General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Risk Reward

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 02:40 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:42 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but anyone who says they are afraid/apprehensive about getting into an accident......
WTF? Every time you get out of bed in the morning you are at risk of being involved in an accident. Slip in the tub, fall off the porch, some azzhat broadsides you when you pull out of the driveway in your cage, the transit bus driver could have a heart attack and go into the opposite lane, the plane you take to go on a vacation may come down sooner than is expected, your boat could spring a leak.........it just goes on&on&on&on
Park your bike and stay in bed...but then again, maybe a tree will fall on your house and a branch poke through the roof and spear you through the chest.
Quit being paranoid and ride. And keep your eyes open. Safe riding practices are what keep you alive.

Read my signature line.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-03-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM
LilRaRa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but anyone who says they are afraid/apprehensive about getting into an accident......
WTF? Every time you get out of bed in the morning you are at risk of being involved in an accident. Slip in the tub, fall off the porch, some azzhat broadsides you when you pull out of the driveway in your cage, the transit bus driver could have a heart attack and go into the opposite lane, the plane you take to go on a vacation may come down sooner than is expected, your boat could spring a leak.........it just goes on&on&on&on
Park your bike and stay in bed...but then again, maybe a tree will fall on your house and a branch poke through the roof and spear you through the chest.
Quit being paranoid and ride. And keep your eyes open. Safe riding practices are what keep you alive.

Read my signature line.
Until recently, I've always agreed with everything you're saying. ... People get shot walking around downtown. An old friend of mine died of an annurism after having his teeth pulled. Elvis died taking a $#!t. I can't control what happens to me while lying in bed. I have to take baths. If I want a job I have to drive a car. I just worry about my kids being without their father because I CHOSE to ride a bike. Again. Not scared of the ride. Not scared of what happens to me. Just dealing with the guilt of putting my kids through something like that because of a CHOICE I made. Is what's getting to me.

I fully believe I'm a safe responsible rider, which is why I'm not so worried about my riding skills. Not that I can't make mistakes, but I'm MUCH more worried about the dbag 21 year old drunk and on the phone... I know it can happen in a car, but chances of surviving that situation on a bike are much lower than in a car. Unless fate exists. Trust me, if I knew there was a devine plan and timeline laid out for me, I'd be drinkin, smokin, riding like a bat outta hell with no apologies, but wouldn't we all?

Old 10-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Sell it. Like Zig Zag 2010 said motorcycles aren't for everyone.
With that crap going on in your head, you'll be a danger to others on the road besides yourself.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,700 Likes on 791 Posts

Isaiah 40:31 - "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

"Eagles" + "Mount up" = God wants you to ride.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:20 PM
LilRaRa
Intermediate

kinda hard to read my posts and say motorcycles aren't for everyone, dont ya think? I'm not some poser that bought a bike not knowing better and having regrets.

I've rolled fourwheelers, flipped dirtbikes, laid down sport bikes and have ALWAYS gotten right back on without a second thought. Motorcycles are for me. Always have been. Always will be.

The most prevalent emotion in question is not fear, but guilt. I feel selfish and irresponsible putting my life at risk with people that depend on me and wait for me to come home every day. Whether it's recreational, lifestyle, whatever. The point is that it's not a necessity in life and dangerous on top of that.

I KNOW other people have felt this way before and I'm wondering their thought process that made them more comfortable with THE DECISION to ride with young children at home. When I'm on my bike I don't have a worry in the world other than paying close attention to what I'm doing and driving defensively, but I don't tend to think about this crap when I'm riding and it does NOT affect my riding.

If you're a father of young children and you've NEVER thought or worried about your kids growing up without you, then we're on two completely different wavelengths and you won't understand. If you don't have kids, then you won't understand... I know I didn't know anything about this feeling before my first son was born. I didn't give a crap when I was on my crotch rocket. I spent a lot of time on ONE wheel or the other, racing, sparking pegs, etc.... but things are different now. Not different as in motorcycles are not for me, but different in that I have other people that need me to come home.

Last edited by LilRaRa; 10-17-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I've had bikes since I've been in high school. I had bikes before my two sons were born and after and while they grew up.

I didn't worry about things I couldn't change.

As arcticharleyman said, when it's your time you aren't hiding from it no matter how safe you think you are.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM
cam-921
Cruiser

You have to make your choice, no one else. As many have said you can bite it any day. One way to be born, a million ways to die. All you can do is hope that if something does happen to you their mother and family will take care of them and continue to raise them right.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Get an enduro and stay off the street if it bothers you - you'll still be riding.

Quick Reply: Risk Reward