General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MoCo at it Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011 | 07:15 PM
scasey
Road Master
Default Captialism lol

From what I have encountered in going to different events/bars etc.. is I have come to the conclusion (right or wrong) that most HD riders are on the Conservative side of politics IMHO. What I find hypocritical by some is their support for a franchise that dictates what a dealer can do! Where is the capitalism/free market in that?

Person pays very high franchise fees for a dealership and if they want to discount prices and sell them to somebody at a lesser profit, they as an owner, should be able to do that at their own profit margin loss. This is what America is suppose to be all about. Can't blame Obama on this one but it is the very same thing as government control.

I think it is a said state of affairs that a company won't allow competition. Don't get me wrong about franchise protection but it is complete BS that some of these dealers try to sell bikes etc... at prices way over MSRP. This is where the MOCO brand will go when there is no competition for the dealers. What is to stop them from setting the higher prices???

Last edited by scasey; 10-20-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2011 | 08:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by scasey

I think it is a said state of affairs that a company won't allow competition. Don't get me wrong about franchise protection but it is complete BS that some of these dealers try to sell bikes etc... at prices way over MSRP. This is where the MOCO brand will go when there is no competition for the dealers. What is to stop them from setting the higher prices???
it isn't really competition when you're talking harley vs harley.

if you want to buy into a franchise, then you have to do things within the franchise agreement. don't want to do that, buy another franchise, or start your own.

so far, these 'new' policies haven't really affected me. the hd dealers that i saw advertising on ebay were selling stuff at buy it now prices equal to msrp. never saw any 'deals' on amazon either. i've got a small handful of dealers that i frequent online, which are still giving discounts. i try to buy some things from the local dealer, but a lot of the big ticket stuff i'll buy at discount.

Old 10-20-2011 | 08:59 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by skratch

if you want to buy into a franchise, then you have to do things within the franchise agreement. don't want to do that, buy another franchise, or start your own.

so far, these 'new' policies haven't really affected me. the hd dealers that i saw advertising on ebay were selling stuff at buy it now prices equal to msrp. never saw any 'deals' on amazon either. i've got a small handful of dealers that i frequent online, which are still giving discounts. i try to buy some things from the local dealer, but a lot of the big ticket stuff i'll buy at discount.

Really...... So what about your local Ford/Chev/Dodge dealers that are owned by different franchise owners? Do u not see a million commercials a week competing for your business? Sorry I have to disagree, it is all about competition in a free market and HD is trying to stop that by not allowing dealers to sell for what they want to sell the product for!

Old 10-20-2011 | 09:06 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by skratch

What meant by the local Ford etc..... Dealers is most towns/cities will have a few of the same stores owned by different people who sell the same product competing for yours and my business.

That is free market and what makes America great. The ones willing to deal will stay in business and the ones who won't go away.

Old 10-20-2011 | 09:26 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master

Back when I had the VTX, the forums were supported by Direct line Parts. Most holidays they would have a 20% sale. Wanting to support the folks that support the forum, I placed an order for about $60 one time. Turns out they have a warehouse here in NC so I paid sales tax (7.25% at the time)---about $7 S&H and got the joy of waiting a few days. I could have got it cheaper and quicker going with the local guy. Live and learn.

Old 10-20-2011 | 09:42 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

They are doing what the dealers want them to do and what they should do.

A strong healthy dealer is in the best interests of their bike customers. US based customers can still get discounted parts direct from some dealers.

Before I buy a bike, I make a list of the things that I want from it and get them 20% off with the purchase of the bike. Later it is usually aftermarket items and I wait for the vendor to have a sale.

It happens from time to time like an oil filter for full price but mostly discounted stuff. Life takes planning to succeed.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-20-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2011 | 09:49 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bikenator
Gosh...you might actually have to support your local in-country Harley-Davidson dealer...oh the horror!!
http://www.dublinharley-davidson.com/
I'll support the Yakima dealer but not my local dealer.

Support them if you can. If you don't, there should be no surprise at the inevitable consequence.
Wouldn't break my heart a bit.

Old 10-20-2011 | 09:49 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Y'all know why this is happening. If you don't, then you need to crawl out from under that rock you've been living under for the past few years and get some common sense. Local economies are hurting world-wide. Support them if you can. If you don't, there should be no surprise at the inevitable consequence.
I guess I take the position that the local dealer needs to provide a "Service" for the difference in price that is available through their competitors ie over the internet. Competition comes in all forms. Product and price are not the only two variables that come into play when I make my purchase decisions. I weigh the difference in price from their competitors compared to the: convenience, product selection, ability to touch and feel a part (particularly clothing), the product knowledge of their employees, return policies, and if they do, or do not, support any warranty issues I might have with the manufacturer. But, when thier product selection is poor, thier employees are marginally competent, their return policies are onerous, when I have to purchase the special tools the dealer is supposed to have (and use) in order to make my case before the MoCo representatives . . . Well now, I have to ask myself why I should be so foolish as to purchase from my local dealer. The ONLY thing they're competing on is price, and that makes the decision an easy one for me.

Old 10-21-2011 | 03:15 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

You can still buy parts on line. Dealers cannot sell on e-bay or to overseas customers.
I buy all my parts online and get 20% off, free shipping and no sales tax.
This has to do with the contract in place with Harley Davidson International. Harley Davidson USA cannot undercut Harley Internationals prices to their dealers.
It's all a money/lawyer thing!

Old 10-21-2011 | 07:08 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior

Per my small shop friend...He has to buy his HD parts from a dealer in his Zone. He can not stock parts and probably mail order will stop in the future. Also, he just had an order cancelled by the out-of-zone dealer he had a good working relationship with. That dealer just lost an 8K order. He wasn't happy.

Now the question is??? What if your zone dealer and you aren't on the best of terms....no discount for parts and there goes your business.

Last edited by Jerry1834; 10-21-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: another statement

Quick Reply: MoCo at it Again