General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XR1200 for my wife??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I'm paying so I'm picking it. I'll enjoy the bike too but it serves a dual purpose. She can learn how to ride around town and I can rip around on it when she's not using it.

I can get the bike for just under $6k. That's a hard deal to pass up and it has low mileage.

I was considering getting an old import but I hate buying something twice. Usually ends up costing me a lot more money. As I said earlier, the XR will be my toy once she gets a tourer.
B]I'm paying so I'm picking it.[/B With that kind of statement you need to rethink your position in life!! Shame on you!!
The Sportster of any model is NOT a first-timers bike!!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
B]I'm paying so I'm picking it.[/B With that kind of statement you need to rethink your position in life!! Shame on you!!
The Sportster of any model is NOT a first-timers bike!!
Agreed. Like I stated earlier sportster ride very rough. They aren't cushy and for all the "Girl's bike" talk I hardly ever see any women on them. I'd personally let her pick unless of course the OP really doesn't want her to ride.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With that kind of statement you need to rethink your position in life!! Shame on you!!
It was said in jest......relax.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior

[B]I'm paying so I'm picking it. I'll enjoy the bike too but it serves a dual purpose. She can learn how to ride around town and I can rip around on it when she's not using it.

I can get the bike for just under $6k. That's a hard deal to pass up and it has low mileage.

I was considering getting an old import but I hate buying something twice. Usually ends up costing me a lot more money. As I said earlier, the XR will be my toy once she gets a tourer.
So why are you asking our opinion when you have clearly made up your mind for YOUR second bike? Clearly the bike is for you not her. Her butt will be on the seat trying to learn not yours. Therefore, she should have the first say as to what she thinks about the bike and what will make her comfortable in order to develop her skills. It is great she is six foot tall but the bikes are still heavy and have a lot of power.

Clearly you are forcing your potential new toy on her and it is all about you. Wow!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master

Its not my second bike. Its her first bike. I would keep it because I like the bike and it will save me the trouble of selling an import bike when she upgrades. I'm not forcing anything on her and if she sits on it, rides it and doesn't like it then I'm not going to buy it. We haven't even seen it in person although she likes the way it looks. The purpose of my post was to learn of the subtleties of the bike, not turn it into an episode of Dr. Phil.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The XR is smooth, comfortable, great brakes and handling. She would love it.

It is an exceptionally easy bike to handle. Shifts better than most HD's. Nice engaging clutch. Smooth throttle action.

As a collector, I have at least one of each family of HD bikes. The XR1200 is the best of them all in my opinion for the qualities that I stated. When I walk into the garage to pick one for a ride it is hard to pass it over.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-10-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl
So why are you asking our opinion when you have clearly made up your mind for YOUR second bike? Clearly the bike is for you not her...
You nailed it.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior

Its not my second bike. Its her first bike. I would keep it because I like the bike and it will save me the trouble of selling an import bike when she upgrades. I'm not forcing anything on her and if she sits on it, rides it and doesn't like it then I'm not going to buy it. We haven't even seen it in person although she likes the way it looks. The purpose of my post was to learn of the subtleties of the bike, not turn it into an episode of Dr. Phil.
Nice to know.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl
So why are you asking our opinion when you have clearly made up your mind for YOUR second bike? Clearly the bike is for you not her. Her butt will be on the seat trying to learn not yours. Therefore, she should have the first say as to what she thinks about the bike and what will make her comfortable in order to develop her skills. It is great she is six foot tall but the bikes are still heavy and have a lot of power.

Clearly you are forcing your potential new toy on her and it is all about you. Wow!

Yep. I see it that way too.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Talk about disappointing... read the title and thought, man some dude got a really good trade. Then discovered you wanted to buy one for your wife...

Quick Reply: XR1200 for my wife??