General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XR1200 for my wife??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:35 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Dunno what kinda deal you got in mind, but you can get a used SuperGlide for 6-7 grand around here--easier to ride, and not such violent acceleration. And at 6', she'll like that better.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

She'll like the XR1200. It has a low center of gravity although it is heavy like all HD's. Suggest installing some tip over protection in the form of frame sliders though if she is just starting out. It's going to get dropped on it's side a few times and it's easier to pay for frame sliders now than it is for the repair of a dented and scratched tank.

IMO if it is a first bike bike buy a scratched up Ninja 650, Yamaha FZ6R, Suzuki Gladius or something similar. They are not a sport bikes but sport tour bikes with a fairing for wind protection and a comfortable upright touring position. You can get a decent used one for $3000 and sell it a year latter at almost the cost you paid for it. Any first bike is going to get dropped on it's side a few times. In the lighter Kawi the DOHC twin 650 motor feels just as powerful as the 1200cc VTwin in my XR1200 and produces a similar amount of HP.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Last edited by fat_tony; 10-11-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

People here are slippin....Can't advise with out seeing the wife....

Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Yeah. Let her pick her own bike.
I'm paying so I'm picking it. I'll enjoy the bike too but it serves a dual purpose. She can learn how to ride around town and I can rip around on it when she's not using it.

I can get the bike for just under $6k. That's a hard deal to pass up and it has low mileage.

I was considering getting an old import but I hate buying something twice. Usually ends up costing me a lot more money. As I said earlier, the XR will be my toy once she gets a tourer.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff08fxdc
People here are slippin....Can't advise with out seeing the wife....

+1 Need to see what she looks like before any advice on whether to trade her for a HD or not is given!!_

Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I'm paying so I'm picking it. I'll enjoy the bike too but it serves a dual purpose. She can learn how to ride around town and I can rip around on it when she's not using it.

I can get the bike for just under $6k. That's a hard deal to pass up and it has low mileage.

I was considering getting an old import but I hate buying something twice. Usually ends up costing me a lot more money. As I said earlier, the XR will be my toy once she gets a tourer.
well, just be prepared for her to get frustrated and give up then. a sportster, any sportster, is not a good choice for a first bike. can they be? sure. just like a ratchet can be used as a hammer. is it the best choice? no.

there have been more than a few threads where the husband/boyfriend was determined to get the sig other to learn to ride, insisted on a sporty, and it ended up sitting unused in the garage. but hey, at least you'll still get your 'toy', right?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 PM
ropin4gold
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait until after she takes her MSF course, and then let her test out the xr1200. She will be able to tell you if she can handle it or not.....

Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Women tend to like softails or dyna's over sportsters. Sportsters ride really hard.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
well, just be prepared for her to get frustrated and give up then. a sportster, any sportster, is not a good choice for a first bike. can they be? sure. just like a ratchet can be used as a hammer. is it the best choice? no.

there have been more than a few threads where the husband/boyfriend was determined to get the sig other to learn to ride, insisted on a sporty, and it ended up sitting unused in the garage. but hey, at least you'll still get your 'toy', right?
What he said..

mavrick

Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it the perfect bike? Probably not but I can't get a softail or Dyna for $6k which is about my limit. Its better than no bike though.......

Quick Reply: XR1200 for my wife??