General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:48 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Evaluate your situation first. If space is a premium, get an open trailer as they are more easily stored when not in use. They even make fold up trailers that can slide behind a tool box. Open trailers are typically more cost effective as well. They are also lighter, which can be easier on the fuel bill. Enclosed trailers are a brick, and can generate wind resistance. It does take a little more experience/skill to haul with an enclosed. Enclosed trailers often have features that some open trailers will not, such as trailer brakes (many opens have them, but it is uncommon not to see them on an enclosed) due to the weight. Whichever you decide, make sure to get a good trailer brake system that has a variable boost. I use the Tekonsha P3 in mt F-350 dually.
Enclosed trailers are good for privacy, security, and protection from the elements. Plus, they can dub as a storage trailer when not in use, can easily carry boxes if you plan on moving, and have a slightly better resale value. They also protect the vehicle from rock chips. Get one with a side door though, that way you can easily move in and out of the trailer to do things like checking the tie downs during the periodic rest/fuel stops. Enclosed trailers often are easier to load as well, plus gives you a clean, dry place to load the bike and even hang out in bad weather until the storms pass. Nothing like strapping down a vehicle in the pouring rain or hailstorm, as me how I know. Lastly, open trailers do not impede the driver's visibility like enclosed trailers do. This makes it easier to view how the bike is riding, easier to back up, etc.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:16 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason I bought an enclosed trailer is that while I was "on the road" as a contractor, my enclosed trailer was also my garage, providing security for my bike.

For me, the biggest advantage to an open trailer is that my truck gets much better gas mileage pulling an open trailer and I can also use an open trailer for hauling trash to the dump and hauling loads of mulch and rock for landscaping.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lost fuel pressure regulator 45 miles from home last year. Trailered her home then to the shop the next day. Spent two weeks and 170.00 dollars trying to fix a problem on my other bike. Ended up trailering it to a friends for him to help. Had to leave the bike--didn't have a ride home so trailer helped again. Trailer has come in handy. Remember having to load bikes in truck beds---don't want to do that again. Typed that, then remembered I stopped on the side of the road to see if a guy needed help with his motorcycle last year. He replied no, that they had a truck coming. Truck shows up just as I go to walk away and all that is in it is a young kid. Walked back up there and helped them load that sportster in the back.
Originally Posted by dieselguy65
never have had to do it. fixed it on side of road or pushed into a parking lot and fixed it. have had to call for parts, or walk to a parts store to buy a battery when charging system died. i will admit, my bikes have been on a trailer once. when moving from the great northwest back to texas. just wasnt feasable to make the trip with a truck and trailer full of tools, then two trips back to get bikes, with winter coming in. but just to trailer it to a place to ride, not happening. if i cant ride it there, i dont need to be there.

Last edited by oldairboater; 10-10-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 792 Posts

Here's one of the forum sponsors...
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13182517031971

Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Baxley Trailers and Chocks
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting our link!

We manufacture the absolute top of the line open trailer. They are true motorcycle trailers. Each on tilts to the ground for easy and safe one person loading. You can easily load any size bike, by yourself in 30 seconds and you only need 2 straps. Place 1 strap on either side of the rear of the bike, pulling the bike forward and you're done. Set your straps one time and zip tie them together. When you ride onto the wheel chock, you simply get off and attach straps. When you pull the trailer down into riding position, it tightens your straps for you. Same thing when you tilt it down for unloading, it loosens the straps. Here's a video:
Youtube video of all Baxley products in action

Our trailers are not the cheapest out there, but they're the best. And 100% American made, using only American components. Same with our chocks.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
kpb46
Road Master

If didn't have my lowhauler this is what I would have. Even if it is a single axle. A really sweet rig

http://www.aluminumtrailers.org/?page_id=18

Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depends on what kind of room you have to store a trailer and what you have to tow it with.
I for one don't have storage or a big tow vehicle.
I use a single Kendon, lite weight (300lbs), tail holds up and the trailer stands up on its storage wheels and can be pushed against a garage wall, very neat.
Tows real well.
Oh yes has a built in wheel chock that works well.
The attached picture was shot this afternoon, getting ready to leave from Canada, heading off to Biletoberfest on Wednesday.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer advice-dsc_0004-copy.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,650 Likes on 2,536 Posts

After seeing you'alls trailers, I'm ashamed to post mine. Single rail Continental, but I'm shopping around for a dual. Had it for 8 years & have never had to use it, except to pick up a buddy of mine's bike (that I sold him) when it broke down. Turned out to be the vacuum line popped of the carb, but we didn't see it 'till after we got it home.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer advice-dsci0885.jpg   Trailer advice-dsci0884.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an open utility trailer,6x10 bed with dove tail and fold down ramp. It has a rail on front and sides and several tie down loops. I installed a wheel chock,(tube type) The trailer has 15 inch wheels. It tows well,is easy to load a bike and can also be used for hauling brush,gravel,mulch,lumber,etc.
I wouldn't use it to haul a bike down a gravel road for any distance.
There are advantages and disadvantages to enclosed and open. You have to decide what works for you.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Baxley Trailers and Chocks
Former Sponsor
Default Dickey

Originally Posted by dickey
After seeing you'alls trailers, I'm ashamed to post mine. Single rail Continental, but I'm shopping around for a dual. Had it for 8 years & have never had to use it, except to pick up a buddy of mine's bike (that I sold him) when it broke down. Turned out to be the vacuum line popped of the carb, but we didn't see it 'till after we got it home.
I have a dealer that is selling a used GT2000 (double). It will carry two full size dressers. You can pull this trailer at speeds up to 100 mph (trust me, I've done it). And you never even know it's behind you unless you look in your rear view.... This trailer lists for $6200, but you could buy the used one for less than 5k. You can literally load your bike all by yourself in 30 seconds. The straps only have to be set once. When you tilt the trailer and ride onto the chock, simply get off and attach the straps (pulling the bike forward). Then you winch the trailer up into riding position and it tightens your straps. It loosens them as you tilt the trailer for unloading.

Quick Reply: Trailer advice