General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different waves and what they mean

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006 | 01:53 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Different waves and what they mean

I still try the ol left fist in the airwave,,,,, it aint comin back,,,,,
the "Cool" thing is the 2 finger by left knee,,,,,, '
which I dont do,,,cause it aint cool

so chuck,,, lets bring back the original tradition
youll know its me,,, fist or peace sign,, flyin high

Old 12-01-2006 | 02:06 PM
Bug
Road Master

Personally, I weave at everyone. I see another bike coming at me in the other lane, I weave at it. I see a car, I weave at it. Occassionally, I am so sober that I'll be scared to weave at a semi-truck, but usually I'm either drunk or stoned enough that I don't care, so I weave at them too.

I admit, when I first heard that it was a tradition for motorcyclists to weave at each other, I thought it was kind of nuts. I was a new rider and weaving at all was kind of a challenge. But I wanted to be a good biker, so I did it. Sure, I laid the bike down a few times at first, but I got the hang of it. Then, after doing it successfully a few times and seeing the looks on the other riders faces -- well you can tell they are impressed and it really is a blast!

At first, they sometimes look like they aren't going to weave too, but don't go thinking they're being unfriendly. I've learned that what they are really doing is seeing how good you are at this weaving thing. If they don't weave, you show them you know what you're doing and keep weaving right at them. If you do it right, they will always weave too, sometimes right at the last second.

After I found out how much fun it was, I couldn't resist spreading the practice to cars, trucks, bicycles and even pedestrians. People love it! They beep their horns, they yell, they give you all kinds of waves. Sometimes they even turn around and follow you for awhile, which is when you show 'em what you've got and lose 'em. Then turn off on a side street and wait for 'em. When they catch up, pull out and weave at 'em again. They'll beep and wave with just as much excitement as they did the first time!

Obviously, it's a matter of personal preference. But I highly recommend weaving at least at other bikes, if not at everyone you see. I promise if you do this you'll meet new people and be the talk of your neighborhood in no time.

Old 12-01-2006 | 02:19 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

Rick;

I already give every motorcycle I see a BIG HIGH UP WAVE, when I'm on
my Harley other motorcyclests/bikers sometimes have no idea what to do
back because I didn't point at the ground like the other so called "COOL"
Harley riders do.... LOL"

We could do your idea and call it the OLD FART BIKER WAVE"

Old 12-01-2006 | 02:24 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Bug

Personally, I weave at everyone. I see another bike coming at me in the other lane, I weave at it. I see a car, I weave at it. Occassionally, I am so sober that I'll be scared to weave at a semi-truck, but usually I'm either drunk or stoned enough that I don't care, so I weave at them too.

I admit, when I first heard that it was a tradition for motorcyclists to weave at each other, I thought it was kind of nuts. I was a new rider and weaving at all was kind of a challenge. But I wanted to be a good biker, so I did it. Sure, I laid the bike down a few times at first, but I got the hang of it. Then, after doing it successfully a few times and seeing the looks on the other riders faces -- well you can tell they are impressed and it really is a blast!

At first, they sometimes look like they aren't going to weave too, but don't go thinking they're being unfriendly. I've learned that what they are really doing is seeing how good you are at this weaving thing. If they don't weave, you show them you know what you're doing and keep weaving right at them. If you do it right, they will always weave too, sometimes right at the last second.

After I found out how much fun it was, I couldn't resist spreading the practice to cars, trucks, bicycles and even pedestrians. People love it! They beep their horns, they yell, they give you all kinds of waves. Sometimes they even turn around and follow you for awhile, which is when you show 'em what you've got and lose 'em. Then turn off on a side street and wait for 'em. When they catch up, pull out and weave at 'em again. They'll beep and wave with just as much excitement as they did the first time!

Obviously, it's a matter of personal preference. But I highly recommend weaving at least at other bikes, if not at everyone you see. I promise if you do this you'll meet new people and be the talk of your neighborhood in no time.

...LOL".........LOL" Good one!! ...

Old 12-01-2006 | 03:27 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I'll be cautiously on the lookout for you if I ever ride to Texas and if I weave, it will probably be with me eyes closed tightly.

Old 12-01-2006 | 03:49 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: EasternSP

I'll be cautiously on the lookout for you if I ever ride to Texas and if I weave, it will probably be with me eyes closed tightly.

LOL"...LOL"... You two could be real dangerous on the same road! LOL"

Old 12-01-2006 | 03:52 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Hey, don't forget the tidal wave. It means "quick, hold your nose shut!"

Old 12-01-2006 | 05:21 PM
Surfit
Road Captain

A wave that resembles a wall is a close out and not a good one to take off on.
A wave that resembles an A-Frame is a peak good to take off on going left or right.
When facing the ocean from the beach a wave that is breaking from the left to the right is a right.
When facing the ocean from the beach a wave that is breaking from the right to the left is a left.
A wave that I am riding is my wave don't even think about taking off.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 12-01-2006 | 08:02 PM
Heritage.Springer
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

Rick;

I already give every motorcycle I see a BIG HIGH UP WAVE, when I'm on
my Harley other motorcyclests/bikers sometimes have no idea what to do
back because I didn't point at the ground like the other so called "COOL"
Harley riders do.... LOL"

We could do your idea and call it the OLD FART BIKER WAVE"
[sm=smiley20.gif] Well... If ya see an old grey goateed rider on an FLSTS riding around New Mexico yep ... I like it ... OLD FART BIKER WAVE.

Yep.... LoL only us cool old fools will know what it means and we can laugh at the younguns and if they ask we will all say...... If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand it..[8D][8D]

Old 12-01-2006 | 08:33 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

there is also the "cops ahead" pat your head wave

Quick Reply: Different waves and what they mean