General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all hoka hey finishers DQ'D

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:42 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 347 Posts

Wow!!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

shame on the moco for getting involved in this...next time let HOG be your front man. there were people and sponsors on this forum trying to raise money to support riders(and sell merchandise)...shame on them too. the forum should have investigated the event before letting them sell windshields to support riders in the event. this will happen again...maybe new name or different promoters--but people love a challenge. this event could have been the experience of a life time for the participants--something to tell the grand kids about. i hate lawyers, but this is one time that i hope they get involved.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
there were people and sponsors on this forum trying to raise money to support riders(and sell merchandise)...shame on them too. the forum should have investigated the event before letting them sell windshields to support riders in the event.
I don't think the riders were the problem. They invested a lot of time & money.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 AM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not unexpected considering the record of the organizer. Next thing he will sue the 2010 winner and ask for the $500K back, if the winner was even paid the money in 2010. No one knows but the winner and the organizer if any money has ever been paid out.

From the front page of the Hoka Hey website. So it should not be a surprise to any of the participates. LOL

Expect the Unexpected!
http://hokaheychallenge2011.blogspot.com/

The 2012 Hoka Challenge is scheduled to run next August. The course will be LESS THAN 7,000 miles, to afford more riders the opportunity to participate. The anticipated total ride time should be 12 days or less. The route will once again take those who love to ride through the back roads of America. Applications will be available on the website in November. Please check our website for updates www.hokaheychallenge.com

Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
shame on the moco for getting involved in this...next time let HOG be your front man. there were people and sponsors on this forum trying to raise money to support riders(and sell merchandise)...shame on them too. the forum should have investigated the event before letting them sell windshields to support riders in the event. this will happen again...maybe new name or different promoters--but people love a challenge. this event could have been the experience of a life time for the participants--something to tell the grand kids about. i hate lawyers, but this is one time that i hope they get involved.
I am neither a sponsor, nor a participant in this race. But this, IMO, makes no sense whatsoever. Loos like the sponsors were supporting individual riders. How were they involved in any way in this shitshow?

As far as this Durham/Red Cloud guy goes, well, I really hope he screwed nice little citizen, because if he bent over the wrong guy, and screwed him for 250K, he might have the sun shining on his brains, on fine day. I've heard of people who got whacked over way less then a quarter million.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:02 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Unfortunately this is no big surprise to me. I followed the 2010 Challenge and the 2011 Challenge closely and read everything I could find before and after each event. It was hard to not come away from this without suspicions and doubts. I continue to hold in admiration all those participants from both challenges. They all did something that I personally could not even contemplate attempting. It is so sad that both year's events will now be forever marred with negative controversy. Somewhere P.T. Barnum is saying, "I told you so."

I remember going to the county fair as a kid. There was always the carnie guy who would guess your weight, birthdate, or age for a $1. If he was correct you lost your dollar. If he wasnt correct, you got a 50 cent prize. I felt pretty good that I won the prize. So did he.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

How many times have you been cruising down the highway, minding your own business and enjoying the smells and scenery and you suddenly discovered you were going 70 instead of the posted 60mph? Add in many long days of riding, fatigue, darkness and diverted attention looking for road signs and trying not to miss a critical turn and it's easy to see how a rider could be speeding and not even be aware of it. A Harley will cruise effortlessly at well above speed limits.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM
mikedabiker
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foodog I think they were disqualified for going 20 mph over the posted speed limits. Not just a few miles over. This year's rules had a clause in them that said if you go over by 20 mph or more you are toast. The way I read the articles the tracking devices emailed the organizers as soon as a rider went the 20 mph over the limit and at race end they verified all the complete logs of the riders and all had exceeded it. After being confronted with the actual documented logs none could then honestly pass a lie detector test stating they had not exceeded. So the organizers used the logs to hold their feet to the fire and they folded.
I didn't trust the organizer last year and not this year or any future years. I would ride in something like this if a respected organization put it on. But with all the money at stake you gonna have a lot of cheats. Just human nature.
Has anyone found out exactly what the Will guy did that kicked him out because it seems he may be a little different than the rest of the pack???

One other issue we keep saying all were disqualified and that is not correct. All that finished within the time limit for prizes were but there's plenty of riders that came in later and may have competed as the rules required. I'm not saying all riders were quilty of speeding.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-16-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedabiker
Has anyone found out exactly what the Will guy did that kicked him out because it seems he may be a little different than the rest of the pack???
Hmmmmm, wins what appears to be an impossible challenge TWICE in a row? Yeah, I would say "he may be a little different".

Quick Reply: all hoka hey finishers DQ'D