General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Knees - Gotta Leave Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:00 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

At 5'7" you had better try and sit on either of the two BMW's. 5'9" folks can barely make it with their tippy toes.

Take a Vrod for a test ride. It may work for you.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-16-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 PM
stircrazy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had surgery on both my knees and they get sore all the time, but not from the bike. one thing is you want to be able to have both feet flat on the ground. seeing as it was your right knee I dont see the issue here. its the left that you use to stand the bike up and down.

now you have to remeber that a different bike that is say 200 lbs lighter is only going to have an effective difference on your knee of about 20 lbs.

I don't notice any difference in standing my 2006 egc up than I did when I would stand my old Honda shadow up. your only pivioting a limited amount of lean your not picking up the bike off the ground so only a very small portion of that weight is actualy comming into effect.

the only time I put both feet down is when I have a pasenger and then my right just goes down to stabalize after I have come to a full stop.

I say give it an hones try befor you sell and remember its only been a couple months.. mine we 6 to 8 months befor I could walk with out pain and I still have a limp but its in both legs so I almost look normal

Steve

Old 10-16-2011, 07:17 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer

Do I leave HD and get like a BMW R1200RT or K1200S? or what???

Or what.

I have a trike kit on order myself for my Road King.

Something like this:

Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
At 5'7" you had better try and sit on either of the two BMW's. 5'9" folks can barely make it with their tippy toes.

Take a Vrod for a test ride. It may work for you.
My son just bought a 2004 BMW K1200GT with only 4000 miles on it. I'm 5'7" and can comfortably flat foot it on the BMW. Not saying I'd buy one, but it is a really nice bike, with cruise control and ABS.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Donbert
Intermediate

I had 90% of the cartilage removed from my right knee 26 years ago, and was told that I'd have to have knee surgery within 3 years... never had the surgery, and I ride an Ultra.

As posted before, if you park with the wheel pointed straight ahead, you should have no problems.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:16 PM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a '12 Deluxe and its my most comfortable bike...I'm 5'8". Maybe try a Royal Enfield, they are light weight.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Try a Lowrider or a Deluxe. Both have low seat height. OR check with your dealer about lowering your current bike.

BTW, I have one totally blown out knee and the Lowrider was easy to flat foot for me.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 10-16-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Dynomutt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'7" and have distinct knee issues from years of distance running. The weight difference between a touring bike and a dyna is significant. Just as the difference between having your feet slightly forward on floorboards is significantly different than kicking them out on forwards or highway pegs. The lowrider with forwards works wonders for me. Try a few bikes out and I bet that you'll find an H-D that works for you.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Like others have said, regardless of what the doctors say, you're the one who needs to make the decision of what and what not to do. Once healed, see how you feel and make your own decision then.

I was having upper back/shoulder problems that bothered me for a couple years. After a 6,000 mile road trip in 2010 on my Duece it bothered me so bad I decided to have the doc check it out. Long story short - if I listened to the doctors advice I'd be sitting in my recliner watching tv all day long. Just about every physical activity I enjoy, including long road trips, were on the docs list of things I shouldn't be doing.

And I did a 9,000 mile road trip this summer

Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,308 Likes on 2,559 Posts

FBI has a drop seat frame bolt on that lowers you 3 inches or so. closest feeling to a softail there is. You could get a Deluxe and put air ride on it also for the clearance problem and ride.Air ride ona softy beats the hell out of any touring bike I've ever rode. I'm 58 and just had my left knee taken care of. A little sore but after 11 weeks it's the only joint in my body that doesn't hurt. Give it time and study all options. It sounds like you're like most on here.Stuck forever on a Harley.

Quick Reply: Bad Knees - Gotta Leave Harley?