Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close Calls?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:02 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Close Calls?

While riding, how many close calls have you had with another vehicle? I mean really close. The ones you avoided by inches or fractions of a second, not 50 or 100 feet or 2 or 3 seconds. We’ve all had the latter and I don’t consider these “close” calls.

The reason I ask is because of the many threads I read from time-to-time on this topic. You know the ones I'm talking of. Something like this... “All of the Idiots on the Road”, "F'ng A-hole", "Stupid Cager", that nearly ran into me, cut me off, changed lanes into mine, turned in front of me, etc., etc., etc.

Just read another thread of this nature yesterday and that prompted me to ask.

In many of those threads it seems that the majority of respondents jump on the band wagon, pacify the OP, and ramble on about all their close calls. Many go on to say that they ride in locations that have the ‘worst drivers in the world’ and have several close calls almost daily. Really?

If you have that many “close” calls I’d have to say you probably shouldn’t be riding a bike. You don’t have the situational awareness required to keep yourself safe on a bike.

When I read the "close" call descriptions my first thought is typically, “you mean to tell me you didn’t see that situation developing and you didn’t react accordingly to prevent it from becoming a “close” call? Do you think your own inattention or lack of situatuinal awareness may be a contributing factor"?

I've had a handful of close calls over the years, but very rarely. Even the so-called “close” calls of a few seconds margin mentioned above are not all that common, but do occur occasionally, and these are the ones that if you are paying attention to your riding environment and conditions you should easily avoid – therefore no “close” call.

I do understand that some situations just can’t be avoided. Accidents and “close” calls will occur, but if they are occurring as regularly as some would want you to believe, I think those folks need to do some serious self-assessment of their riding abilities - from both the physical skill and the mental aspect perspectives.

Either that, or reassess their definition of what is a "close" call, and what is just a normal occurrence and simply the nature of riding.

Let’s hear your opinions!

Last edited by 2black1s; 10-16-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Almost anyone who rides enough miles will have some real death deifying close calls.
Bad weather, wildlife, inattentive cagers, flatsn not to mention just plain bad luck ect...
Unless you have some major good luck sooner or later it will happen to you.
I have clipped a car that I did not see stop in front of me. I have had traffic slam on it breaks in the middle of pouring rain storm. Both of these were 1 inch away from mayhem... I was amazingly lucky both times...

Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 844 Posts

I agree with where you're going with this. I've had two truly close ones in the last 27 years. Both guys in full size pickups. One was a guy in a Harley Davidson edition F-150. He pulled out from the right. I was in the right lane. I was able to narrowly miss him around the back of his truck by going off the road, but the car next to me in the left lane smashed into him.

Number two was a guy in an F-250 that was behind me. We were stopped in a long line for a red light. Once the traffic started moving, I noticed in my mirror that he just sat there. When I got to the middle of the intersection, all the traffic stopped suddenly. I looked down in my mirror, and sure as hell, here he comes, FAST. I was able to gun it to the left into the oncoming left turn lane. He barreled into the Dodge minivan that had been in front of me so hard that he totaled it. I would have been in between those two if I hadn't have looked in my mirror and reacted immediately. The "kids" at work said they were sure he was texting. (both were Fords, hmmm)

As far as the worst drivers ever, when I moved here to Albuquerque from Chicago back in the '80's, I kept the same insurance company and my insurance went up a lot. I asked my agent and she said it was because the drivers were so bad here.

Crazy

Last edited by Crazy; 10-16-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past 42 years of riding I have had my share of close calls. Over those years I have only had 3 really close calls. There were times in my life I rode recklessly on purpose and times that the reckless riding was of my fault (neglecting to be aware of my surroundings). I have since learned to be aware of my surroundings (reading the sign), as it were.

I believe age, and the realization that I am not invincible has slowed me down when it comes to riding bike on public thoroughfares.

I ride today as I am invisible, they do not see me, so I ride accordingly.

