General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

These INDY shops you people refer to...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default These INDY shops you people refer to...

I had never heard of these untill this forum, so i'm guessing there are none in my neck of the woods. What are they? Strictly motorcycle shops? Is there a website to locate a shop?

Old 11-27-2006, 09:03 PM
TRITON
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: These INDY shops you people refer to...

Far as I know an INDY shop is a motorcycle repair shop that isn't affiliated with a dealership. Should be easy to find, let your fingers do the walkin.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Try Googling "motorcycle shops Connecticut"

Old 11-27-2006, 09:06 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

indy=independant
aka,, "Bobs bikes
cides cycles
ricks wrecks,,,
south eastern northern choppers Inc county riders

Old 11-27-2006, 10:42 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask around, get a good recommendation. Some independent shops are worse to deal with than the dealers, some are much better. It's like finding anything else, there are dealers, independent shops that run from outstanding to horrible. Get a good reference or stop in and check a few out, they're not all that hard to find. Wherever you find motorcycles and riders, there will be an indy shop nearby.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:46 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have finally found a good indy shop for the wife's & daughters cars but need to find one for the truck & bike. The auto one is 1/2 the price of the dealer and staffed with all ex-dealer mechanics. Even some dealers take their cars there. Once you find a good indy shop you won't go anywhere else.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm fortunate that I have a great indy shop that is only 2 blocks from my work.The guy has been in the same location for almost 30 years.Family owned and operated.The father and 2 other mechanics do all the Harley work and the son does all the crotchrocket stuff.The owner is very knowledgeable and has quite a nice collection of older Harleys.Always very friendly with a "thanks for the business" on the way out.This is probaly the only shop I would take my bike to.I agree totally with KBFXDLI.Once you find a good indy,you won't go back to the dealer.(unless you need warranty work done).

Old 11-28-2006, 10:45 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In So-Cal, I have found that the indy shops I have looked at are priced at close to the same price as the dealer.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:52 AM
skips69
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Word of mouth advertising is usually the norm for these guy's. There are about a half dozen in my area, but only one is in the yellow pages. All of my local Indy's are former HD Tech's. Charging 1/3 the cost of the dealership on labor, but still putting more $ in their own pockets (lower overhead). Like all shops - some good, some bad. Just have to sort them out. For warranty work, I go to the dealer. For all else, I do myself or start asking one of the Indy's. They are way more willing to bend over backwards for you and take more time to walk you through some ideas and options. Ordering parts through the aftermarket is usually cheaper alot of times if going through my local Indy's - they get free shipping and handling no matter how big or small the order and if they're big enough to be in the "chain". No mark-ups either. Probably just hoping they can get the labor out of you to install........Definately nice to have them as an option.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Indy=Independent. Usually ex-dealer wrench who goes out on his own. Either he wasn't very good or he was good but had a falling out with the dealer. I have one who is very good, But I don't like leaving my bike there for an extended period of time due to location. That makes it very difficult.

Quick Reply: These INDY shops you people refer to...