General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was thinking of getting one too. The most practical way of getting to a rally 1,000-2,000 miles away, with my wife on her Sportster, when I don't have 2-4 days each way to spend riding it.

My thinking was that the open trailer ONLY hauls the motorcycles, but the enclosed trailer could substitute for a tent, if we park the bikes outside, or could be used for storage of the bike or whatever. Seems like for a little extra, you'd get a lot more use and protection from the enclosed trailer.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually gave my rv camper to my grown kids. I use my 12x6x6 enclosed to sleep in even if we are doing something without the bikes. I insulated the inside. It has A/C, toilet, roll down carpet, removable wheel chocks, air mattress with frame. I can pull it cheap. Don't even feel it behind the truck. I installed windows and have one of them super quiet generators. If I take the motorcycle I still have a bed. Just a easy , light weight solution. My next project is a bus conversion with wheelchair lift so the bikes ride inside.
Originally Posted by brenn
I was thinking of getting one too. The most practical way of getting to a rally 1,000-2,000 miles away, with my wife on her Sportster, when I don't have 2-4 days each way to spend riding it.

My thinking was that the open trailer ONLY hauls the motorcycles, but the enclosed trailer could substitute for a tent, if we park the bikes outside, or could be used for storage of the bike or whatever. Seems like for a little extra, you'd get a lot more use and protection from the enclosed trailer.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 AM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxley Trailers and Chocks
I have a dealer that is selling a used GT2000 (double). It will carry two full size dressers. You can pull this trailer at speeds up to 100 mph (trust me, I've done it). And you never even know it's behind you unless you look in your rear view.... This trailer lists for $6200, but you could buy the used one for less than 5k. You can literally load your bike all by yourself in 30 seconds. The straps only have to be set once. When you tilt the trailer and ride onto the chock, simply get off and attach the straps (pulling the bike forward). Then you winch the trailer up into riding position and it tightens your straps. It loosens them as you tilt the trailer for unloading.

Kinda pricey for an open trailer. You could get a great enclosed one NEW for that price

Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 AM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 7X12 enclosed trailer and I can get two bikes in it when necessary. Get the wheel chocks from Harbor freight 39.95-49.95. they are just lke the condor for fraction of price. I've used my for longg hauls to New England and points south. great for recovery ops too. helped a few guys out on the local interstate. there is nothing like keeping the girl dry in the winter and protected from the elements. i drop a small space heater in it for the cold months just to keep the chill off. Added an RV power access port to the side and run a power strip into trailer for accessories, heater, lights, etc. Having a trailer with ramp door is very convient but not necessary. but I highly recomment an enclosed cargo trailer.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

Had a single bike enclosed (4X8 I think) with a ramp door; worked fine but now we're a two bike family (2 Dynas) and to get out of the arctic and down to good riding we use a 6X10 single axle by Wells Cargo with a ramp door and a side door; the bikes front wheel's ride in Wheel Docks; NO suspension loading.....
Wouldn't want to be without it where I live...also nice to have the bike "out of the elements" and "out of sight" when it is being hauled.
Trailer and both bikes are easily pulled by Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge half ton; no 3/4 ton trucks in this family anymore.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Baxley Trailers and Chocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kpb46
Kinda pricey for an open trailer. You could get a great enclosed one NEW for that price

You're correct. Our trailers are not cheap.... Here is a statement from our owner.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Baxley Trailers and Chocks
Former Sponsor

We don't try to compete with enclosed trailers. If someone wants an enclosed, then that's what they will buy.

We build our trailers for people who want an easy solution for loading and unloading. Anybody can load their bike, by themself in 30 seconds, only using 2 straps on the rear. It is the safest and easiest way to haul your bike.

One reason why our price is higher than our "open air" competition is the quality of materials and workmanship. Instead of the cheap tubular steel that bends or breaks easily, we use 11 guage carbon steel that should last a lifetime. We also use a textured powder coat the is very durable (slick finishes chip and scratch much easier).

Our wheel chocks come standard on the trailers too. This is a $580.00 value for 2 chocks.

Ask anyone who has owned a Baxley if they are worth the price. I am confident that you will get a yes from all of them.