General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Midlife Crisis?...So Frickin What!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 50 now and have maybe 25 more summers to play. Glad you figured it out sooner than I.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Say this out loud:

"I was going to get a Harley, but my wife wouldn't let me"

We've all heard it and made the "other" choice. Now go and enjoy your crisis.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Gotta add something here -
The wife and I met up with a group of friends a while back. We decided to ride over. None of this group rides at all! One of the guys comments (innocently because I don't think he ever rode) that mabey he'd go out and buy one- his wife snapped back NO WAY!

NOW - THAT'S A BEGINNING - MIDDLE - AND END OF LIFE CRISIS!!
Ooohhh ... Snap ...! Sux to be him ...

Old 10-10-2011, 01:52 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
All of us generalize and marginalize one another. It's easier that way. (But very few do that to themselves. We're generally a lot better critiquing others than we are at evaluating ourselves...) You are living your life. That's all. A famous writer, sitting in a Tangiers cafe' and talking to another famous writer about Critics' reviews, said: "The dogs bark; but the caravan moves on..."

Alan
you getting a little deep for me there ALAN but i gotcha, and agree.

Youre living youre life.Thats it.What more are you suppose to do?
I have a friend that is about....60 somthing? Retired military guy.Starting riding again about 2 years ago after about 40 years. Midlife crisis??? probably....but hes having fun and he likes to ride.Hes no rub but he is kinda a poser.I gotta kinda look over him still to make sure he doesnt show up with a sons of anarchy shirt and i had to endure a couple of months of "a certain car on some unamed road almost killed me " story as if i had no idea that was even possible. I still routinely tell him to stfu....as he gets a little to excited about chrome and whatever other doo dad that jp comes out with ......but hes coming around. He will and has ridden in all kinds of weather....camped out low budget style etc....hes better in my book than alot of others who has been riding for years but choose when and where very carefully.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:16 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver

Gotta add something here -
The wife and I met up with a group of friends a while back. We decided to ride over. None of this group rides at all! One of the guys comments (innocently because I don't think he ever rode) that mabey he'd go out and buy one- his wife snapped back NO WAY!

NOW - THAT'S A BEGINNING - MIDDLE - AND END OF LIFE CRISIS!!
Nope that is emasculation and an empty marriage plus a whole lotta needed therapy
that will never happen

Old 10-10-2011, 05:40 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,648 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Josewales
Haha I will put some of your guys quotes on stickies and use them when needed.

Btw chaps I can never do....I rather put long johns on and hide my comfort:P

Chaps reminds me of that movie Travolta & Allen starred in.
Actually, chaps remind me of the cop in that movie!

I have been in MLC since I was 26;that's 30 years. But I am having more fun every year. It was touch & go a couple times due to health issues, but those have been resolved. I have 2 beautiful sleds,a nice house, a horny OL with big firm buckets & her own Harley, a job I love, a little nest egg,no kids or ball & chain to tell me I can't have a bike or a girlfriend, and I live in Florida! 'Course, not everything's perfect--I'd rather be in Texas, I'd rather live in the country, I'd rather be making a living as a musician,but what the hell--Life is good, and I got palm trees in my yard! I'm goin' out to the garage now to look at my sleds!

Last edited by dickey; 10-10-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Junior in NE
Road Master
Received 700 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by xk207
Congratulations! Tell the dummies it's not a mid-life crisis; it's a mid-life rebirth. Don't forget to live while you're waiting to die
Well said! People have been saying the same to me. Don't understand why it's a crisis, seems to me that it's a crisis avoided.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Turbinesaint
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would (jokingly) tell them that it was either me riding into work on the Harley or with the shotgun in my trunk and a list of names in my pocket because I'd had enough of all their crap. I'm sure the bike would win time and again. (I would be careful with whom I shared my joke though. . .some are very thin skinned)

Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josewales
Now in my 40's and first year with the Harley, I am always getting wise cracks from freinds and co-workers about being in a midlife crisis. Well ya if that is what you call it for being pissed off for not doing this years ago. I blame my need for having a new house and trucks for the last 20 years while building a pro career...now that the mortgage is becoming chump change, I felt hey it's time I toy myself up for once and feel like a kid again.

This is how it all came into perspective this year;

The first time on it and sticking to the neighborhood reminded me when my gramps took the training wheels off my bike when I was 4. Baby steps around the block first.

The first time I gassed up and noticed a milf staring at the bike....*shoulder check*:P

The first time I got on the highway for an all day trip to Sturgis North Salmon Arm rally. While my buddy of 60 insisted on going at least 100 all the way there and kept losing me...I found a convoy of hogs and stuck with them. That feeling of thunder was actually my moment of addiction. Can't imgaine what the real Sturgis is like...but plan to in 2015.

The first time I got to taste the family atmosphere. Again in Salmon Arm...I was blown away how friendly everyone was. At our campground is was like a big commune, where everyone was obliged to make sure it was home for all.

The first time I took it to the gym...and all the young cool kids stared. 'Ya that's right...when you grow up you can have one also:P' You guys may start to pump a few extra pounds of iron compared to me now...but that's all you got on me...haha. O wait...I forgot the age where there is a lot of female high tops that fall from trees. Still.

The first time I caught myself zoning out on the highway and visting that special place....hard to describe to to anyone that doesnt ride. But I tried.

And so on...

Damn it was one great summer....looking forward to repeating until my eyes go for the next 25 years or so.

For now, my so called midlife crisis has been awesome so far. Should of started on my midlife crisis in the 20's instead. But never to late!
Amen!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-03-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Midlife Crisis?...So Frickin What!