Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H quiet baffle questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 321 Likes on 181 Posts
Default V&H quiet baffle questions

I love loud pipes, but my bike seems to have gotten louder and I can't start it up at home or work without everyone knowing. I have an 01 fatboy with v&h BSS with regular baffles. I am thinking of changing baffles to v&h quiet or BCT QQ baffles. Got a few questions:

1. How do v&h quiet baffles compare to regular v&h baffles - both noise and performance?
2. Is BCT QQ baffle quiet - how do they compare to v&h baffles? I heard a few video clips and they seemed pretty loud.
3. Do the BCT baffles really give much performance over other aftermarket baffles? Website makes many claims, but comparing mainly to exhausts with no baffles or cut baffles.
4. Is there any difference in construction between regular v&h baffles and their quiet baffles, or is it just wrapped in insulation?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by txphatboy
I love loud pipes, but my bike seems to have gotten louder and I can't start it up at home or work without everyone knowing. I have an 01 fatboy with v&h BSS with regular baffles. I am thinking of changing baffles to v&h quiet or BCT QQ baffles. Got a few questions:

1. How do v&h quiet baffles compare to regular v&h baffles - both noise and performance?
2. Is BCT QQ baffle quiet - how do they compare to v&h baffles? I heard a few video clips and they seemed pretty loud.
3. Do the BCT baffles really give much performance over other aftermarket baffles? Website makes many claims, but comparing mainly to exhausts with no baffles or cut baffles.
4. Is there any difference in construction between regular v&h baffles and their quiet baffles, or is it just wrapped in insulation?
1) Definately a DEEPER tone.
2) Can't answer
3) Can't answer
4) There's a difference in construction & their wrapped. I installed them in my Longshots & they definately sound better (deeper) & are noticeably quieter but still NOT quiet. Worth the $$ IMO.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:07 AM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Thanks - any drop in performance when switching to the quiet baffles?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't answer any of your questions but I have a set of V&H QBs on my floor waiting to go in. Maybe I'll get in done this weekend. If I do I'll take some before/after video for you.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Simple Man
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the V&H quiet baffles in the Short Shots on my Fat Bob. They are a little quieter, especially when riding at low RPMs. They still have a pretty good bark when you roll on the throttle. They are wrapped with what looks like fiberglass, but I think it is burning out relatively quick. The original baffles are a straight through design, where the quiets have a solid end with holes around the outside. Didn't notice a difference in performance, but I don't think my bike was tuned the best when I bought it anyway. Still working on that. BTW, I put anti-seize on mine when I installed them, they should come out easier if I want to change them out.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
fuzzy_math
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txphatboy
I'm running V&H QB's in BigShots and they give a little more torque off the bottom.
They're quieter but the stock packing doesn't last long and once it's blown out it's as loud as the stock baffles again.
I now run FMF packing from a 4 stroke dirt bike and it's quieter and lasts longer than the V&H.
I added Hardcore baffles later and they quieted it way down. Not too crazy about the sound, but it is what it is and better than stock pipes for sure.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

They will lower Ur sound 2-3 DB's, some say 4-5 DB's, but they have a deeper note.

Regular baffle

V&H's Q baffle.
The V&H's Q baffle

The V&H's Q baffle is made quite different. The reg baffle has no room for the wrapping on the outside of it.

Last edited by oct1949; 10-18-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 767 Posts

I had the V&H quiet baffles in my slipons. What was said about them above is correct.
Replaced them with BCT QQ's because I felt there wasn't enough difference going from the stock V&H to the quiet baffles. The BCT's had a much deeper, fuller sound, which is what I was after. And they were anything but quiet. As for performance, if there was any difference from one to another it was minimal.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Also I'll add that V&Hs rec's that the Q baffles be re-wrapped every Yr.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the responses - a lot of useful info. I am most likely going to get v&h quiet baffles and rewrap with better material when needed. I recently added some se204 cams using a canned map for the PCIII (unfortunately, only map available is for 203 cams), but I think I am going to get a tune and custom map here in the next couple weeks. I am going to install the QB baffles first to get the best tune possible. Bike runs good and strong, but I can't wait to see how much smoother and more power can come from a good tune.

Quick Reply: V&H quiet baffle questions