General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 40 Years of Riding - I hit the deck yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

over60, still gonna ride till I cant ...but I do appreciate the reminder of paying attention and I'm not invinceable.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

glad your okay.funny how now you have a reason to keep on riding."dont want to end on this note".admit to yourself(40 yrs of riding),it's in your blood.somethings in life are just hard to give up.again glad you are okay.keep on riding man!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Crownman250
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know many think you're a poser or a rub or just a gay pirate for getting all dressed up in leather to get on your bike. I've read a couple of posts in here lately about "until some one can give a clear reason why wearing leather is necessary....blah blah blah".

I'll just say this, until you hit the ground once, you probably won't get it. You call me all the names in the book if it makes you feel better, but I'm gonna keep wearing my leathers...still got skin on me because of them.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM
keyskruiser
Cruiser
Cool

Great analysis and explanation of your unfortunate experience. I am 67 and have been riding since I was 14. Twice in that time, I have hit the pavement. Both times, the other people causing the accident, recieved failure to yield tickets. Both times my "all the gear all the time" training saved my head and skin. It does not have to be your fault when it happens to you, but it is your fault if you are not prepared. Thanks for reminding us.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You beat me by a year of riding... as I began in 1972. Good to hear that you're OK.

I've always thought that people can make their own decisions as to what to wear when they ride. It's their life and equipment! The Libertarian/Independent in me.

I've ridden in Langlitz Leathers for thirty years and this year, moved on over to Motoport Mesh Kevlar Jacket and Pants, both lightly armored, Kevlar gloves. Of course, FF helmet and Wesco and Aerostich boots.

When I once in a blue moon ride in jeans, say to visit a nearby friend or go to a party, I immediately miss the Kevlar pants.

Sure, when dressed up in Kevlar Mesh, I look like a BMW R1200GS rider. And that's not bad at all. I cannot tell you how much my family feels more comfortable knowing that I wear the best protective gear I can afford!

As always, YMMV and I respect what you wear and how you wear it.

For me, there are way too many cell phone fanatics and texters out on the streets and I need all the protection I can get.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
And, yes, maybe the thought of what could have been shook me up more than I realized.
+1 I was the same way when I got mashed head on by a drunk....stopped riding for 20 years it freaked me out so bad. But I got back on eventually. I think you might have lost traction due to sand or oil on the road...both which you can't prevent and many times don't see. So, stop beating yourself up about it. **** happens. Now when I get a close call I just figure I used one of my "9 lives". I think I have about 3 left.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 AM
kzoo
Road Master

Great write up. I ride with a leather jacket and gloves all the time, but never considered my legs! I will be looking for some decent overpants today!

My one trip across the pavement was in the "S" curve in Grand Rapids Michigan back in the 80's. Hit one of those expansion joints going waaaayyy to fast.. I was young and stupid.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lencap, thanks for the great write-up. Stuff happens, when we least expect it to happen. Glad you survived and are wiser for the experience. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep, I recently bought some used Motoport Ultra II Kevlar pants from another forum. Plan on using them more than my Levis. I do have Sliders Kevlar jeans as well.

Knees and hips can take a serious beating....glad you are doing okay. Healing takes so much longer the older I get...

Old 10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. The information you have posted is good for us all to remember.
I am glad to hear that you are ok and that your wife wasn't riding.

Attached Thumbnails After 40 Years of Riding - I hit the deck yesterday-lateryears.jpg