General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Gear vs Gerbing's vs HD Heated clothing

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
Default First Gear vs Gerbing's vs HD Heated clothing

Which is better, and for what reasons?

I have no experience and am looking for input on what to get as the pumpkin is soon to be frosty. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:28 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

First Gear is the same as Warm & Safe, W&S makes the best contollers, their controllers are made in the USA. Their new remote controller is the cats meow!
HD heated gear is made by Gerbings and usually cost a little more than Gerbings just because of the HD label. Gerbings controllers are made in China.
Both W&S & Gerbings are good, I prefer the W&S myself. Most here will tell you to go with Gerbing.
www.warmnsafe.com

Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Gerbing makes Harley. I just started collecting heated gear.

Harley and Gerbing both have a lifetime warranty on the heating elements. Not sure about others.

I just bought a pair of the paints liners from Harley. Got them for $146. They list for $179. I got a discount for being in the MVP program.

I know they are suppose to be pants liners but I use them as over pants.

I have gloves, vest and socks. In the process of wiring my Heritage for it. I'm putting switchcraft panel mount connectors in the side on the console.

Use them to go to work. Got them on a Heat-Troller dual. ( a must for comfort). I loved them.

You can use Harley, Gerbing, or Heat-Troller controllers. They use the same connections. 2.5mm x 5mm. So you can mix gear.

Last edited by wlbowers; 10-20-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks. Anybody else with 1st hand experience? Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

A few weeks ago I bought the HD/Gerbings Dual Controller and the Jacket Liner (XL) from Surdyke Harley new, including shipping, for less than they're selling for used on eBay (www.surdyke.com) . . . . and I've been looking pretty diligently since last March. I've had occasion to use the Jacket Liner on a 50*F morning about a week ago, and I can definitely say that I am a very happy camper. I would NOT buy without the controller. I had a long sleeve "T" Shirt, the Jacket Liner and my Leather jacket halfway open. I barely had it turned on and it was like riding in 75*F Sunshine.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:55 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

We have Gerbings. My only complaint concerns the jacket liners. The leads that hide in the sleeves for the gloves to plug into are too short. They will not extend out far enough to stick out from under my leather jacket, making it nearly impossible to plug gloves into. The only solution is to buy a lead extension, or use heated grips, which is what I do.

Instead of pants liners, I got the Gerbings Union Ridge Overpant, and use them instead of my leather pants in cool weather, and absolutely love them. They no longer make them, but you can find new stock on ebay occasionally . They have been replaced with the Extreme Element overpants.

Heated gear extends our riding season right up until the snow falls. Best money I ever spent.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-21-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM
jdm1200
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have First Gear/ Warm and Safe. Never had Gerbing so no comment on them. First Gear controllers are USA made and top quality. They also have outstanding customer Service. You can order directly from Warm and Safe as well and cut out First Gear.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
PittsDriver
6th Gear

I bought Gerbing heated pants, jacket, sock liners and gloves a few years ago. I really like the quality. I receintly saw a post stating they are now made in China so I cant speek for the new gear.

The pants and jacket are not liners. They are the outer shell. The pants slide on like a pair of chaps over your Levis and are rainproof. The jacket looks like it belongs on someone riding a BMW but I could care less. I can ride in near freezing conditions with a short sleeve t-shirt underneath and be comfortable. I use the dual controller so I can control the top and bottom halves independantly.

Having heated gear really extends the riding season in my neck of the woods.

Regards, RT

Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Gerbings Vs. Harley

I picked up the Harley dual thermostat 2 weeks ago. It comes with the belt pouch ($10 extra W/Gerbings) and I got my local dealer 10% discount (effectively saving $20). I bought the Gerbings jacket liner. Harleys' liners & Gerbings liners were the same price. I could have gotten my 10% off if I bought the Harley brand - BUT - Gerbings jacket liners were available in all sizes AND regular or long sleeve. Harleys' jacket liners were only available in standard sleeve length.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:34 PM
capttxrngr
Cruiser
Default Tourmaster Gear

I bought Tourmaster gear last year, jacket liner and gloves. I shopped around and found them to be the cheapest. The controllers came with the gear, didn't have to purchase it seperately. Thinking about pant liners but may just break down and buy their jacket and overpants instead. Don't like having to put on so many layers. The jacket liner is great. Wore it this morning in 36 degree weather and had it on the lowest setting. The gloves only heat on the top of the hand but with the EG don't worry too much about wind chill on my hands. Tourmaster doesn't have a dual controller like the others but don't think it will be an issue this year. Last winter rode a Super Glide, not the same in frontal protection. Hands were a little cool then. Think I paid around $300-350 for both.
Also the liner is warm by itself. Don't even have to plug it in if it is in the upper 40s or more.

Quick Reply: First Gear vs Gerbing's vs HD Heated clothing