General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Gear vs Gerbing's vs HD Heated clothing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I just ordered some gerbings from JP cycles, they had 15% off with free shipping on cyber Monday. So I got gloves, socks and jacket liner, of course everything is back ordered probably till January.
Ive been doing some research and it was highly recommended to go with heatrollers and stay away from the gerbing controllers, because it is built a lot better.
BTW HD does come with lifetime warranty, they were trying to sell me their stuff last week.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:40 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Powerlett is a newer heated gear company which uses a different heat technology. It uses infared heating so does not have to contact the body directly like other heated gear does to transfer heat. Slightly pricier than Gerbings but comes with BlueTooth wireless controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeL8...layer_embedded

Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

I find with my heated liner it performs much better in cold weather, high 40s or below, when I wear it under the insulated liner of my jacket rather than replacing the insulated liner the jacket came with. The Gerbings heated liner, like most heated liners, only has a token amount of insulation. The bottom half of the liner in fact has no insulation. With an insulated liner worn over top of the heated liner, it holds in the generated heat. I can run the heated liner on a much lower setting and the heat is much, much more even with no hot and cold spots.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Powerlett is a newer heated gear company which uses a different heat technology. It uses infared heating so does not have to contact the body directly like other heated gear does to transfer heat. Slightly pricier than Gerbings but comes with BlueTooth wireless controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeL8...layer_embedded
Interesting but with no pants liner, no stand alone gloves (liner only and it only heats the top of the hand) and a higher price point - they aren't ready to challenge Gerbing just yet.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

You can mix and match brands. FirstGear/Warm&Safe/Gerbings/HD/Powerlett/etc. all can plug in to the the same controller. Time and the market I guess will determine how well they do.

Gerbings has an established name and sells better than any other brand but recently Warm&Safe seems to consistently beat Gerbings in head to head product comparisons, at least of their liners. Interested to see how Powerlett compares.

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-08-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:00 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,665 Likes on 1,511 Posts
Arrow a reply to myself?

Originally Posted by 2whlr4life
I've had my Gerbing jacket liner for about 5 years. I noticed this late fall, my right sleeve doesn't get as warm as the left. The bike is likely stored for the winter. So. I'm gonna test their 'lifetime warranty' by sending it back to them for a fix or replacement. My wife also has the liner in her size. I've tested all connections, controllers etc. I think its a wiring problem in the right sleeve. I registered it properly when I bought it. I will update this thread once my problem has been fixed.

I might add that I've been COMPLETELY happy/satisfied with their products and recommend them to all. I also have their heated gloves, they're kind hard to get hooked up through my sleeves, but once they are, I laugh at the cold!

Here's my update. Yesterday Gerbing shipped me a package with a new Jacket Liner & hook ups in it. Evidently they couldn't fix/repair the old one. I had to try it out in the garage with a beer after werk. It works Great and seems to get warmer then the old one. That's A+ service in my book to Gerbing.

Last weekend my brother/sister in law came in From Sioux Falls to go with us to the 'Progressive International Motorcycle Show' here in Mpls. Gerbing had a booth there along with 'Dr. Mudspringer' a local Indy. They ended up buying the Jacket Liners, gloves (T3's), and controls. I'm sure they'll be as happy as I've been with Gerbing products.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

my bud and I bought warm and safe liners a few years ago with the dual wireless remote. WOW. AT 40 degrees with nothing but a tshirt and hD nylon windbreaker on doing the Blue Ridge Parkway at about 1/2 power and was warm, really warm. Everyone else riding had about 50 pounds of leather, hoodies underneath etc on and still looked cold. Looked at us like we were crazy. Last year I bought the W&S gloves and they are perfectly matched to the liner for heat. Another guy I ride with bought the Gerbing but it doesn't have the wireless controller. Looks like wires everywhere.
cant' say anything bad about other brands, but you can't go wrong with W&S
strongly consider the remoter 'trollers. imho.