General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in the Saddle after a fall - Wiser and Humble

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Back in the Saddle after a fall - Wiser and Humble

Greetings - I posted about my first accident in 40 years a bit over a week ago. Got the bike back from the dealer today, looks like new. The first ride was a bit tentative, but as it progressed I got more and more comfortable. Thanks for the encouragement and good suggestions.

I'm still grateful that my fall was minor, and that the damage to myself and the bike were also minor. But, I still feel concerned about what could have been if my wife was on the back with me when I fell. I'm back in my Aerostich suit (yeah, I know) and despite feeling like the whole world is looking at me and saying "What a dork", I must admit that if I was wearing it when I fell I would have had absolutely no damage to my knees (which are healing, but sore), and no road rash (minor, but really uncomfortable). As a bonus, it started to drizzle on the way home and the suit kept me dry and warm. It's also very visible (yeah, I know - Hi-Viz color) and has body armor in all the right areas.

I wore it once (just once) to a Harley event. The local sheriff (riding a Harley, of course) turned on his lights and pulled me over in the parking lot. "Son, there are some things in life worse than dying on a motorcycle. Riding in that suit is one of them." He was partly joking, but I remember feeling a bit uncomfortable on the ride as everyone was "looking at me". Well, the fact is whoever was looking at me was looking at me, and if they were or not, safety and everything that goes on when I'm riding is my responsibility. So, yeah, I'm not "in uniform", but I'm adapting to what I need to keep riding. With a grandson and family that's not something that I take lightly. So, for me it's a tradeoff - I trade off looking like a biker for actually being able to ride my bike a few years longer. To me, that's the whole point - isn't it?

Final comment: I was riding a different brand of bike years ago (yeah, I know there is no other bike) and I had my Hi-Viz suit on. I rode for 300 miles that day, in mountains, and on high speed roads. The temperature fell from the 60s to the 40s by night time. Then it rained - softly at first, hard later. I pulled off the highway to gas up and to get some hot coffee. A car pulled up to the pump next to me. "Just want you to know that I saw you easily in that suit. The stipe on the back of your suit lit up in my headlights and the color of the suit was easy to see in the mist. I passed a lot of motorcycles today, but except for you I didn't see any of them until I was right behind them." Scared me a bit that he got so close to a motorcycle rider - was he tailgating, speeding, or just unaware of bikers? Whatever the reason I was glad I had that suit on. And I was perfectly dry along the way, but could have used a fleece for more comfort. Maybe a Hi-Viz suit isn't for you, but then again maybe it is. The point is, you make the choice, don't let anyone else make it for you. At least that's my thought after leaving pieces of my skin on the road because I didn't want to look like a dork. I didn't look like a dork when I fell, but I felt like a dork with my leg in a soft cast and road rash burning my legs.

Anyway, enough soapbox commentary. The bike's back, I'm back on it, and the knees and legs are healing nicely. Thanks to all for the help and private messages - much appreciated. Great community we have here - believe me I know, been on many forums over the years. None better than this one.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm happy to hear you are on it w/out wussin' off; however, &, I'm glad you are fond of the suit...but...I'm still gonna make fun of ya. We'll laugh & joke in the end right?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I wear whatever makes me comfortable and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. For years I only wore a full face helmet on my HD and still wear it a good bit, but the old wind in the face attraction sometimes gets the better of me. Anyway, glad you're okay and still riding.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick. Go to Home Depot and buy three cans of flat black paint. Put suit on. Shake cans well and hand them to your wife. Tell her to aim them at you and push the little button on top. Psychedelic color problem solved. Armor still works. Add a leather jacket and you're all set.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the paint idea!! I have a HD H-Viz vest that I use when visiting friends on military bases. It's required to have Hi-Viz on military bases.

As much as I hate to admit it, the damn thing seems to make a difference. I did notice that while on the road I had more room around me, and people backed off when they got close. Even had one young cager look up when she was a few feet from me at an intersection and stop texting to mouth an "I'm sorry, didn't see you" as she jammed her brakes.

Yeah, it's pretty obnoxious as a color, but it's hard to ignore it.

I still have my Fox Creek leathers and that's what I was wearing when I fell. The jacket protected me as well as anything could. Not a mark on my upper body, and the jacket looks as good as new. Didn't have the chaps on (it wasn't that cool outside) and maybe if I did I'd have been fine. Just don't understand why chaps protect just the legs, not the "vitals" or the butt. Wish I could be skilled enough to plan my fall so that the chaps would provide the protection I want, but I just learned that falling isn't a planned event and things happen too fast.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Hi-Viz Motoport armored jacket and a Roof full face helmet saved my skin on a lay-down I had in April. One knee took a hell of a scraping, and despite the riding boots I had on, still had my ankle dislocated and broken. 6 months later, just had to have the hardware removed (see the pics, they're posted up somewheres here) and now have a staph infection. First thing bystanders said when they came up to me was we saw the jacket before we saw the bike (yellow Roadie).

I'll take the ribbings, and figure those who tease are the ones who haven't met the 2nd definition: There are two types of bikers: those who have gone down, and those that will.....

Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking a fall definitely changes your view on protection. I felt very lucky to get up and walk away from my accident without a scratch because I had the right equipment on and luckily didn't hit any objects. When it gets warm out i still use my Dragon Kevlar shirt and I'm getting a pair of Slider Kevlar jeans this week. Safety is a very personal choice that seems to be adjusted by our experiences. Glad you found something that works for you and that your getting your comfort level back.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I was on a charity ride on Sunday (temps in the low 50's, cloudy and very windy) and I was wearing my winter weight riding pants, with knee and hip protectors, from First Gear. Sure, they weren't hi-viz, but I was the only one not in chaps. I heard a comment or two, but what the heck do I care?

At the end of the ride, I was still nice and warm - everyone else was running for hot coffee, and jumping up and down trying to warm up. Guess I got the last laugh.

Anyway, the point is - whatever keeps you comfortable for riding is good - it matters not what others may think.