In the back of my mind I know they are really out to get me ~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to answer your question the best I can;

I would have to say close calls are determined by the person who feels they just had one.

It is like the emotion of Fear, there are different levels of fear and as many variations of that fear as there are people.

Bottom line; it is real, to the person that feels it.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:42 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Almost anyone who rides enough miles will have some real death deifying close calls.
Bad weather, wildlife, inattentive cagers, flatsn not to mention just plain bad luck ect...
Unless you have some major good luck sooner or later it will happen to you.
I have clipped a car that I did not see stop in front of me. I have had traffic slam on it breaks in the middle of pouring rain storm. Both of these were 1 inch away from mayhem... I was amazingly lucky both times...
I agree with you except for the "sooner or later" part. I just don't buy into that line of thinking. It may happen, but I don't buy the "it is going to happen" mentality.

As far as the wildlife, flat tires, bad luck you mention - those are all real hazards and can result in some close calls, but my questions are directed more specifically at close calls with another vehicle, especially the ones where it's always the other guys fault.

Last edited by 2black1s; 10-16-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the vast majority of us, the most amount of time we have to react to any situation is 14 seconds. That is the furthest that most of us can see while we are driving, and it's what happens in that time block that we must be ready to react to. Try this, pick an object that is as far away from you that you can see (utility pole, street light, fire hydrant, traffic light ) as you start riding / driving towards it count one thousand one, one thousand two.... Unless you are driving through the desert, you will be hard pressed to make it past 14 seconds. The trick to staying safe is a constant eye movement from mirrors, front, side, gauges. Be aware of your surroundings. The only safe assumption is that they are all out to get you.
Stay safe!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/db170

My close call came from a guy turning left into this driveway. You can see my skid mark.

The guy didn't sgnal or give me any indication that he was going to make a left turn in front of me.

As best as I can recall, I locked the brakes (no ABS) and started to go over, then pumped the brake and straightened out. I was probably going 50 mph at the time.

The guy was extremely apologetic and said, of course, that he didn't see me.

At the time, I had a single headlight and no modulator. I got a modulater immediately thereafter and never had another similar incident.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

Riding since 1956. I truly have never had a close call. I spotted the potential and avoided it. Defensive driving works 24/7.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crazy
I agree with where you're going with this. I've had two truly close ones in the last 27 years. Both guys in full size pickups. One was a guy in a Harley Davidson edition F-150. He pulled out from the right. I was in the right lane. I was able to narrowly miss him around the back of his truck by going off the road, but the car next to me in the left lane smashed into him.

Number two was a guy in an F-250 that was behind me. We were stopped in a long line for a red light. Once the traffic started moving, I noticed in my mirror that he just sat there. When I got to the middle of the intersection, all the traffic stopped suddenly. I looked down in my mirror, and sure as hell, here he comes, FAST. I was able to gun it to the left into the oncoming left turn lane. He barreled into the Dodge minivan that had been in front of me so hard that he totaled it. I would have been in between those two if I hadn't have looked in my mirror and reacted immediately. The "kids" at work said they were sure he was texting. (both were Fords, hmmm)

As far as the worst drivers ever, when I moved here to Albuquerque from Chicago back in the '80's, I kept the same insurance company and my insurance went up a lot. I asked my agent and she said it was because the drivers were so bad here.

Crazy
Your response exemplifies one of the points I was trying to convey. How many people out there riding have their head in the game?

Your post makes it very clear that your head was in the right place during the two close calls you described, as it always needs to be!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I haven't had any real close calls, but I think it partly depends on the complexity of your driving environment. I avoid areas that are out of control, like Chicago interstates or NYC and suburbs, or retirement areas in Florida.

When I drive a car in those areas I always think bikers are at risk there just because you can't avoid all the hazards happening at the same time, you can only avoid highest risks.

I would never tempt the fates by posting how bullet proof my skills are.

Quick Reply: Close Calls?