General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ooops... Slippery little things....

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ooops... Slippery little things....

Well, dropped the bike today. Probably won’t be the first time either. Man, not a pleasant experience. Car pulled out in front of me, and I stopped damn hard. Got that over with but then relaxed as I was kind of relieved. Then before I knew it, the front was at a serious angle due to the sudden stop; and just started dropping.

Hell, these damn bikes are heavy. You don’t really notice it until it’s gone over too far and your fighting a loosing battle to keep it up. Anyhow, she went down and I panicked, and with the adrenolyn etc, managed to rip it back up again. Gawd knows how I did it, but I kinda hurt my back doing it.

Anyhow, she was down for like 3 seconds, but the weird thing is, there is no damage, or major damage. The only thing I can see is the floorboard got a little scuffed, not even scuffed, just a markish blur that sort of came off, The floorboard was actually doubled back so it was pointed upwards. I think it’s a little bent in, but am not sure. Can’t remember the exact position. Spent like 15 mins going over every tiny thing on the right side and can’t see anything apart from a small ding on the mirror. But it’s just a nick.

Guess I was just really lucky. But I’m glad I ordered guards, they should be here in a couple weeks.

My question is…… Did many of you do this when first starting out on the Harleys, (dropping it for some reason) or am I just a clumsy a$$?

Also, I can’t believe the pipes did not hit, ….. I mean the passenger pegs were not even out. Weird.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:48 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ooops... Slippery little things....

Rest assued, it's never a matter of 'if' you dropped your bike...it's more like a matter of 'when'. We all do it, if we haven't yet, we will.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped my Shovel the first day I had it and I even had the ol on the back we were pulling into a gas station on an uphill climb and we were going so slow barley moving and with the extended front end and the apes standing straight up the uphill climb at slow to no speed it was embaressing but kinda funny now that I look at it as this bike attracts attention when sitting still let alone when riding it
so every one was watching and before we knew we were even going over it was on the ground and there was three guys there to pick it up ..............

Old 11-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are only two kinds of bikes in the world, those that have been down and those that are going down!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

food for thought,,,,,,,,,
back during racing days...
most of us that bought a new helmet with expesive 1 of paint job,,,
you always drop it on the ground on purpose, to put the first scratch on it,
thus preventing it from happpening while competeing,,
supposedly..?!
so , now, your set for life!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:21 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

food for thought,,,,,,,,,
back during racing days...
most of us that bought a new helmet with expesive 1 of paint job,,,
you always drop it on the ground on purpose, to put the first scratch on it,
thus preventing it from happpening while competeing,,
supposedly..?!
so , now, your set for life!!!
Yep, and that's why I always take my new car(s) down to the Wal-Mart parking lot and park as close to a mini-van as possible... Dent that door baby! Get it outta the way! Otherwise you just stress and stress and stress waiting for that first "ding". Hell it was a year and then some before I got the first blemish on the 03 RKC and I noticed it while standing out in the parking lot at the dealership looking in on the scoot while it was on a lift... the tank had a dent right behind the 100th Anniversary Emblem. No way that could've happened other than somebody opening a door into it. And it's not like I park next to cagers all that often.

Don't sweat it... just be careful not to hurt yourself picking the scoot back up... would really suck to not be able to ride it cuz your back is all jacked up.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

picked mine up a couple of times glad your ok.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

Glad you're fine and the bike is still "mint".

Ride safe!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:31 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't fell bad, indeed it happens to all of us, so join the club

Old 11-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Zyklon
Tourer

I am sure that there are riders that have ridden motorcycles for decades and not dropped their bikes even once but I can certainly not make that claim. After a reaching a certain point a bike weighing 650 pounds or more is just really difficult to catch or stop once it has started over. Good on ya, if you can save it or at least slow it down and lessen the amount of damage.

Zyklon

Quick Reply: Ooops... Slippery little things....