General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gah!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011 | 03:05 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

Mine sees some pretty hash weather, same as my trucks, but I make damn sure to wash them good with some good wash and dry them really good as well. Haven't had a problem yet, and I ride year round (between snows in the winter)

Old 10-13-2011 | 04:07 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member

It's not a snow mobile. Park it inside.

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:03 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I've always parked my bikes in an unheated garage in winter. I have never had a problem with corrosion, or rust, but have never put a cover on them. My Sportster sat in the garage like that for 23 years in the winter, and looked like new when I sold it. Temps varied between -10 to 100+. Whether outside or inside, I think covers do more harm than good. Harley's chrome and paint is the best in the industry. I use to take Mothers aluminum polish to the rocker covers and cases on my Sportster about every 2 years, and they looked better than chrome. I love my 99 FXSTC, but I kind of miss the old Sporty.

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:06 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Rust will occur when bare metal meets moisture and air. Remove one out of the equation, and you will be rust free. Since air will always have oxygen and some humidity, and since the bike will not be 100% sealed up (frame scrapes, bolt threads, etc.) it will rust.

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:25 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master

I ride year round too.. not as much in the winter as in the summer obviously but, unless there's snow, ice or a large accumulation of salt and cinders.. I do ride when I can. Our motors sleep in the garage, I have a heated garage, and I keep it set around 50 during the winter, the bikes are on tenders when not being ridden, and they get washed and dried fairly often to try and keep the effects of road salt and stuff to a minimum.. Some one who's opinion I trust once said.. if you store them warm.. when your not riding.. keep them warm.. if you store them cold.. same deal, when your not riding let them stay cold. So I try to do that. And right or wrong, I also go with the.. if you do ride during winter, go for at least 20 to 25 minutes and make sure to get everything up to temp to burn off moisture and condensation in the fluids and motor.. The dresser has 3/4 plywood under it's tires, the other two are parked on concrete. As for winter prep.. I do fluid changes, and a through cleaning before they get "parked". Like others have mentioned.. if you ride all year long, small amounts of rust are inevitable.. just pay attention and take care it.. not a big deal.. Come spring.. and depending on how often we've been able to ride.. fresh fluids, another very through wash and wax, and back at for another year..

Cheers

mavrick

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:31 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master

I ride year round too.. not as much in the winter as in the summer obviously but, unless there's snow, ice or a large accumulation of salt and cinders.. I do ride when I can. Our motors sleep in the garage, I have a heated garage, and I keep it set around 50 during the winter, the bikes are on tenders when not being ridden, and they get washed and dried fairly often to try and keep the effects of road salt and stuff to a minimum.. Some one who's opinion I trust once said.. if you store them warm.. when your not riding.. keep them warm.. if you store them cold.. same deal, when your not riding let them stay cold. So I try to do that. And right or wrong, I also go with the.. if you do ride during winter, go for at least 20 to 25 minutes and make sure to get everything up to temp to burn off moisture and condensation in the fluids and motor.. The dresser has 3/4 plywood under it's tires, the other two are parked on concrete. As for winter prep.. I do fluid changes, and a through cleaning before they get "parked". Like others have mentioned.. if you ride all year long, small amounts of rust are inevitable.. just pay attention and take care it.. not a big deal.. Come spring.. and depending on how often we've been able to ride.. fresh fluids, another very through wash and wax, and back at for another year..

Cheers

mavrick

Old 10-13-2011 | 06:46 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I actually park mine in an unheated garage with a fan on them when the humidity is changing fast to keep moisture off of them. They also are parked on plywood and not concrete. Uncovered so they can breath kept clean and waxed. That keeps the moisture out from under them and off of the the tins/chrome. I have parked them inside but it is not necessary with our short cool winters. If I needed to the bikes would be in the house.
I am biker trash.
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
I've always parked my bikes in an unheated garage in winter. I have never had a problem with corrosion, or rust, but have never put a cover on them. My Sportster sat in the garage like that for 23 years in the winter, and looked like new when I sold it. Temps varied between -10 to 100+. Whether outside or inside, I think covers do more harm than good. Harley's chrome and paint is the best in the industry. I use to take Mothers aluminum polish to the rocker covers and cases on my Sportster about every 2 years, and they looked better than chrome. I love my 99 FXSTC, but I kind of miss the old Sporty.

Last edited by oldairboater; 10-13-2011 at 06:48 PM.