General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coming from rocker cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:26 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my both my upper and lower rocker boxes. I hope its not the same bolt, but i did have to cut an allen wrench to make a tool. Cut about an inch or so off a mismatch allen wrench and then used a wrench to tighten the bolt... That was the worst bolt to tighten, i dont remember which bolt however. It may have been under the cover, but just another thought if you cant get any other tool to fit.

And im glad its not leaking today, maybe it was a fluke...

Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shimmon
I replaced my both my upper and lower rocker boxes. I hope its not the same bolt, but i did have to cut an allen wrench to make a tool. Cut about an inch or so off a mismatch allen wrench and then used a wrench to tighten the bolt... That was the worst bolt to tighten, i dont remember which bolt however. It may have been under the cover, but just another thought if you cant get any other tool to fit.

And im glad its not leaking today, maybe it was a fluke...

Yeah, I hope so. I'll be watching it pretty close for the next few days. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:33 PM
nwbikerid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Things that go away by themselves have a tendency of coming back, probably just needs to get hot enough, or a longer ride.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Yep, road it home in hotter weather and it did come back. This time, instead of one little trail, there are four little trails. And I don't have the right size tools to mess with it.

So I called the dealer where I got it, and they said it didn't sound serious and the soonest they could look at it would be next Thursday. I don't think so. It's my only transportation right now and my days off are Monday (shops closed) and Tuesday.

So I called the other dealer in town and they are going to look at it tomorrow when I get off work. Of course, they may not be able to fix it then as they'll only be open a couple of hours by then. But at least they'll look at it and get me fixed before the end of next week.

What could cause this? I mean, it's got 3200 miles on it now. It's been in extreme temps of 113 and 42 degrees. It's been on a 1020 mile round trip. And it's had it's 1,000 mile service a couple of weeks ago, with all synthetic used. What would cause this now?? I always let it warm up before taking off in the mornings. And it's never had cold water on the hot engine. I'm at a loss as to what could cause this all of a sudden. I want to clean it off so bad, but want it to be present for them to trace back to the source!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

No need to remove the tank just get one of these...

http://www.mactools.com/shoponline/p...mn08-0220.aspx

Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Nice tool. But if doesn't have a couple of bends in it, it won't get up under the tank. Here's the best picture I have of the area. Note the position of the tank over the forward most bolt on that rear cylinder. That's where I think the oil is coming from. What's eating at me more than anything, is why did it just all of a sudden start leaking?

Last edited by DannyZ71; 10-07-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Yeah, I hope so. I'll be watching it pretty close for the next few days. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.
If possible, try and clean up any debris at or near where the leak is coming from so you can locate the leak...Degreaser and some water is a good start...It may be simpler than it appears!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
exhuberant1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem just started on my evo. About 5000 miles on it. The bike had sat for about two years before I bought it. Tried to tighten things up, but looks like the gaskets are done for. The leaks gettin bigger.
About to pull the tank and change gaskets. Wondering if anything I need to look out for while cracking it open. New to this......

Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by exhuberant1
Same problem just started on my evo. About 5000 miles on it. The bike had sat for about two years before I bought it. Tried to tighten things up, but looks like the gaskets are done for. The leaks gettin bigger.
About to pull the tank and change gaskets. Wondering if anything I need to look out for while cracking it open. New to this......
You'll probably find most posts following this will be for the original post instead of yours.
Also, I'd guess most haven't had an evo and don't have a clue what the differences are - myself included.
My suggestion - Start a new thread in the EVO section and you'll get answers from EVO people.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
The way it trailed down from the top, it looked like it was coming from the area of that one bolt that is up under the tank. Is it possible that bolt is loose and it's coming from there? It's the first time I've seen it, and like I said it wasn't very much at all.

Looks like I need to take it to the dealer.
That's a bummer for a 2011, but it's an easy fix, if it's under warranty let the dealer do it, if not it's a 4 beer job on a Sunday afternoon.

If the gasket is leaking "torguing it down" is not going to fix it, once it leaks it has to be replaced. Luckily a rocker gasket replacement is real easy.

Quick Reply: Oil coming from rocker cover?