General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Risk Reward

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 AM
rwrunski
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't say much more than whats already been said, You gotta do your own thing don't worry about what others think you should do or not. To each his own. However If I were that worried I would just park the bike and maybe take it for an occasional sunday stroll. Myself I never let it bother me and my kids will never forget the rides they had with their dad when they were young, now they both ride on their own and that was one of the best gifts I could give them, the freedom of the ride and the wind!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a dirt bike. Have fun with your kids. Your gut will tell you when it is time for another street bike, just like it's telling you to hang it up now?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LilRaRa
I KNOW other people have felt this way before and I'm wondering their thought process that made them more comfortable with THE DECISION to ride with young children at home.
My answer: Life insurance and AD&D and some disability insurance. Get a 15-20 year term policy for $1-2MM and some AD&D for another $500k and your family has enough cash to get through. Just remember it costs $100-150k to put a kid through college. and will probably cost $150-200k by the time your kids grow up so get plenty of insurance. If I get wacked riding the bike my wife has enough cash to go for about 8 years and get all the kids through college.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Get a dirt bike. Have fun with your kids. Your gut will tell you when it is time for another street bike, just like it's telling you to hang it up now?
My neighbor bought his son a 100cc dirt bike, then fell off it in his driveway with no helmet and fractured his skull and nearly died.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
My answer: Life insurance and AD&D and some disability insurance. Get a 15-20 year term policy for $1-2MM and some AD&D for another $500k and your family has enough cash to get through. Just remember it costs $100-150k to put a kid through college. and will probably cost $150-200k by the time your kids grow up so get plenty of insurance. If I get wacked riding the bike my wife has enough cash to go for about 8 years and get all the kids through college.
Funny story here: while shopping for life insurance when I was still married, a salesman asks me: "I know you want your family to be covered, but how comfortable do you want your wife's new husband to be?"....

Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep in mind that your wife and kids will also be paid from your social security if you die. Still, get as much insurance as you can comfortably afford.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been riding motorcycles for many years. The only reason I ride is because I enjoy it.
It certainly wouldn't be as enjoyable if I had second thoughts on my safety because of how it would effect my family. The first thing I would do is get rid of the motorcycle. In the future you may think differently and then you can buy another bike.
Good luck,
Tom

Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd have to be pretty full of myself to think that my family can't make it in this life without me. Sure, they'd probably miss me for awhile, but like everything else bad that happens in life, they'd get over it eventually and move on. Hell, with life ins. I'm probably worth more dead than alive anyway - especially with this Harley obsession. If I get hit by a cage, it'll probably be my wife behind the wheel..."oops"...

Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My neighbor bought his son a 100cc dirt bike, then fell off it in his driveway with no helmet and fractured his skull and nearly died.

And the moral to that story is......... ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I get a weird/bad feeling every time I get on the Super slab when a bunch of Semi's are around me in my cager.

Ur not the first nor will U be the last to write a threat asking this.

Only U can figure out what U need to do.

If U choose to keep riding then I'd suggest to make Ur-self as visible as possible.
Ride as safe as U can. Learn to be the best Defensive rider U can be.

I stay away from high traffic areas as much as possible. Hate big cities and super slabs.
Always prepare for the worst at all times by watching intersections and side roads 100%. and slow down when needed.

Speed, people turning left in front of me and road conditions have my full respect.

Quick Reply: Risk Reward