General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobile 1 V-twin 20w50 vs Standard Mobile 1 20w50

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

They don't show the 5 quart jug online and neither does Autozone. Autozone is having a sale right now though for either a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 synth oil or 5 individual quarts and a Mobil One oil filter for $32.99. That's a pretty good deal, I can get 5 quarts of the 15W50 for the bike and then I can get the filter for my wife's car when I change the oil on it. That's about $5 a quart then $7.99 for the filter.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 10-16-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 AM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any good oil is the right stuff to use, I use redline,,if you are worried about the cost,,do what I do,, I stop in at my local redline dealer once a month and buy a quart,,,don't hurt so bad when it's time to change your oil,,,

Old 10-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Mobil 1 15W50 is available at the Advance Auto Parts near me for $8.79.
Might as well keep using the V Twin 20W50, not much difference in price.
Watch NAPA, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone... They all run it for $4.00 a qt regularly. When they do I load up.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:55 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
I've been using regular Wally world brand Dino oil for all my Harleys, changing oils at 5K miles for engine, 10K miles for primary and 20K miles for transmission. I did splurge the past year and went with Redline in the transmission to see if there's a difference, nope none, except the wallet is a bit lighter.

No problems until I bought a brand new FLTRUSE 2 weeks ago, that had the synthetic factory oil. At 950 miles the engine tossed a valve. So much for that synthetic oil hoax.

Can anyone tell me which breed of dinosaur Harley or Mobil uses for their motor oils. LOL
i would like to see the reasoning behind the use of synthetic, and the engine tossing a valve with 950 miles on it. I doubt there is any. more than likely, it was not asembled correctly, a keeper was not fully locked in place, or the valve itself was bad, broke the stem off the head or something.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselguy65
i would like to see the reasoning behind the use of synthetic, and the engine tossing a valve with 950 miles on it. I doubt there is any. more than likely, it was not asembled correctly, a keeper was not fully locked in place, or the valve itself was bad, broke the stem off the head or something.
I'm sure it's only coincidence. In the meantime I'm still waiting for my build/warranty work to be completed. Going into week 2. Hoping to get it back by the end of this week.

When inspected we did find that the exhaust valve didn't seat completely. So when the intake valve opened up it didn't have the clearance to do so without hitting the exhaust valve. The intake valve sheared off, taking out the electrode in the spark plug. Then rattled around the cylinder chewing up the piston's face.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by seph10
Any good oil is the right stuff to use, I use redline,,if you are worried about the cost,,do what I do,, I stop in at my local redline dealer once a month and buy a quart,,,don't hurt so bad when it's time to change your oil,,,
yeah, that wouldn't work for me. i cant go 3-1/2 months between oil changes. good idea though just have to change it to every payday

Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
...When inspected we did find that the exhaust valve didn't seat completely. So when the intake valve opened up it didn't have the clearance to do so without hitting the exhaust valve. The intake valve sheared off, taking out the electrode in the spark plug. Then rattled around the cylinder chewing up the piston's face.
Yep, no doubt about it, that damn junk factory Harley Synthetic oil did it. It happens all the time.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
dcobra23
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyocc
Moderator: Pease don't move this post it is already in the oil & lubrication section, but I felt this to be a good source of general info and interest, thanks..

I have a 2004 roadking and just changed oil with Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w50, pretty costly...For my Porsche I use Mobile 1 20w50 synthetic. for nearly half the cost of the V-twin version. I understand that the composition of the V-twin takes into account less or different lubrication specs for the wet clutch type of lubrication. My bikes primary is completely separate from the crankcase so that issue should not apply to my bike.

That being said is there any other reason why I can't use the standard Mobile 1 20w50?, which by the way also has very high tempurature breakdown resistance, if anyone was going to mention high rear cylinder temps as a reason. I tried to research with little success in evaluating the benefits of v-twin version vs standard Mobile 1 20w50. Thanks, John
Screw the Mobil 1 use amsoil made in USA

Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by dcobra23
Screw the Mobil 1 use amsoil made in USA
And just where do you think Mobil-1 is made?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:20 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,319 Likes on 1,446 Posts

I believe motorcycle-specific oils have a higher content of corrosion inhibitors and they're formulated for air cooled engines. The corrosion inhibitors can be important if the bike is parked or stored in an area that has condensation. Mobile does not recommend hypoid gear oil for Harley transmissions.

Last edited by RK4ME; 10-16-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 V-twin 20w50 vs Standard Mobile 1 20w50