General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei MultiTech Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbob123
Correct me if I am wrong ( and I do tend to be ) but is the Shark fully certified as a full face helmet when closed or as a modular helmet - I know the C3 is actually full ECU / DOT approved once fully closed passes all the full face tests with flying colours. I believe its one of the very few that does
Yes, as to my understanding, the SHARK Evoline 2 is both fully ECE 22.05 and DOT compliant in both closed and open riding positions, is only helmet ridable at freeway speeds in open position and I believe was rated the strongest modular style helmet in closed position due to its unique locking latching mechanism.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fattire_Biker
I've had my MultiTech for about 2 1/2 years. It's a quality well built helmet. SNELL & DOT compliant. Comfortable. Not sure how the noise level compares with other modulars. When traveling, I will flip up the chin bar as I cruise through the small towns. Don't really don't like to have the chin bar up doing much more than about 45 mph. My only complaint is that the helmet is enormous. Looks like I have a big watermelon stuck between my shoulders.
Fat, LOL! Looking at your photo it appears you would have a hard time placing both those Shoeis in your Tourpak! I have an 3/4 Shoei now that needs replacing and I agree with you, I always felt mine was a large helmet along the lines of a melon top. At least the modular styling is a little more dynamic than the typical round bucket of days of yore.....

Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Fattire_Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hoethree,

Dang if we don't look like a couple of Martians on the bike. LOL. You're right, I can't fit both helmets in the Tourpak. Just one. I lock the other helmet to the bike frame. Funny thing is that I was thinking about buying Shoeis 3/4 as it looks a bit more proportianal. You satisfied with your 3/4?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Multi Tec and a Quest, I love the Muli but the Quest is way quieter, lighter and the faceshield is much bigger. The Quest makes it worth the inconvenience of not having a flip up.
Put a Pin lock shield on and there will be no fogging.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,205 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
About to drop some large on this helmet. Wanting the protection of a full-face but the versatility of a 3/4 open face so this "modular" offers both.
Anybody unhappy with this helmet? Was also considering the new Nolan but cant find it locally for fitment.

Why not a Bell Revolver? Looks like a decent modular helmet for only $200.

Update…I take that back, they're on sale at the Motorcycle Superstore for $109.95…some reviews complain that it's a loud helmet. What modular isn't?

Last edited by Then Came Bronson; 10-21-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:39 PM
jlfabian
Tourer

I have the Shark Evoline Series 2. I ride with the chin bar up frequently at Interstate speeds (70+ mph). Shark replaced my internal sunvisor at no cost due to a problem with the design. It is a very comfortable helmet though it can be a bit noisy at higher speeds (but what helmet isn't). It has broken in to fit my head as I've had it for about a year and a half. It does meet all applicable safety standards. For a modular, I haven't seen one that is that much better.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 2 Shoei Multitechs with different headsets in, this helemt has very good ear-speaker holes and they are my default winter weather helmet,

I also have the Shark Evo 2 as mentioned above, it is a great compromise but is very heavy. Ok if you have a big neck I suppose but on smaller folk may get tiring. I would wear this mostly in the raised postion and use it with a smoked outer visor along with the darker inner as neither is truly dark enough.

Also I have the Roof Boxer V8 Black Shadow - not sure if you get this one Stateside http://www.grandprixlegends.com/moto...ow-helmet.html
This is more my summer helmet, it gives more vision has a cool visor isn't so heavy etc, I currently have a complete black visor on mine rather than the silver iridium version. Ear pods are ok and chin bar comes down if it rains but not in use normally.

You takes your pick....

Old 10-21-2011, 03:51 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

hoethree,

Dang if we don't look like a couple of Martians on the bike. LOL. You're right, I can't fit both helmets in the Tourpak. Just one. I lock the other helmet to the bike frame. Funny thing is that I was thinking about buying Shoeis 3/4 as it looks a bit more proportianal. You satisfied with your 3/4?
Fat, I always felt the Shoei 3/4 was a LARGE helmet, suitable for astronauts. It has been a quality helmet as you would expect from Shoei but its 11 years old now and well, old school, for sure. I just keep thinking of the faceplant my sister-in-law did two years ago which ended her solo riding days. Hence the full face or modular helmet interest.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Hooker 6
Tourer

Love my Multitec - had it for three years. It's nice to flip the bar up for ventilation, but not practical or safe at speed. Visor flips up nicely and doesn't grab too much wind. Fits like a glove, no hot spots at even 500 miles.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my MultiTech for about 2 1/2 years. It's a quality well built helmet. SNELL & DOT compliant...
I think you should double check for that Snell sticker on that modular Multitec. I thought Snell wouldn't approve modulars? Something change?

Quick Reply: Shoei MultiTech Helmet