General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ooops... Slippery little things....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:30 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ooops... Slippery little things....

It's not if you ever go down just a matter of when.
ORIGINAL: IRready

I am calling Bull Sh*t on this statement![:@]

ORIGINAL: Alias

There are only two kinds of bikes in the world, those that have been down and those that are going down!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 AM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, I call Bull sheet. I have a friend that rode MC's for over 50 years, mostly HD's and never had a accident or went down. He is now in too poor of health to ride. Sold his bike and is in his 70's. I remember him as a young kid watching him ride by with his leather cap. Little did I know someday I would be working for him. We had a long talk about MC's, and he told me how fortunate he was he had never been in an accident OR layed his bike down. He did tell me that I could expect to have it happen and odds are I would. Let me add this guy rode on cross country trips and was not your weekender rider. He was a true biker, and rather you want to believe it or not, NEVER layed his bike down. So, it may be rare and unlikely, but it can and does happen. I have been riding for 30 years, and knocking on wood, I have yet to lay it down. I have been close and very lucky, but never down. That said I am now pissed because I suppose I am now jinxed! So the saying you WILL go down is BS. Might be likely, but not absolutely.[:@]

ORIGINAL: Bryan1724

There are only two kinds of bikes in the world, those that have been down and those that are going down!

Old 11-28-2006, 03:19 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, I call Bull sheet. I have a friend that rode MC's for over 50 years, mostly HD's and never had a accident or went down. He is now in too poor of health to ride. Sold his bike and is in his 70's. I remember him as a young kid watching him ride by with his leather cap. Little did I know someday I would be working for him. We had a long talk about MC's, and he told me how fortunate he was he had never been in an accident OR layed his bike down. He did tell me that I could expect to have it happen and odds are I would. Let me add this guy rode on cross country trips and was not your weekender rider. He was a true biker, and rather you want to believe it or not, NEVER layed his bike down. So, it may be rare and unlikely, but it can and does happen. I have been riding for 30 years, and knocking on wood, I have yet to lay it down. I have been close and very lucky, but never down. That said I am now pissed because I suppose I am now jinxed! So the saying you WILL go down is BS. Might be likely, but not absolutely.[:@]

ORIGINAL: Bryan1724

I believe you completely. When you hear someone say they "had to lay it down", it's nothing more than than a thinly disguised admission of their failure to maintain control of the motorcycle and execute a successfull evasive maneuver in a panic situation, masquerading as an intentional act. In virtually every case, there was a better alternative action not taken. A pragmatic and honest rider will be able to readily concede this and face up to it, and actually learn from it.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:06 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah well, ok I confess... Once upon a time I dropped my Honda cuz I forgot to put the kickstand down before I dismounted, something about the chick on the beach in the thong (Daytona) distracted me... then there was the time at the car wash when the friction coefficient of the tires and the wet pavement was insufficient to support the traction necessary to maintain forward momentum and then one time at band camp there was a curve in the road that failed to support my velocity and angle of entry. So I've made a personal contribution to the statistical probabilities therefore some of you who haven't dropped your scoot can rest comfortably... I've dropped mine enough times to "cover" you.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Danester
Road Master

Yep - - joined the club here too..

either your a Chopper Dropper or a Tourer Floorer....

insert small drum roll here: du du dum chi

Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 AM
daveervin
Advanced

Back in the summer mine was going down after I pulled into a parking space on a sharp turn and set my foot on some gravel. I jerked it back upright with all I had and kept it up, but sprained my left wrist pretty bad doing it. It was 4 months ago and it still hurts to ride and lift things.

Dave

Old 11-28-2006, 10:26 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: IRready

Again, I call Bull sheet. I have a friend that rode MC's for over 50 years, mostly HD's and never had a accident or went down. He is now in too poor of health to ride. Sold his bike and is in his 70's.

B.S. Speaking as a 72 year old man who has ridden 60+ years, the only reason a person is "too poor of health" is because he can't hold up his bike anymore and the only reason he knows that he can't hold it up anymore is because he's dropped the DAMN thing!!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2006, 10:46 AM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be true, but still he learned this before he had a incident. I am sure I will not be that smart. After getting into this discussion I will prob be posting a "down" story as I am now jinxed.....[sm=headbang.gif]
[quote]ORIGINAL: whaap

Again, I call Bull sheet. I have a friend that rode MC's for over 50 years, mostly HD's and never had a accident or went down. He is now in too poor of health to ride. Sold his bike and is in his 70's.

B.S. Speaking as a 72 year old man who has ridden 60+ years, the only reason a person is "too poor of health" is because he can't hold up his bike anymore and the only reason he knows that he can't hold it up anymore is because he's dropped the DAMN thing!!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

May be true, but still he learned this before he had a incident. I am sure I will not be that smart. After getting into this discussion I will prob be posting a "down" story as I am now jinxed.....[sm=headbang.gif]
Simple fix for that IReady - quit believing in "jinxes".

Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 AM
scrawfordFLSTC
Outstanding HDF Member

that sucks, glad you're OK and the bike is OK...

Quick Reply: Ooops... Slippery little things....