General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MoCo at it Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011 | 05:34 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser
Default Good Points

Two good points here. I heard a few months ago that HD dealers were going to be prohibited from selling on e-bay as of Oct. 1, 2011.

Also, as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, Amazon is closing up shop in some states which are now charging internet sales tax. As I understand it, if Amazon has a warehouse or distribution center in a state, that state will try to collect sales tax. Probably just a matter of time before all internet sales are taxed.

On a good note, you can still buy from the HD dealers which sell on e-bay, just go through their internet parts site. Here's a few which sell most parts for around 20% off:

www.surdyke.com
www.zanottimotor.com
www.lshd1.com (Lakeshore HD's discount parts web site)

Always compare prices WITH shipping, as the shipping charges can vary substantially.

Old 10-20-2011 | 05:37 PM
Bikenator
Club Member

Y'all know why this is happening. If you don't, then you need to crawl out from under that rock you've been living under for the past few years and get some common sense. Local economies are hurting world-wide. Support them if you can. If you don't, there should be no surprise at the inevitable consequence.

Old 10-20-2011 | 05:50 PM
cmancini26
Tourer

The only real problem I see with this is the indy shops will no longer be getting there normal before increase price on oe parts so we will probably be seeing more aftermarket parts being pushed than oe.

Old 10-20-2011 | 06:05 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bikenator
Y'all know why this is happening. If you don't, then you need to crawl out from under that rock you've been living under for the past few years and get some common sense. Local economies are hurting world-wide. Support them if you can. If you don't, there should be no surprise at the inevitable consequence.
Your point is well taken. However, it is a tough economy not just for dealers, manufacturers and retailers. If someone wants to purchase an HD part and can save anywhere from $20 to several hundred by purchasing online from a non-local dealer, then it is the local dealer which should "crawl out from under the rock [it's] been living under for the past few years and get some common sense." It is more and more a global economy, and local vendors need to realize that they cannot overcharge and ask good people to throw away good money. If they don't offer at least competitive pricing (not necessarily the lowest, but at least competitive), they're going to lose customers and for good reason.

If there are HD dealers which do well selling parts for 20% or more off, then your and my local dealers can and should come close to matching that.

Old 10-20-2011 | 06:13 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nightstalker88
Part of dealer protectionism, you'll be forced to pay what the local dealer charges. even over MSRP. The CVO I was interested is selling at my local dealer for $4,000 over suggested retail, at this time of year in Ohio.
Just got back from a ride throughout Arizona. Saw a 2012 CVO ultra for msrp at Superstition Harley in Apache Junction. Saw a 2011 CVO road glide at Flagstaff for $40,000. The ultra was the one that was purple and gray. Good looking bike, but I like the one with yellow.

Old 10-20-2011 | 06:15 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

I used to shop at the 20% places, but you know what? It aint that great of a deal all things considered. I've really shifted over to support my local dealer.

First, my dealership gives me 10%, plus I use their loyalty card which furthers the discount.

Plus they do give me good advice and I rely on them for that advice. Its worth something. In the Detroit area, the economy sucks, so for a few extra bucks I feel good about it. I don't have a problem with someone running a profitable business, and the guys on the floor sure aren't wealthy but I'm fairly certain they are glad to be employed.

Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

I used to shop at the 20% places, but you know what? It aint that great of a deal all things considered. I've really shifted over to support my local dealer.

First, my dealership gives me 10%, plus I use their loyalty card which furthers the discount.

Plus they do give me good advice and I rely on them for that advice. Its worth something. In the Detroit area, the economy sucks, so for a few extra bucks I feel good about it. I don't have a problem with someone running a profitable business, and the guys on the floor sure aren't wealthy but I'm fairly certain they are glad to be employed.

dylder
Tourer

If possible I try to wait and buy parts I need when the local dealer is having one if its 15% off sales.

Old 10-20-2011 | 06:34 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu

I guess that's my point. Your dealer gives you 10% off plus their loyalty card, which I would guess gives you points you can turn in for discounts. You're probably getting close to what the 20%-off online dealers charge when shipping is factored in. That would get me close enough to consistently buy from my local dealer, but my local dealer recently canned its 10% off. They also have a rewards card, but the points don't get you close to 20% off, and you have to use the points or lose them by the end of the calendar year. Like you, I'll still buy from them even if it means paying some extra cash, but if I can save a big chunk of change (roughly $75 or more) in a single purchase by buying online, that's what I tend to do.

Old 10-20-2011 | 06:38 PM
slyder
Road Master

Originally Posted by Virgil Cain
Uh...if you saw my local H-D dealer you realize the horror.
Amen!! my local shop was so bad HD yanked their dealership. Took them 20 plus years to get it done but they finally did it. So now if I want an HD part i have to drive 100 miles.

Quick Reply: MoCo at it Again