General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI Harley employees letter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FYI Harley employees letter

Well,

for what it's worth, somebody is sticking up for the company.....................

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 11-23-06

HARLEY-DAVIDSON
It's good for company to look to its future
As a Harley-Davidson employee since 1981, I felt compelled to respond to Fred Boggio's Nov. 18 letter, "Union workers deserved better."

I witnessed the 1982 layoffs and watched more than 40% of my co-workers lose their jobs. I worked through a pay cut and pay freeze and watched as Harley dug itself out of a very big financial hole, then rise back up to become a hugely successful company that everyone wanted to work for. Once back on its feet, Harley offered laid-off employees a job and gave employees back 11% of the 9% pay cut they took.

I was saddened by comments during the union vote, such as: Harley lies; the company doesn't care about its workers. In my experience, this is far from the truth. I am glad the company is paying attention to our future while making a profit. I don't want to climb back into that financial hole and hope we can dig ourselves out.

Remember, the union starting wage is approximately $27 per hour, while the average factory job is $14 per hour. I feel all Harley employees make a good wage with good benefits and are treated very fairly. I'm sad the union feels mistreated; I have never felt that way once in 25 years at Harley.

Vicki Adams
Colgate

Old 11-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FYI Harley employees letter

Starting wage is $27 an hour??!??!! I'd say they're being treated extremely fairly. It took me 4 years and a college degree to make that kind of money where i'm at now.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:02 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of ungrateful people out there who feel they should be given much more than what they actually work for.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for posting that , was imformative