General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No, it's not another oil thread. But...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default No, it's not another oil thread. But...

it does concern oil. Another thread got me to thinking about maintenance schedules.

I know most of you change your oil every 2,500-3,000 miles regardless what oil you use.

HD however has service intervals at 1,000, 5,000, and then every 5,000 miles after that.

When I had my 1,000 mile service performed, I asked the adviser how much it would be to use synthetic. It was only about 15 bucks more and she said I could go 5,000 miles between oil changes.

So do they expect you to change your oil at the halfway marks between service intervals if you run dino???

Also, how many would follow the factory's service interval whether you're running synthetic or not? And why not?? Especially if you're like me where almost all of your miles are on the highway (My oil changes in my truck were every 7,500 miles because of this, and had 134,000 trouble free miles when I got rid of it).

Looking for real answers here. Not just what you've always done because that is what your dad and grandpa did. Mine were the same way.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to maintain a 3000 mile oil change interval synthetic is a waste of money for you

Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

It has already been proven time and again that the 3000 mile oil change is hype. It was something drilled into our heads long ago and whether it had merit back then or not doesn't matter today. I run Synthetic in all of my vehicles, and that includes my lawn tractor. I change my oil at 5k in my car and at or before 3k in my bike. I know the oil can go much further without compromising the motors and as said, that is a proven fact time and time again. I live on dirt and ride miles of dirt road every day. Changing my oil at the intervals I do may be a waste of money, but it makes me feel better! I know many that follow their maintenance schedules in their owners manuals to a T, and they get as many trouble free miles from their vehicles as I do.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
If you are going to maintain a 3000 mile oil change interval synthetic is a waste of money for you
Not necessarily. Synthetic does not break down as easily with the heat. It will offer more protection at higher heat intervals for longer periods. Is changing at 3k a waste of money....Let's just say that there is still an awful lot of life left in a quality 3k synthetic in most all cases.

Last edited by Rickr01; 10-16-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I used to change oil at 2500 miles when I used dino oil. Now, with the Syn3, I go 5,000 every time. No oil related problems to report with the last my Ultras!

Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm doing oil changes (all three 'holes') once a year including new spark plugs regardless of mileage, with the exception If I put more than 5k (on the engine oil) then I consider twice a year. I live in Arizona where air cooled engines oils takes a beating. I'm less concerned about wasting oil and the synthetic/dino discussion when a $23k motorcycle is in the equation. If I were discussing a metric or water cooled brand of motorcycle then it might be different. For $40 engine, & $25 trans/primary (current full change cost) it's my prerogative. My routine.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Harley was using 5,000 mile oil change intervals long before they came out with synthetic. I really don't see a problem with that even using dino. The current dino oils are way better than what we used to have, and therefore the longer intervals. Of course, if you are doing something unusual, like riding alot on dirt, or very hot weather with stop and go riding, it would be better to change more often. The other thing might be short rides in the winter time.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I change my oil to remove the carbon, sulfer and other contaminants that build up in the oil. Same reason I change it before storage rather than in the spring.
I run syn in the engine, Formula+ for trans and primary. I change at 2500 miles. Anyone want to buy my used oil? Lets say Syn for $3/qt and $1/qt Formula+ and I'll throw in the used filter and o-ring for free.
Fresh clean oil doesn't hurt anything.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 521 Posts

I change my oil, (Amsoil 20/50), and clean my filter at 5K. I clean and inspect my reusable filter at 2500, where I also send a oil sample off to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I also send a sample of the 5K oil off to them as well. I have them do a TBN, which tells you how much of the additive package is left, and without exception, they have said I could even exceed 5K if I so desired, but I'll stick to a 5K oil change.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:38 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I change my oil per manufacturers recommendation on my motorcyle. I don't feel they could give a recommendation that would be harmful to your engine. We all want what's best for our motors but sometimes maybe it's overkill. It's hard to know what's overkill unless you try otherwise. In my cars I change the oil every 7,000 - 10,000 miles with the cheapest oil Walmart sells and do not ever change the oil filter. To some this will some ignorant but after over 100,000 miles on a few cars they burn very little to no oil. So what would I have gained from changing the oil more often or changing the oil filter?

Quick Reply: No, it's not another oil thread. But...