cldiver; 10-21-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 PM
harley_nova
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cldiver
I live in Dartmouth. Where are you at? This weather is playing with my head. I was going to put the bike away this weekend but it looks like it will be nice, so I'm waffling.
I hear ya! This weekend should be OK for riding. I say when the salt hits the road, the bikes goes up.

I live in Upper Stewiacke (Highway 289), work in Truro.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 PM
NewfieHarley
Cruiser

sent the OP a PM, planning on riding from the prairies to the west coast, then all the way to the east coast (and a little further) next summer myself... My only advice, soon as you hit sault ste marie, or thunder bay, head south through the states. Roads are in better condition, scenery is a little better, things are cheaper. Riding through the prairies SUCKS!!! Trust me, been living here for 8 years, taking the next train outta here!!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm planning a cross canada trip (east to west and back) next summer. I have my girls permission, the time off (17 days), and will be able to save enough to make it comfortable. I plan on around 800 kms(500 mi) a day.

I have a new superglide (stock) and have done several 800 km days with no problems. I will join CAA and get a cell phone.

Has anyone else done this as I'm looking for cool places to visit. I'm starting in Halifax and I plan to head north from Montreal (117) to val d or then onto 11 to thunder bay. Winnipeg, Calgary and Kamloops where I'll head north to Edmonton, saskatoon then back home thru Sudbury, Ottawa and Quebec.

Any neat places/things to see suggested?
Old Quebec City (oldest city in North America and largest walled/fortified city) is definitely worth a long stop. Great place to eat too with dozens of the old stone building converted to gourmet restaurants competing for customers in a small area. Lots of historical sites to see and stuff to see and do. Unless you take secondary roads there is going to be a lot of droning along on divided Hwy.

Last edited by fat_tony; 10-21-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harley_nova
I hear ya! This weekend should be OK for riding. I say when the salt hits the road, the bikes goes up.

I live in Upper Stewiacke (Highway 289), work in Truro.
I live close to Mic Mac mall. You're right about the weekend but I think I'll put the bike up this weekend. Garenteed to be nice till Christmas as soon as I pull the battery(smile)

I did the Musq hbr - olds Guysbourgh Rd - waverly Rd loop this afternoon. It was a beautiful ride, windy but nice.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:46 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I live close to Mic Mac mall. You're right about the weekend but I think I'll put the bike up this weekend. Garenteed to be nice till Christmas as soon as I pull the battery(smile)

I did the Musq hbr - olds Guysbourgh Rd - waverly Rd loop this afternoon. It was a beautiful ride, windy but nice.
No need to put the bike away till daytime temps get down to freezing 0C/32F.

Not sure what you are wearing on your bike but I don't even put the insulated liner in my jacket till it hits 10C/50F. With a FF helmet and an all season adv. tour style jacket and pants (or one piece suit like a RoadCrafter, Phantom or Diego) and insulated gloves you can be comfy on your bike down to about 5C, with a heated liner and heated gloves (and insulated motorcycle over pants) you can ride from mid March to early December in the Canadian/northern US climate (pretty much as long as there is no snow/ice on the road) and be very comfy even on the highway for extended periods down to about 0C/32F. The nice thing is all season adv. tour style gear like this is vented and the liners are removable so it is comfy up to about 30C/85F. I'm a big convert after getting my Olympia gear and heated liner about 2 years ago, it's ideally suited to the Canadian climate, I'd never go back to riding in leather.

Last edited by fat_tony; 10-22-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:15 PM
scasey
Road Master

One thing about Saskatchewan is" it is so flat u could watch your dog run away for a month"!!!

Old 10-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Once you hit the prairies shoot me a line. I will ride with ya going west and east. I am in Saskatoon.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Once you hit the prairies shoot me a line. I will ride with ya going west and east. I am in Saskatoon.

I wouldn't want company the whole time across the praries but I'd welcome some company for part of it. I'll make some posts just before I leave and you give me your number. I'll call when I get close to Saskatoon. For me, that will be heading east. I'll be heading past regina on the way to Kamloops.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:49 PM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fat_tony
No need to put the bike away till daytime temps get down to freezing 0C/32F.

Not sure what you are wearing on your bike but I don't even put the insulated liner in my jacket till it hits 10C/50F. With a FF helmet and an all season adv. tour style jacket and pants (or one piece suit like a RoadCrafter, Phantom or Diego) and insulated gloves you can be comfy on your bike down to about 5C, with a heated liner and heated gloves (and insulated motorcycle over pants) you can ride from mid March to early December in the Canadian/northern US climate (pretty much as long as there is no snow/ice on the road) and be very comfy even on the highway for extended periods down to about 0C/32F. The nice thing is all season adv. tour style gear like this is vented and the liners are removable so it is comfy up to about 30C/85F. I'm a big convert after getting my Olympia gear and heated liner about 2 years ago, it's ideally suited to the Canadian climate, I'd never go back to riding in leather.
My cut off has always been 5 C. You're definitely right, it can be comfortable. I think I'm just getting old and wimpy. The other problem is I only get about 5-6 hours, on a good day, of actual riding this time of year. Once the sun's down or before it up is a little trickier if you're outside a city. I find now I'm unable to get anywhere interesting, just the roads I ridden over many times. Generally I get bored riding the same routes over and over again. Same problem in the spring but by then I have to get practise some riding so I don't mind shorter rides.

I do a lot of hiking and outdoor stuff in the winter so I have good gear.

I just put the bike away today. Rode for a few hundred kms then into my cabin for the winter...miss it already.

Quick Reply: anyone done cross canada and back?