General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to justify heated jacket liner

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,160 Likes on 6,705 Posts

If the fur from dead animals can't keep you warm, then there is too much salt on the road. It's the law.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where do live where they salt the roads in October? If I were going to invest in heated gear it would glove liners or grips, my hands always freeze way before my body.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in upstate NY.

Salted roads are not common in october, but it has happened. Usually by december, often in november, and somtimes even in october.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I live in upstate NY.

Salted roads are not common in october, but it has happened. Usually by december, often in november, and somtimes even in october.
Ok a little north of me then, I still ride after they salt, not a huge deal really if you have some self car washes close by, I have one 1/2 a mile from my house.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Sturgeon
Road Captain
Received 371 Likes on 206 Posts

There worth the money. And they stand behind them. Gene

Old 10-08-2011, 12:06 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heated gloves, jacket liner, pants, socks. Go for the Gusto, man. You won't regret it.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:19 AM
KBour
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Mittens Anyone?

The OP was asking about heated vests; however, where gloves are concerned, I have had good luck with Thinsulate-lined motorcycle mittens called Lectra-Mitts http://www.constructiongear.com/battery-heated-nordic-gear-lectra-mitt-lm20.html. The major benefit is that the fingers keep each other warm. As soon as the digits are separated, as they are with regular gloves, it is almost impossible to keep them warm when the temperature gets below 50 degrees. Some people say that it is difficult to operate the controls, but I have not found that to be the case. Although the Lectra-Mitts support batteries for the heat, I usually just wear a pair of polypropylene liners inside the mittens and my binties stay toasty warm.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:30 AM
KBour
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cocheese72
I would say, stick with the Gerbing brand, they have been around and give a lifetime warranty.
Thanks for the tip! The only heated motorcycle clothing brand I knew of before this thread was Aerostitch. I don't own either, but will certainly check out Gerbing if I decide to add some heated pieces for this coming season.

Ken

Old 10-08-2011, 03:54 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gonna let the biker poser come out in me, but I hang it up when the weather is bad too. That is what I have an F-350 for. That being said, I have a heated jacket liner, and love it! On the rare winter trip to the mountain slopes, it makes snowboarding and skiing a pleasure! Goes great with my heated socks, which sort of suck! Good by theory, bad by design.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Johnny K
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heated gear let me extend my riding season by several months AND get in at least two rides a month all winter long

As a result, I not only saved on gas compared to the car, I saved on any winterizing activities (oil change, battery tender, etc). If you keep riding all year, no need to "prep" the bike for storage.

Quick Reply: Trying to justify heated jacket liner