General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobile 1 V-twin 20w50 vs Standard Mobile 1 20w50

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 PM
johnnyocc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile 1 V-twin 20w50 vs Standard Mobile 1 20w50

Moderator: Pease don't move this post it is already in the oil & lubrication section, but I felt this to be a good source of general info and interest, thanks..

I have a 2004 roadking and just changed oil with Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w50, pretty costly...For my Porsche I use Mobile 1 15w50 synthetic. for nearly half the cost of the V-twin version. I understand that the composition of the V-twin takes into account less or different lubrication specs for the wet clutch type of lubrication. My bikes primary is completely separate from the crankcase so that issue should not apply to my bike.

That being said is there any other reason why I can't use the standard Mobile 1 15w50?, which by the way also has very high tempurature breakdown resistance, if anyone was going to mention high rear cylinder temps as a reason. I tried to research with little success in evaluating the benefits of v-twin version vs standard Mobile 1 15w50. Thanks, John

Last edited by johnnyocc; 10-26-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a Porsche and live in Westchester County, you can afford the Mobil-1 V-Twin.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

I didn't know Mobil even makes a 20w-50, other than V-Twin?
FWIW I have used it when on sale but as you mentioned HD's don't benefit from wet clutch friction additives in the engine oil. So I use M1 15w-50 which is actually slipperier, less expensive, and better at start up. And at running temps they're both the same 50 weight.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

20w50 or 15w50 in your Porsche? I run the regular Mobile1 15w50 in my 07 Ultra. Don't let anyone BS you about the heat or any of that. I have 125,000 on my bike in 3 1/2 years and it is still running strong. Uses no more than 1/2 qt between changes, and that is if I run it hard. I am in Florida so it is ridden in the heat all of the time. Use it and enjoy the savings!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 PM
johnnyocc
Intermediate

Ok Guys, I am a retired cop on a fixed income but I love...my toys. I purchase Mobile 1 20w50 for my Porsche from Walmart at about $27 for the 5 quart container, great deal, I would say. The V-twin oil I just bought was $12 a quart at autozone. At the time I did not want to take chances on my bike. I even spent $20 on gear oil Mobile1 syn 75w140. So there you go, I just wanted to put it out there for those who may want to save a bit and to also be sure myself that the regular mobile syn would be OK.. By the way I sometimes wish I had the money people think I have, not that I'm showy but I like picking up projects, and when I,m done people think I spent a lot, but all the truth is in the labor of love that I put in. I put my time in, believe me so the toys and my children are what give me pleasure, God Bless you all, and Ride safe.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 PM
johnnyocc
Intermediate

Sefferdog, Damn you do some serious riding.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:03 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyocc
Ok Guys, I am a retired cop on a fixed income but I love...my toys. I purchase Mobile 1 20w50 for my Porsche from Walmart at about $27 for the 5 quart container, great deal, I would say. The V-twin oil I just bought was $12 a quart at autozone. At the time I did not want to take chances on my bike. I even spent $20 on gear oil Mobile1 syn 75w140. So there you go, I just wanted to put it out there for those who may want to save a bit and to also be sure myself that the regular mobile syn would be OK.. By the way I sometimes wish I had the money people think I have, not that I'm showy but I like picking up projects, and when I,m done people think I spent a lot, but all the truth is in the labor of love that I put in. I put my time in, believe me so the toys and my children are what give me pleasure, God Bless you all, and Ride safe.

you better look on that label for the 5 qt container from walmart. i don't believe it is 20/50. probably 15/50. however, nothing wrong with that. i've been running it in my touring bikes for over 5 years. i don't subscribe to the 'you spent $20,000 on the bike, why bitch about $10 per qt oil' argument. why spend it if i don't have to? using 15/50 in the engine is not gonna cause any weird time space continuum flux that will cause the universe to spin in reverse and turn all harleys into hondas. if you want to spend the extra on the vtwin formula, good for you, but quit preaching to us about it.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 PM
johnnyocc
Intermediate

Your right Skratch, just checked in the basement it is !5w50 I stand corrected, but I did find the best price to be at Walmart. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you better look on that label for the 5 qt container from walmart. i don't believe it is 20/50. probably 15/50. however, nothing wrong with that. i've been running it in my touring bikes for over 5 years. i don't subscribe to the 'you spent $20,000 on the bike, why bitch about $10 per qt oil' argument. why spend it if i don't have to? using 15/50 in the engine is not gonna cause any weird time space continuum flux that will cause the universe to spin in reverse and turn all harleys into hondas. if you want to spend the extra on the vtwin formula, good for you, but quit preaching to us about it.
And honestly. The 15w-50 will get to the top end quicker than the 20w-50. Our bikes don't need the very expensive JASO stamp on our oil because we don't have a shared sump. Engine and primary(where clutch is) are separate so in reality none of the shared sump rules apply to us. A quality diesel oil like rotella t6 5w-40 is a viable option simply because it holds it's viscosity at temp for longer. The 20w-50 oils shear down to a 40 weight and even down to a 30 weight within 1500-2000 miles so for the last leg of the oil change interval it may be way below spec'd viscosity. The rotella stays a 40 weight for it's entire oil change interval in our cat diesels on our forklifts and we change it out at 400 hours. If it can take 400 hours in a forklift getting beat on I trust it in my bike for 3000 miles

Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
If it can take 400 hours in a forklift getting beat on I trust it in my bike for 3000 miles

400 hours at 100 km/hr is like 40,000km between oil changes, I'd say it's pretty good oil.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 V-twin 20w50 vs Standard Mobile 1 20w50