General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Gear vs Gerbing's vs HD Heated clothing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:30 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
HD heated gear is re labeled Gerbings heated gear sold at a slightly higher price but without the lifetime warranty Gerbings offers because apparently the HD sticker on it makes it worth more.
Sorry bad info.

Men's Heated Pant Liner

100% nylon ripstop. For best results, heated liner should be worn over a base layer and then under a jacket. Includes instruction manual, wiring, power switch, and connecting harness switch so they can be worn by themselves. Zipper and snap waist closure. Rib-knit leg cuffs. Graphics on left hip. 98326-09VM fits 30-32" inseam. 98326-09VL fits 34-36" inseam. One year limited warranty on garment. Lifetime warranty on heating elements.

I don't know any manufacturer in heated gear that gives lifetime on the garment. And I shopped for gerbing pants liner. Only found them at $199. Harley's are $175 online. I paid $146 after my MVP membership discount.

Last edited by wlbowers; 10-22-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:22 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by wlbowers
Sorry bad info.

Men's Heated Pant Liner

100% nylon ripstop. For best results, heated liner should be worn over a base layer and then under a jacket. Includes instruction manual, wiring, power switch, and connecting harness switch so they can be worn by themselves. Zipper and snap waist closure. Rib-knit leg cuffs. Graphics on left hip. 98326-09VM fits 30-32" inseam. 98326-09VL fits 34-36" inseam. One year limited warranty on garment. Lifetime warranty on heating elements.

I don't know any manufacturer in heated gear that gives lifetime on the garment. And I shopped for gerbing pants liner. Only found them at $199. Harley's are $175 online. I paid $146 after my MVP membership discount.
The heated clothing I've seen in the HD dealer was all identifable as Gerbings but it's been over a year since I researched this. As you point out some items may come from other manufacturers now. Regardless I would suggest checking out heated gear on manufacter's web sites like Gerbings, Warm&Safe and others. As a rule of thumb HD relabeled gear usually sells for more.

The HD heated jacket liners are/were the old style Gerbings. You can buy these for $99 at their online outlet store. The newer Gerbings microwire Gear is a step up in technology and has other improvements which is why it sells for more.

http://gerbing.com/
http://www.warmnsafe.com/
http://www.exo2theheatinside.com/

Last edited by fat_tony; 10-22-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

removed - duplicate post

Last edited by fat_tony; 10-23-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

The heated clothing I've seen in the HD dealer was all identifable as Gerbings but it's been over a year since I researched this. As you point out some items may come from other manufacturers now. Regardless I would suggest checking out heated gear on manufacter's web sites like Gerbings, Warm&Safe and others. As a rule of thumb HD relabeled gear usually sells for more.

The HD heated jacket/pant liners are/were the old style Gerbings. You can buy these for $99 at their online outlet store. The newer Gerbings microwire Gear is a step up in technology and has other improvements which is why it sells for more.
According to HD's site, all heated clothing is from Gerbing's.
However, the heated clothing outfit's stuff could also be used gear or B stocks as well as discontinued. Look here:

NOTE: We sell B-stock products. Products sold on this store are fully operational but may contain a slight flaw, minor blemish, or the product may be slightly used, but still in close to new condition. Some products may be 100% new but are being discontinued by the manufacturer. All products sold through HeatedClothingOutlet.com are sold as is. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Virtually all the big mail order sites have more selection and better prices than small local shops. Check www.google.com/prdhp , www.ebay.com , www.gerbings.com , www.revzilla.com , www.motorcyclesuperstore.com , www.bikebandit.com , etc.
Thank you for the reply. My post subscriptions are acting funky, so just getting this now.
Yes, online is cheaper by about $30.00 for the First Gear.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
We have Gerbings. My only complaint concerns the jacket liners. The leads that hide in the sleeves for the gloves to plug into are too short. They will not extend out far enough to stick out from under my leather jacket, making it nearly impossible to plug gloves into.
The new (micro-wire) liners have longer glove leads. I (finally) bought the liner this year and the leads are way longer than a buddy's liner which was the older style.

Instead of pants liners, I got the Gerbings Union Ridge Overpant, and absolutely love them. They no longer make them, but you can find new stock on ebay occasionally . They have been replaced with the Extreme Element overpants.
Yeah, that. I was able to get my pants off Craigslist and Wifey's from Ebay - CHEAP! Harley shouldn't even sell the pant liners. They are bulky (for a liner) and you need to wear something over them as they don't offer any type of protection. With the over-pants, they unzip at the leg and you can take them off when you get to your destnation. Or when the temps warm up.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:53 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

"Yeah, that. I was able to get my pants off Craigslist and Wifey's from Ebay - CHEAP! Harley shouldn't even sell the pant liners. They are bulky (for a liner) and you need to wear something over them as they don't offer any type of protection. With the over-pants, they unzip at the leg and you can take them off when you get to your destnation. Or when the temps warm up."

We experienced that on Saturday, when we left at 9:30 am at 37 degrees for a Patriot Guard event, and came home at 70 degrees.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
cocheese72
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
First Gear is the same as Warm & Safe, W&S makes the best contollers, their controllers are made in the USA. Their new remote controller is the cats meow!
HD heated gear is made by Gerbings and usually cost a little more than Gerbings just because of the HD label. Gerbings controllers are made in China.
Both W&S & Gerbings are good, I prefer the W&S myself. Most here will tell you to go with Gerbing.
www.warmnsafe.com
That all sounds great but they still don't offer a lifetime warranty. Made in the USA is good enough for a year.

For the lifetime warranty=Gerbing

Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

I use heated glove liners made by WarmGear. If I could afford the jacket liner I'd get it in a heartbeat, because the gloves work beautifully and I ride all year long. The warranty on them from the place I get them is fantastic too and the prices seem competitive. www.cozywinters.com

Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a look at gloves at a dealership the other day - some things you just gotta see in person. It was posted in this thread that only the new (dual source) gloves have the microwire technology. I found that to be untrue - both available pairs had it; the new dual source and the gloves that just run on 12-v.
The dual source gloves don't come with any cables, the others have all cables included.
Neither comes with a controller.
The dual source gloves were priced at $215, the 12-v gloves $185.

Quick Reply: First Gear vs Gerbing's vs HD Heated clothing