General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New River Gorge - WV Bridge Day 2011

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New River Gorge - WV Bridge Day 2011

Just wondering how many of you guys are gonna be riding to Fayetteville, WV this upcoming saturday for Bridge Day 2011? Supposed to be sunshine with highs in the mid 60's and clear as can be. I went up that way this past weekend on a camping trip and the foliage is in full turn up in the mountains so it should be a beautiful ride. Might head out the scenic highway past summersville if time permits also.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm considering it!

My grandparents live 2 miles from the bridge. Grandfather had knee replacement surgery a couple months ago and grandmother fell and broke her arm last week. I really need to visit them.

Anyways, it's a cool event. The only legal and largest BASE jumping event in the world. Beautiful area as well.

If you have the time, and the *****, squeeze in an Upper Gauley white water rafting trip.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never been on the Gauley but I've rafted the Lower New a few times. I've always been told it's a whole new ballgame in comparison to the New. Also been told it makes the Lower New look like a beginner course, haha.

It's a beautiful ride that's for sure. We will be coming from Huntington and taking rt 60 and then 16 thru the mountains to Fayetteville. After theat we're gonna head out 39 from Summersville and loop around to the highland scenic highway 150 back around to 55 back to summersville. Should get some AMAZING views. We're expecting a group of 15 or more riders to head up with us. I'll have a camera with me so I'll post some pics of the trip when I get back.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

My friend were planning a trip, but it doesn't look like they're going now. Unfortunately, I'm in the Eastern part of WV so that would be a pretty long haul for one day.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:32 PM
jwright302
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a pretty good route, once you hit rt16 in Gauley Bridge theres a cool little water fall a few miles down the road on the left (if youve not been there, its a cool stop ). That route 150 is the only one you listed that i havent been on yet, which is a shame cause i know its going to be AWESOME. haha. Good Luck and have fun.

Originally Posted by Sonicgazi
Never been on the Gauley but I've rafted the Lower New a few times. I've always been told it's a whole new ballgame in comparison to the New. Also been told it makes the Lower New look like a beginner course, haha.

It's a beautiful ride that's for sure. We will be coming from Huntington and taking rt 60 and then 16 thru the mountains to Fayetteville. After theat we're gonna head out 39 from Summersville and loop around to the highland scenic highway 150 back around to 55 back to summersville. Should get some AMAZING views. We're expecting a group of 15 or more riders to head up with us. I'll have a camera with me so I'll post some pics of the trip when I get back.

Attached Thumbnails New River Gorge - WV Bridge Day 2011-img_2128.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 385 Likes on 219 Posts

I may ride down since I'm off and the weather may be decent. We went to the 2nd bridge day, must of been 15 years ago though.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:43 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been to about 20 Bridge Days (it began in the early 80s) because I'm a BASE jumper.

Always thought it nice riding country too but being from the west coast I always fly there. Bummed I couldn't make it this year.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonicgazi
Forecasting mid 50's now for Bridge Day in Fayetteville. Looking at mid to low 40's for the high on the scenic highway. Leaves may not be all that great at that elevation as they had 6-10" of snow couple of weekends ago. Might want to reroute to some lower elevations.