General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Risk Reward

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:03 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
I get a weird/bad feeling every time I get on the Super slab when a bunch of Semi's are around me in my cager.

Ur not the first nor will U be the last to write a threat asking this.

Only U can figure out what U need to do.

If U choose to keep riding then I'd suggest to make Ur-self as visible as possible.
Ride as safe as U can. Learn to be the best Defensive rider U can be.

I stay away from high traffic areas as much as possible. Hate big cities and super slabs.
Always prepare for the worst at all times by watching intersections and side roads 100%. and slow down when needed.

Speed, people turning left in front of me and road conditions have my full respect.
I hate to tell you, but 2 lane surface streets and backroads are much more dangerous than interstates.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

We had four kids, three boys and a girl. I had a Honda 160 scrambler at the time, and did a lot of off road riding, and some highway riding. I sold it while they were still little and did not start riding again until they were out of school. I then bought a 84 Sportster and started riding again. I now have a 99 Softail Custom, and ride whenever I want as I am retired.

I still have that feeling that you have sometimes, but mine is how my wife would handle it if something would happen to me. I don't think that worry is really a bad thing unless it gets excessive. It will keep you from doing dumb things, and help you be defensive rider.

As far as backroads being more dangerous than interstates, I don't think so myself, but I suppose it depends on the area you live in. Out here in the middle of Ks. you can ride for hours and see very little traffic. I have ridden 50,000 miles of mostly backroads over the last 20 years, and have only had a couple of what I would call dangerous events. Both were people pulling out from driveways in front of me, but were far enough for me to easily get stopped. I do some interstate riding also, but those trucks scare me, mostly that they can loose tire tread, or have a blowout right close to where I am. I am glad I live in a rural area and rarely ride where there is a lot of traffic in the city.

The hardest thing my wife and I ever went through was when our second oldest son was killed on a Harley when he was 42 years old. He left his wife and three kids without a husband father. He was a self made millionare, so at least his family did not have a financial buden on top of everything else. I could not ride my bike for about 6 months after his death. Then one day I got to thinking. If he had been killed in a car wreck, would I have quit driving? Got back on the bike that day and started riding again as he would have wanted me to.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

It happens man and sometimes there is no real reason , that thing that has the focal point in your life all of a sudden looks very different . Park it walk do life and family things for a while , it won't feel neglected and sneak off getting ridden by someone else like a wife or girlfriend will . Things change take up where left off if not well then should no doubts in your mind about it .

I'm as hardcore bike freak as you can find 40 years now and the bike was my life everything I did or was involved it including my family . Spun the output shaft out of my flywheels one day life was busy so I didn't jump right in as usual , lots of foot dragging and just avoiding it . That lasted 2 yrs and to this day I cannot tell you why I did that , I think the joy just went out of everything and life happened . Suspect your feeling the same thing but don't know why .