General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music In My Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
dortiz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music In My Helmet

Need some better ideas gang. My Ipod headphones just dont stay in my ears. There has to be a better solution. I saw threads mention Skull Candy and they have ear buds and some that hang on the ear. Any history with these?
About to go Iphone so was also wondering about Bluetooth and if that better.
lastly I am curious about small speakers in the helmet. Who makes those? Or do folks just use big headphones but chop them up?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Bluetooth is great but expensive.

As an alternative, go buy Skull Candy ear buds (or something similar). Put a tip on that is 1 size larger than you usually wear. Spin the earbuds so the cord points up not down, then run the lines over your ears and down the back side of your ears, then down your back so the cord meets in the middle of your back. They will stay in and the cord won't be blowing in front of you to hang up on your hands when you move them. And it also won't get tangled up when you buckle or unbuckle your helmet.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:21 PM
11FXS
Tourer

Dortiz are you using a half, 3/4, or ff?? I forget who makes the MOCOs but they make a set that will velcro to the ear wells on a 3/4 or ff helmet. They also make a pretty good pair for their half helmets that arent expensive at all..Me personally I have a pair of Klipsch S4 ear buds..they are noise cancelling and have an unbelievable sound to them. You can pick them up online 75 dollars or any Bestbuy. They make a great seal and have 3 different ear pieces to find the ones that fit your ears best. I wear mine with either my 3/4 or my half and they do the job nicely. They also make the S4i that has iPhone controls on the cables.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

I have been using the Blueant Interphone for about 2 years. Works like a champ and the lack of wires is a wonderful thing.
From the helmet mounted unit you can control volume, scroll back and forth through songs, start and stop songs, make voice phone calls, answer calls with your voice, auto volume feature so you don't have to keep adjusting it up or down for wind situations, and if a friend has one the intercom range is fantastic. Battery life is unbelievably long as well.
Shop around and you can find some great deals on the unit.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

Exactly the kind of great advice I knew I would find here. Whats the point of a 3/4 helmet if I cant rock it out

Thanks!!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't like using the earbuds. They get very uncomfortable after awhile, and that's if they stay in at all. I have speakers on my King, but when I'm tooling around on my DR, I needed a better solution. I bought a set of the best helmet speakers I could find. Had mixed reviews. Should have been my first warning. And sure enough, installing them and they were not even close to being loud enough. Any faster than 35 mph, and you may as well not be listening to anything, because you aren't. I took a pair of my home headphones and chopped them. Each speaker is about 3" and maybe 1/4" thick. Fit perfectly in the helmet liner, and I tucked the wire. I do have a wire to plug in, obviously, but it is screamin' loud! I don't understand how home headphones were my ticket and speakers like this made for helmets were crap? Either way, my problem was solved and it's been great ever since. I would rather have blue tooth or something like that but it's a bit expensive.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 10-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Dynomutt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're cheap like me, just buy a pair of earbuds with the plastic piece that goes around the ear and are made for activities such as running. JVC or similar will run you about $10. Rock on.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A pair of these tucked in the ear pad recesses on my helmet work great.

You could add some self-adhesive velcro type material to keep them in place if you like but I just put them in the oles and pull my 3/4 on.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/headp...eadphones.html

Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 PM
NY_Ken
Intermediate

I use the LG Bluetooth Stereo Headset HBS 700 and it is awesome! Full control of the Iphone-ipod from the neck set. The buds are extremely comfortable with jus a little wind noise from time to time above 70. When around town with the YL I can hear her shift her sporty behind me, so everything is not blocked out which is good. I stop to use the phone with push of a button on the neck set. The phone is in my coat/ vest pocket and the only wires goes from the neck to the ears under my half helmet. I touch a button to pause the music at a light to talk with the wife and touch the button on taking off. I love it. Here is a link to a CNet review.
http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/lg-...-34532029.html
It's worth checking out.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:21 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Skull Candy Ink'd ear buds and they work great. I ride without a windshield and at 70mph on the highway with loud pipes I can hear the music fine without turning the volume all the way up. Never had them fall out of my ears.

Quick Reply: Music In My Helmet